Folks, without doubt, Recharge, is the way to go when running dogs have been run hard ect. :yes::thumbs:

This is from my experience from the passed with lamping dogs.

Some very good point here from Millet and Moscow. :good:

This recharge gear, Do you give it the dog before, during or after? or do you only give it the dog after?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Paulus will be aware after the research he has done following problems with his dog there is a lot of talk about electrolytes on the greyhound data forum and there seems to be an informed opinion a

Sandy how are you meant to get a exausted dog to lift it's head up never mind eat anything..a squirty bottle full of recharge is the way forward to blast it straight down there throat..that way you kn

interesting read on electrolyte,feeding and excercise from a greyhound vet and surgen http://www.monashvet.com.au/greyhounds.htm

Folks, without doubt, Recharge, is the way to go when running dogs have been run hard ect. :yes::thumbs:

This recharge gear, Do you give it the dog before, during or after? or do you only give it the dog after?

after :thumbs:

On the bottle it says, give it before running and after, it also tells you how much to mix with water each time. :thumbs:

I can only speak as I find, and I can definitely say that Recharge has helped my dogs more times than I can remember. Dogs sometimes drink and drink after a hard day or night, and I assume they are drinking unusual amounts of water in an attempt to replenish not only water levels, but the electrolyte balance in their bodies. After giving Recharge they have never gone into that drink-pee cycle, and recover much faster than if they had only been given plain water.

Despite the fact that Recharge is made for canines, and not humans, I've also drank it myself whilst out on a hard day's coursing: the sort of day that used to leave me with a raging headache due to exhaustion and dehydration. Carrying a thermos of tea didn't help at all (tea is a diuretic anyway!) I used to feel much fresher and with more energy if I'd sipped the dog's Recharge from time to time during the day!

Also, if a dog has started to pee dark coloured after a hard course, Recharge seemed to put that right very quickly: and the dogs I ran lived into old age healthy and well (barring fatal accidents of course)

So all this debate about exactly what does what I leave to the experts: Recharge has always worked for my dogs so I'll continue to use it: after all, it was developed for running dogs.

• Like 2

I can only speak as I find, and I can definitely say that Recharge has helped my dogs more times than I can remember. Dogs sometimes drink and drink after a hard day or night, and I assume they are drinking unusual amounts of water in an attempt to replenish not only water levels, but the electrolyte balance in their bodies. After giving Recharge they have never gone into that drink-pee cycle, and recover much faster than if they had only been given plain water.

Despite the fact that Recharge is made for canines, and not humans, I've also drank it myself whilst out on a hard day's coursing: the sort of day that used to leave me with a raging headache due to exhaustion and dehydration. Carrying a thermos of tea didn't help at all (tea is a diuretic anyway!) I used to feel much fresher and with more energy if I'd sipped the dog's Recharge from time to time during the day!

Also, if a dog has started to pee dark coloured after a hard course, Recharge seemed to put that right very quickly: and the dogs I ran lived into old age healthy and well (barring fatal accidents of course)

So all this debate about exactly what does what I leave to the experts: Recharge has always worked for my dogs so I'll continue to use it: after all, it was developed for running dogs.

since the problem i had with one of my dogs, ive been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject and do believe products like recharge, ect do have a place in mild forms of cramps , acidosis. but i will add in the dog suffers rhabdomyolysis theres little that can be done to stop it, it has to run its course. most isotonic energy drinks contain the same ingredients as recharge. Maltodextrin is the magic ingredient :thumbs:

i will do my best to explain what i know,

most dogs pushed hard enough will suffer cramps and pull up, its the natural thing for the dog to do to stop it damaging its body further, at this point would an electrolyte drink do any good?well propably yes as any breaking down of the muscle is minor, if the dogs goes futher than cramps, then acidosis occurs as the muscle starts to break down .again would electrolytes do any good then yes, or at least they wont do any harm.so both these conditions are the dogs natural defense to stop more harm being done.we dog lads push our dogs alot harder than even the greyhound trainers a typical greyhound in training once fit gets 2x20min walks per day, maybe on or two 400mtr gallops a week and raced maybe once a fortnight. now heres my theory on rhabdomyolysis. after talking to a couple of greyhound trainers and having had it happen to one of my own dogs. it appears that the dogs who tend to suffer this are of the excitable type i.e full on. i believe this type of dog gives its all and more when running to the point where it does harm to itself by going through the point where most normal dogs would pull up. in the greyhound world rhabdomyolysis is reffered to as running its back off, one greyhound trainer i talked to had 20 dogs in training/racing at the time and only one had suffered this, it was not the fastest dog in his kennels but was, as he put it the most excitable and determined, heres where sandy will disagree with me but the greyhound men recomend vit e for these dogs in a bid to try to calm them down as on race days there race is run before they get on the track as they get that excitable on the way there and there walk to the traps.

rhabdomyolysis can take up to 24hrs to show itself fully, after a course it will just look like cramps/acidosis and the dog will recover quickly. however within 24hrs the dog will be in extreme pain as the muscle breaks down and gets absorbed into the blood. as this blood reaches the kidneys the particles are to big for the kidneys to filter and the dog will adopt a position unable to move due to the pain. this took 3 days to subside in my dog after which all his back muscle had gone. its took 12 odd weeks to get him back right. will this happen again? i think its most likely as he is still as determined as hes ever been.

• Like 1

Spot on . :good:

A collapsed dog, glassy eyed, foam flecked sides with lolling tongue and shallow rapid breathing is not going to be helped with a drop of salt water nor glucose. Cooling and getting them to a vet is all you can do.. Those that think that they can deal with it with a silly little drink that is basically a canine version of lucozade sport shouldn't own a dog. Collapsed dogs are in a bad way and need expert intervention. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermia#Treatment

As stated cooling is often key but stopping them drinking to much is also important as this can cause fluid overload and so lead to brain injury. As dogs don't sweat they use water to cool down and if excessively hot tend to drink excessively, Not good! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Collapsed or very hard run dogs will have muscle breakdown so they will most likely have very high levels of electrolytes in their blood, adding more? again Not Good! This is not rocket science just bloody common sense! One of the main salts in resorb is potassium, to much causes heart problems, and as the damaged muscles have just dumped all their potassium into the blood stream what twit adds more in the form of a drink????? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemia#Signs_and_symptoms

For those that have run to exhaustion rather than collapse small amounts of glucose water may help recovery if they can tolerate it. but again the main theme is to cool down the body, those that are able will lay in puddles themselves but when collapsed will need to be carried. Again controlled drinking is key to stop the risk of fluid overload.

Close monitoring of urine out put and colour is important. The reality is that glucose or Resorb/ lucozade type sport drinks are not going to avert rhabdomyolysis as the muscle breakdown will already be done. Neither will it mean that a dog that over drinks will avert the risk of fluid overload and the possibility of brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exertional_rhabdomyolysis

At the end of the day electrolytes are just a drink of water with a little added salt, if people really believe it to be some wonder medicine that cure blindness, stop rhabdomyolisis and brings about a miraculous recovery to what are probably hyperthermic dogs then all I can say is some people are extremely credulous and I've got some magic fairy dust that cures all ills, £50 a tub..

Edited by sandymere

I don't think for one moment that people are saying that it is a cure for hyperthermia (heatstroke), just that it aids with re-hydration. A dog which is collapsing, has collapsed through either exhaustion or hyperthermia does need expert attention and fast.

I've never had a dog in that state as I don't run my dogs unfit, to the point of exhaustion or in hot weather, but a moderately tired dog that has put in a big effort certainly benefits from a purpose-made electrolyte solution: just my experience in the matter.

• Like 1

since the problem i had with one of my dogs, ive been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject and do believe products like recharge, ect do have a place in mild forms of cramps , acidosis. but i will add in the dog suffers rhabdomyolysis theres little that can be done to stop it, it has to run its course. most isotonic energy drinks contain the same ingredients as recharge. Maltodextrin is the magic ingredient :thumbs:

Is rhabdomyolysis not caused because a dog is not at full fitness when run hard though Paul, you would/should not run a dog to the degree Moscow and Millet are one about when not fit. Their examples are of dogs in peak fitness being worked hard :thumbs:

Now I'm not an expert on nutrition, but surely a dog working hard for the extended periods mentioned here will have a high rate of metabolism? If so, it's urine is going to be quite strong and so salt levels will drop, unless you have a dog that doesn't piss! :laugh: Obviously I'm not talking about the little trips round the fields that I manage from time to time, but on extended 6/7 hour trips that are being talked about on this thread..