food costs ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[/quote i wish i was closer mate, it seems like no one near me ferrets :/ i havnt even been out ferreting before but i know i will like it but its just getting to no the ropes thanks mate   than

mine cost very little if anything to feed. but i do have the use of a large freezer for dog/ferret food. they have any chickens that i cull as im breed them, rabbits, crows, and im also lucky to have

hey well im interested in getting a couple of ferrets and was just wondering how much a week it costs you to feed your ferrets and what yous feed them on and how many you got.   im still at school s

I use fleece blankets from the poundshop. Had some of the blankets about 5 year, bang them in the wash every week and

done. Bet ive saved a fortune in bedding over the years by using em compared to a pack of straw every week etc.

Dont forget to rinse the washer out after LOL. I foget sometimes :whistling::icon_redface:

Edited by joe14

Just putting seven, thirteen kilo boxes of chicken in the freezers for sixty notes for the ferts that will see them feed till ferreting time cheers Bobo

That must be a bloody big freezer mate haha.

[/quote

mate if you were closer i would give you a hutch and two kits, i just like to see youngsters giving it a go, surely someone can help this lad out. good luck bud

i wish i was closer mate, it seems like no one near me ferrets :/ i havnt even been out ferreting before but i know i will like it but its just getting to no the ropes :( thanks mate

I've not read the posts in this so ill probabley be repeating alot of stuff already said however.. its really cheap if you look around..

firstly.. they eat pretty much anything you hunt.. then if you run out of game.. just go to the "oops" isle in asda or tesco or wherever you shop.. or the reduced to get rid of stuff section.. pick up some mince, chicken, turkey.. anything that isnt pork really.. I always have buiscut ready just incase so one bag usually lasts quit a while..

bedding i use shredded paper.. my misses works in a school so i get binbags full of it.. when its cold i use straw or hay from pets at home it lasts me ages as i dont use it often.. people say dont use it but ive never ever had a problem with it as long as you get the dust extracted stuff.... mostley though i use old clothes.. old pillowcases.. towels .. anything you dont mind loosing really

i think i go through wood shavings more than anything else but its so tightly packed you get quit a bit out of it.

I know my misses was concerned on the cost but really.. as long as you stock game up at the end of the ferreting season.. keep a bag a busuit just incase and buy cheapy tescos own mince etc. ... its REALLY cheap... oh and i stock up on ferret paste but thats cos im rubbish at putting collars on..

thinking of which collars and a locator will set you back a bit probabley....

good luck

thanks for the info.. i was thinking that about the locators and collars are going to cost me a bit :/ but i would rather save for that than out on the streets blocked suppose... im just looking something to keep me busy really im at that annoying age where all my mates go out and get drunk every weekend but its not for me i would rather be out in a field with a ferret or something mate

• Like 3

mine cost very little if anything to feed. but i do have the use of a large freezer for dog/ferret food. they have any chickens that i cull as im breed them, rabbits, crows, and im also lucky to have a couple of very good friends who give me spare rabbits etc if their freezer is full. also look out for roadkill! can be done almost for free if you have a large enough freezer. good luck :thumbs:

• Like 2

not enough vitamins etc in dog biscuits, they should be fed the proper ferret biscuits as they cant digest them properly, give mine a egg yolk once a week mixed in with lacotose free milk, they love it, never give them the whites off a egg, pigeon breast and leg, mince, ox kidney, pheasant, rabbit, cheap stewing steak and you wont go far wrong, look on freecycle for a hutch, if youve got one in your area, its where people give stuff away, hope this helps you in your adventure, contact me anytime for any info, atb mate

• Like 1

i would deffo save up for a locator. when i first started out i thought i dont need a locator, my ferret wont kill etc, but i wouldnt dream of putting my best jills down a hole without one on. a good ferret is worth its weight in gold so look after them. try to get the best working ferrets you can get, iv had some shit ones before and its worthless looking after them.

keep looiing at the freeadds and stuff like that for a hutch ask everyone ya know as well as there are a lot of people that have had a rabbit at some time most of my hutches have come this way i never turn one down if its offered. as for feeding them biscuits these days are good enough to feed all the time and can be bought for 20 quid for 15-20kilos its not th best diet for them by any stretch of the imagination. if you want to keep them for nothing as said its possible with a bit of work roadkill and freebies to top up what ya ferret in winter.

these days everyone uses a locater i certainly do for speeding up the job as much as knowing where the stinkers are. but when i was a kid i never used one coz i didnt have the brass i just chose the warrens i could see completely and used them loose never lost one using this method but i have been sat on a warren for a good few hours waiting for one to come back lol

good luck with it mate

They can be very cheap to keep. I have a chest freezer which i can keep about 60+ rabbits in and these are used during the months that i don't go ferreting. I feed rabbit in the evenings when the weather is hot and remove the bones the next morning to prevent it smelling. Then i feed biscuits during the day, but they don't tend to eat as much in the summer anyway. In the winter, they are pretty much fed pure rabbit. I also feed the odd egg/pheasant etc to mix it up