13 replies to this topic

#1 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I received a request today from a member looking to buy an underlever hunting rifle. Seeing I have owned a HW97k and a TX200 (MK2 and MK3) He asked my opinion so...

Here goes!

I kept my tx200 over the HW97k because I was pushed at the time as I had three underlever springers the TX200 Mk2, Mk3 and HW97k and two had to go quickly as money was tight. I plumped for the TX for its simple design and maintenance procedure (a consideration in my circumstances) and the added comfort of a dedicated right hand stock. BUT, the 97 is not to be dismissed and you shall read why below.

To help you decide here is a break down of the two rifles in my experience.

TX200 MK3. (.177 Full length rifle)

As a Hunter in the field - 8/10;

Well balanced, comfortable, good length (full rifle) matched with deadly accuracy. The HC with a silencer is quieter than the full length but longer. I have shot a .22 HC and was very impressed but be aware that the silencer is approximately £40 extra. Also be aware that to keep things silent, you must hold down the catch of the right of the action to prevent the bear trap clicking. No biggy, but not required on the 97. I've marked the full length variant down to 8/10 because of the louder report of the bull barrel, but a HC would probably get 8.5-9/10.

Maintenance - 9/10;

Extraordinarily simple to strip down. Once the main screw has been undone, the trigger unit slides out of the rear along with spring and the rest of the internals. If not placed rear down on a table, the guts will literally fly out of the back end, in my case requiring careful cleaning after collecting mud and crap!!!
The cocking linkage has a 'pingfuckit' circlip either side to hold it in place and I have lost two to date in the dense undergrowth prompting a purchase of 20 3mm circlips as spares off eBay. Not so with the 97 as a drift pin is required to knock it out.

Out of the Box -10/10;

Doesn't need tuning until spring wears out. Superb gun.

HW97k (.177)

As a Hunter in the Field - 9/10;

Possibly a fraction lighter than the TX200, excellent balance, Silenced as standard and included in the price. Mine was secondhand and the previous owner had lined it with sponge... some say that helps quieten it. Not quite so comfortable due to the ambi stock.
A button on the fore-end releases the underlever meaning a sling can be securely attached. This can be done with the TX but not with the same level of security due to the ball type catch.
Of course as deadly accurate as the TX. I have marked the HW97k higher because of its silencer and overall length. A TX200 HC would be as quiet, but longer. Ok in the fields, but a consideration in woodlands and hides.

Maintenance - 8/10;

As per their reputation, expect solid german over engineering. The 97k needs a set of drift pins to release the trigger unit and cocking linkage and care needs to be taken not to lose little springs and you must remember exactly where they go! Its honestly not overly complicated, but like ze germans, you must be organised. The end cap then needs unscrewing which can initially be tricky and stiff. Be aware it is also under pressure from the spring which makes reassembly a bit of a pain as you're fighting the spring and trying to ensure the threads are aligned correctly. All these measures may sound off putting but they make for an exceptionally well built gun.

Out of the box - 8/10;

Due to Weihrauchs recent spring shortening and cutting practice, it's advised you tune it or at least check, and if needs be, change the spring. Not doing so risks leaving a sharp, burred spring end rubbing the inside of the piston. Sad to say as this is lets an excellent rifle down and is needless and avoidable on HW/Hull Cartridge’s part.

The above is my humble opinion and experience. My final piece of advice is to confirm/discredit it by handling them both and seeing which of the two speaks to you personally. My circumstances are rather peculiar and as such, I have unique demands and considerations regarding my equipment.

I hope the above is of some use.
  • andyfr1968 and villaman like this

#2 andyfr1968

andyfr1968

Pro hunter/fettler

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Good comparison and I agree 100% with all you've said :victory:

#3 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

cheers mate going down to local gun shop when i can get a lift to see which one feels best

#4 Gamatech

Gamatech

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

This is great and very useful. I've been scratching my head on this topic to the point that I haven't got much of a skull left. If I may ask though, do you think that the 97K needs to be tuned to reach the same level of performance as the TX200? I have read many a quote saying that it should be to reach these levels. I know that there is almost nothing in it, but accuracy is my top top priority :boogie: I want to be sure that It can match the accuracy of the TX200 out of the box or if I need to pay extra to get it to this point :hmm:

Edited by Gamatech, 27 May 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#5 gurtwurz

gurtwurz

Extreme dog walker

• Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

You'll need to tune a 97 to get the best out of it mate, a stage 1 tune'll cost up to 70, and a stage 2 around 150 so factor that into your budget.

Cheers, wurz

#6 Gamatech

Gamatech

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

You'll need to tune a 97 to get the best out of it mate, a stage 1 tune'll cost up to 70, and a stage 2 around 150 so factor that into your budget.

Cheers, wurz

Would these tunes remain under the 12 foot pound limit? :signthankspin:

#7 Mawders

Mawders

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yes

#8 villaman

villaman

Pro hunter

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Spot on reviews mate :thumbs:

#9 fret78

fret78

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Top review. I've got the Hw97kt, but it's away for tuning, but I'm saving hard to get the pro sport because it looks and handles soooo nice..

#10 sparkycrew

sparkycrew

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

fret78 where abouts in sheff are you buddy,it seems i could be local to you,i have a prosport .177 maybe you could show me how to use it correctly,it can be devestatingly accurate,then the next group i shoot can be all over,still its my first rifle and ive only had a couple of months 

regards nick

pm me if your interested

#11 fret78

fret78

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

fret78 where abouts in sheff are you buddy,it seems i could be local to you,i have a prosport .177 maybe you could show me how to use it correctly,it can be devestatingly accurate,then the next group i shoot can be all over,still its my first rifle and ive only had a couple of months 

regards nick

pm me if your interested

pm on it's way buddy

#12 Thoreau

Thoreau

The Very Simular to Mileagajo Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Great analysis, cheers milegajo.

Why are your "circumstances.. rather peculiar and as such, I have unique demands and considerations regarding my equipment."?! I only ask as I'm curious as to how that may have swayed your ratings.

#13 dhand62362

dhand62362

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

cheers mate going down to local gun shop when i can get a lift to see which one feels best

hugo did you manage to try the two rifles in question, which one came out on top ?

#14 hugo1

hugo1

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

hugo did you manage to try the two rifles in question, which one came out on top ?
yes tryed both and went for the 97 just cause it felt better but does need tuning as has hell of a twang but other than that there wasn't much in it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users