Best falcon for corvids of the fist ??

furgle

Interesting stuff. I

Think when I retire I may have mmore time for a hawk..

that was my original plan mate, however the hunting ban forced a rethink and am pleased I took the plunge, anyhow Im fooked at 40 never mind waiting till am 65 or whatever age they decide to let me enjoy my life lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mate had a spar last year which took dozens of magpies and a few crows, a very up close way to hawk them! Sadly she died when he started feeding her up to moult.   This is what inspired me to get

i think you wouldnt go wrong with a female pere saker these seem to be born to kill corvid, everone ive had has entred easy and they are big enough to handle them.  

you'd be surprised what falcons can and will take mate your best off getting a couple of good books on falconry and reading them, they will give you insight to what to do and also the level of commi

I have a long way to go at 31..

I really think at the moment I would struggle. A fella at work retired and has got a Harris Hawk.

So now I can get a better understanding of birds.

The change in law also made me think, but you dont have to feed a net :laugh: :laugh:

I Guess I am in similar boat to yourself fella,trying to keep within the law.

Also I enjoy the frill of the chase much more than a kill. I emagine it would really exciting watching a bird putting pressure on its quarry.

Any more pictures vids of falcon hawks with prey ??

its definately not against trhe law, I know I got nicked local and even the muppet plod round here had to conceed I was legit and even got an apology took em time to find out even though I gave em a copy of the hunting act, you can fly birds on quarry alone or flush the quarry with two dogs maximum, hunts do it with golden eagles or so i, told, they left the loophole Im just using it to my advantage, and the hare deserves more respect than simply being shot imho.

Giro them Harris Hawks are awesome mate, if they properly fit they can and will do ol long ears, I hear tell the bird that has taken the most hares in the country is a female harris from down south, they also easier to train and keep than most other hawks falcons etc, the sort of bird that can be used as and when you need it, a lot of lads fly em weeknds only but obviously they wont perform as well as they would flown daily.

It can be a right slog keeping bird and dogs at times and I also work long hours, but me family helps me out though, but its also been very rewarding as well, the kill becomes less improtant for me with age, watching the bird and dog chase and miss one is better for me than stopping 3/3 with dog alone, its hard graft for the falcon but he always puts in a good effort and tries his arse off, he substained a fair bit of feather damage in the process as well, but if ya dont try ya never know lol

I have only just managed to get a lass that will walk my dogs lol..

Definietly something for the future..

I recon on a day when there was not make about for the dogs a BOP would pull something out of the bag..

Was that a golden eagle that took the roe ?? Done that better than some lurchers,not a fence bounce in sight :whistling:

Anyone recommend any books for beginer ??

its definately not against trhe law, I know I got nicked local and even the muppet plod round here had to conceed I was legit and even got an apology took em time to find out even though I gave em a copy of the hunting act, you can fly birds on quarry alone or flush the quarry with two dogs maximum, hunts do it with golden eagles or so i, told, they left the loophole Im just using it to my advantage, and the hare deserves more respect than simply being shot imho.

Giro them Harris Hawks are awesome mate, if they properly fit they can and will do ol long ears, I hear tell the bird that has taken the most hares in the country is a female harris from down south, they also easier to train and keep than most other hawks falcons etc, the sort of bird that can be used as and when you need it, a lot of lads fly em weeknds only but obviously they wont perform as well as they would flown daily.

It can be a right slog keeping bird and dogs at times and I also work long hours, but me family helps me out though, but its also been very rewarding as well, the kill becomes less improtant for me with age, watching the bird and dog chase and miss one is better for me than stopping 3/3 with dog alone, its hard graft for the falcon but he always puts in a good effort and tries his arse off, he substained a fair bit of feather damage in the process as well, but if ya dont try ya never know lol

I stand corrected then feller was told by a bloke who flys his eagles around here.

How do you get the dogs to work together mate ? I imagine it would take alot of respect from both sides.

ATB

• 1 month later...

I just gt a male saker going to try him on crows see how he gets on

I just gt a male saker going to try him on crows see how he gets on

not the best birds i find for crow hawking

Do you mind me asking why you think sakers mite not be the best on crows have u tried one before? I've not tried one before on crows so new experience for me so any tips could be helpfully