Bore guides......

Hi all..., I was looking for a little help in relation to custom bore guides., I've spent hours trawling the net but haven't really found anything worthwhile..rather than using the "standard" bore guides available from most outlets I hoped to invest in several custom made jobbies., I've looked into the Lucas ones but it was a non starter :( Im not a fan of the plastic tube type or the universal ones.....is there anyone in the uk that makes custom bore guides at a reasonable price ? If not, what brand did you find to be the best quality whilst still offering good value for money

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the two guide blanks, I have turned them to diameter and final length and they are ready to be marked for the cut for the bolt release catch, this will enable them to be locked in place durin

I was wrong, the short series is GBP27.95 and the long series with port is GBP30.95, both are fitted with O rings, come with spares and include delivery. The long one looks very similar to this but wi

I enjoy work and tend to put the hours in when things need doing plus this is a new business and a real challenge that I enjoy immensely, right now I am meeting some very good people and developing lo

Posted Images

I'm looking to replace several old Dewey ones... First on the list is the weirauch hw60j in 17hmr & an anschutz model 1417 in 22 Rimfire. I've tried several different brands but I was looking to invest in a good quality one that wouldn't ever need replacing.

I'm looking to replace several old Dewey ones... First on the list is the weirauch hw60j in 17hmr & an anschutz model 1417 in 22 Rimfire. I've tried several different brands but I was looking to invest in a good quality one that wouldn't ever need replacing.

They look like awkward ones to get off the shelf Heritage, as you say, better if someone could make you one to fit. Although you can get the possum bore guides for different models.

Well for all those who struggle with bore guides I thought I just let you know that after following the excellent advice (and link) from dicehorn I rang the shooting shed., I spoke to them for some considerable time and it soon became apparent how passionate they are when it comes to all things shooting, there customer service and level of understanding of a customers requirements has to be commended, having seen some stunning examples of there custom work I've opted for 2 bespoke rod guides and even at this early stage things are looking good.., I'll give a brief review on the product & company as and when I can but in the meantime a huge thankyou must go to dicehorn :)

Here are the two guide blanks, I have turned them to diameter and final length and they are ready to be marked for the cut for the bolt release catch, this will enable them to be locked in place during use, then it is just a matter of a tidy up and polish and they are ready for use.

6082 T6 Aluminium.

7189661071_1b9f0d6ea3_z.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, there looking superb !! it looks as though my search for the perfect bore guides will soon be at an end.......upto yet the customer service and communication has been better than anything ive ever experienced.,how you can come up with the goods in such a short space of time really is beyond me..,especially when you consider there bespoke and not your typical "off the shelf " type..for all those reading this post who are having "bore guide grief " youve just got to contact the shooting shed for yourselves....it takes all the aggrivation out of sourcing a relativley simple item that is gaurenteed to fit and work as it should.., i cant wait to recive the finished items and get cleaning......THANKYOU :thumbs:

I cannot guarantee it will always be like this!

I have spent 8 hours on a Mill today making heads and legs for F/TR bipods which is always a noisy exercise plus quite tiring after a while so I was glad to be able to retire to a lathe which gives me a chance to relax slightly, grab a coffee and have a think about things. Top of the pile of drawings were the notes for the guides from your phone call and as I was cutting the correct material for some R93 guides I added yours. It seemed rude not to :boogy:

I still have a bit more to do before today is over.....

Funny this, Im waiting for a sako 75 22-250 bore guide on back order, not sure how long it will be so how much would it cost and how long would the bore guide take to make?

Edit to say: obviously not ordered from yourselves and the above post wasn't visable when I replied :hmm: so I guess there could be a wait :whistling: but at the right price they look worth it ;)

Edited by sako

I cannot guarantee it will always be like this!

I have spent 8 hours on a Mill today making heads and legs for F/TR bipods which is always a noisy exercise plus quite tiring after a while so I was glad to be able to retire to a lathe which gives me a chance to relax slightly, grab a coffee and have a think about things. Top of the pile of drawings were the notes for the guides from your phone call and as I was cutting the correct material for some R93 guides I added yours. It seemed rude not to :boogy:

I still have a bit more to do before today is over.....

Good service and guide @Ovenpaa , hopefully you get some more business from the members on here.

The Sako 75 is a great rifle but awkward to build guides for... I always try to build my guides in such a way that they are locked into the action, usually with the bolt release catch however the Sako uses a very small area, from memory it means fitting a 2,5mm stud that is hard to position even with the rifle in front of me, because of that I build my Sako guides with a Nitrile O ring on the Nose section which gives a snug fit and prevents bleed back of cleaning fluid from the barrel into the action, I also oversize the bore of the guide by .025" so there is less resistance on it.

You have a choice of two types, short which extends back from the rear of the action by a short distance or long which is a bit longer and includes a cleaning port, I can confirm the dimensions tomorrow as the drawings for the Sako are on a different computer.From memory they are around 225,0mm and 275,0mm Material is polished 6082 T6, they come with spare O rings and delivery is probably middle of next week depending on where you are.

Price wise, well embarrassingly I am not sure as my wife deals with that side of things and she is fast asleep, at a guess I would say around GBP27.98 for the short and GBP33.95 for the long including delivery to the UK . I will ask her in the morning.

All of my guides are UK designed and built (By me) and guaranteed for life.

Shout if you need more information.

David

I was wrong, the short series is GBP27.95 and the long series with port is GBP30.95, both are fitted with O rings, come with spares and include delivery. The long one looks very similar to this but with a slightly narrower front section.

post-73277-0-83275800-1339826336_thumb.jpg

• Like 1