Best falcon for corvids of the fist ??

furgle

Well im not going to jump into anything and im still very much enjoying flying the harris hawks but next year I would love to have something capable of taking these pesky critters ( Crow magpie & rook ) mainly off the fist a few fellow falconers I know have said go the gos route but me being me still want to fly a falcon :thumbs:

Any ideas of whats best to take them I know theres so many hybreds now a days and im not too sure on what to start off with as it will also be my first falcon :hmm:

Also what weights should i be looking at??

I think I will go for a male whatever cross or purebred I get :thumbs:

any help appreciated ive got mentors to help me with things im just looking for the BEST corvid falcon in your eyes :thumbs:

Atb

Ross

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mate had a spar last year which took dozens of magpies and a few crows, a very up close way to hawk them! Sadly she died when he started feeding her up to moult.   This is what inspired me to get

i think you wouldnt go wrong with a female pere saker these seem to be born to kill corvid, everone ive had has entred easy and they are big enough to handle them.  

you'd be surprised what falcons can and will take mate your best off getting a couple of good books on falconry and reading them, they will give you insight to what to do and also the level of commi

I was really thinking about staying with the hawks but I have a major soft spot for falcons lol

So did i. But spent more time with the telemetry looking for it than I did watching it in action. Falcons are the flight birds were hawks will give you sport all day. I got my falcon to clear the corvids on my permission, as soon as the car pulled up they were gone, once they new the falcon comes out of it. Like i said, i just prefer hawks. You may like the falcons more. Good luck

I was really thinking about staying with the hawks but I have a major soft spot for falcons lol

So did i. But spent more time with the telemetry looking for it than I did watching it in action. Falcons are the flight birds were hawks will give you sport all day. I got my falcon to clear the corvids on my permission, as soon as the car pulled up they were gone, once they new the falcon comes out of it. Like i said, i just prefer hawks. You may like the falcons more. Good luck

Thanks for your input though mate :thumbs:

and yeah these corvids are clever especially with a car lol

Be nice if you could lend one for a season

Be nice if you could lend one for a season

Haha yeah wouldnt that be nice :thumbs: need to find some better mates ones the have pereXsakers for loan hahahahaha :lol:

Most medium to large size falcons will take corvids if they are conditioned to do so. knew a guy who had a Lugger Falcon many years ago that was a cracking Crow hawk. conditioning and entering makes all the difference, as do good engineered slips and good countryside.

OK I know Tiercels are not a popular choice to take them but some gamey little fellas will. I had a female Pere/ Prairie flying at 1lb 10 that also took them well, think Nick Fox's Newzealand X falcon "Spitfire" took them at around a 1lb in weight smaller than most Tiercel Peregrines :thumbs:.

a mate of mine "Andy Reeve" also had a noted Spar a good few years ago that would take crows/rooks regular featured in some old BFC mags! it obviously made sense to get in quick to help her out but it just proves in the right hands its all possible........

A mate had a spar last year which took dozens of magpies and a few crows, a very up close way to hawk them!

Sadly she died when he started feeding her up to moult.

This is what inspired me to get an imprint spar for this season ( my first accipiter ) which I intend to use on magpies mainly.

• Like 1

If you are going to fly a falcon, you will need quite open countryside.

Too much cover and the crows just dive in and hide.

My own preference would be a female pere/saker. Males can be good at catching and dealing

with them, but with being smaller, they can also get a bit of a rough time from them.

Just my thoughts.

David

in the past ive used both a peregrine and a perri/saker (one of nick fox`s) as jasper said if conditioned and entered correctly most will take to it.

in the past ive used both a peregrine and a perri/saker (one of nick fox`s) as jasper said if conditioned and entered correctly most will take to it.

Really that's what I was hoping I wanted something with pere in most probably perexsaker or perexgyr :)

Its not nothing im going to rush into and im getting hands on experience with falcons volunteering at my local bird of prey center so until I feel fully confidant in getting one going PROPERLY I wont bother :thumbs:

Thanks again lads

i think you wouldnt go wrong with a female pere saker these seem to be born to kill corvid, everone ive had has entred easy and they are big enough to handle them.

iris21.jpg

iris21.jpg

Yeah mate the females look more than able to take them I read your post about this female in the picture and shes one hell of a bird mate cracking job you have done with her

Im thinking of going perexsaker or gyrxpere not certain yet though lol