Bags instead of boxes?

Aye bags are bad news anything happens no your fault your ferrets dead ,you trip over a fence land on your ferret its a goner and a ferret box let you sit on something dry :laugh:

• Like 1

used bags for years never had a accident use pillow cases no and again because cant get the old bank bags boxes a handy and better for the ferrets but for a bike bag in a rucksack would do thats what i would be useing atb

Even from being a mini ferreter, up until my late teens, my old feller used pillowcases for bagging the ferrets.

20 yrs ago that changed.

A cold wet day on the hills saw 2 ferrets bagged in a rucksack, one hob in a drawstring bag with eyelets (mine) and a great jill in a pillowcase (my old mans.)

Everything had got wet, there was no getting away fom the rain, even got into the rucksack.

I whinged and moaned a few times to the old feller that the ferrets were wet, and wasnt happy about how they were housed at the time.

The next time we got them out the jill was dead in the pillowcase, she had suffocated.

The wet fabric had restricted the air from flowing through it.

As a young lad i was raging, especially as i had been harking on about it. Elders always know better. :huh:

She was buried up there, i always look at the spot every year whilst up there, 20 yrs later. poor bugger.

From that day on ferrets were always boxed, for the job they do its a small price to pay for their comfort and health carrying a box around.

• Like 2

never tried the bag for ferreting , had a sack with straw in it but preferd a box , loclay there were a jioners shop as kids he made us them fech puting animals in bags , if you have to poach a rabbit its a bad day , vermin to farmers , in places, forget all about the bags and devixe abox in aruck sack or something simliar

There was a thread on here last year, someone had made a ruck box. It was just a 3 compartment box, up-ended, with straps on, with the base against your back, with the doors facing out. Very basic design, with loads of room for improvment, but the idea was there...

As said it's warmer in the winter now a nice box will provide shade and plenty ventilation holes will keep it cool ,a bag will just heat up . stand a chance of getting stood on etc