First rifle set up, thinking CZ's.

Hi guys new to this forum, hopefully this is in the correct section for this type of question.

Basically i've applied for my FAC, had interview etc and according to the officer he couldn't see any problems with me getting my FAC, hopefully wont be long till i'll be purchasing my first rifle/s.

I've applied for both .22 and hmr both moderated, my local gun dealer sell among other rifles CZ's which after researching online seem to be a popular rifle. I'm thinking along the lines of 452 style or silhouette or 455 thumbhole any thoughts on any of the said guns in either .22 or hmr? Also any thoughts on scopes and rings or will it depend on which rifle i end up buying? what sort of money should i expect to pay for a scope, i'm not wanting anything top of the range in terms of price but equally happy to pay a little extra to get something that will last longer! The set up will be used out in the fields for rabbits.

Edited by reeking rabbits

Either rifle in either calibre will be a fantastic tool

I can`t see past CZ`z especially the rimfires. The 455 is lovely, I`m after one myself and will be selling my 452 synth. It`s an amazing gun thats accounted for untold quarry.

Take yer pick mate, they are both brilliant.

• Like 1

Got a cz452 silhouette complete with silencer and nikko stirling euro hunter 3x12x56 illuminated absolutely brilliant setup would prob say you couldnt beat it to be honest mate buyi.g that you wont go wrong i use winchester subs ammo and believe me all you hear is when you hit the bunnies lol good luck in getting your fac

The 455 is lovely, I`m after one myself and will be selling my 452 synth.

Thanks for the reply rake aboot, any reason for changing over to the 455? My brother had an air arms s410 which he fitted a thumbhole stock to, quite liked using it that's why I'm thinking 455... Althought I do like the black synthetic stocks on the 452's, he's got both instock I think so I should be able to try out both models before deciding. Out off intreast what sort of scope do you have on you 452?

I have both .22 LR CZ 452 RIFLE Silh. & .17HMR CZ 452 American both in synth.

Cant beat them to be honest, and the cost of both rifles new was very good, £300 for the .22 a month ago and £345 year ago for .17HMR.

as said Nikko great scope for money.

I use my Pulsar N550 NV digi sight on both rifles, they both have a use on my permissions.

I must admit I like the .17 HMR more, and have a condition on my license for fox only to be taken with .17HMR.

Great rifles in my eyes and cheap. (Unlike the .17 HMR rounds £11.00 x 50 & £4.50 for 50 .22 rounds).

Lee

The 455 is lovely, it feels fantastic when picked up, the stock is one of the nicest on a rimmy I`ve come across. It has a varmint barrel, but in 22 it`s not to heavy, mucho heavier in 17 though. but I imagine that would drive tacks at funny distances.

I use a Hawke sr30 tactical on the rimmy. overkill, but I had one so it went on.

czs are good mate for the price as for scopes get something that has a decent magnification on the hmr the more you spend the better the picture is. this makes a lot of difference if lamping or shooting at dusk i have a schmidt and bender on me big rifles and they are awesome but very expensive army snipers use them so that shows the quality. loads of good manufacturers out there i also have a meopta which again aint that cheap but its good. as for the rimmy stick something on it that wont set you back to much bigger tube means more light have a look ata few at the game fairs loads to be had ebay also throws a few up every now and again.

Thanks for all the comment,

I'm aiming to spend around £500 overall for the two scopes, Think thats a fair budget?

Was looking at the nikon Pro staff 3-9x50 at around £200 here's a link http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/109431/nikon-pro-staff-3-9x50-rifle-scope/

I've seen that leupold range seems to be quite popular, looking at the 3-9x40 at £220 here's a link http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/102788/leupold-vx-i-3-9x40-rifle-scope/

Any thoughts on the above?

Any other makes/models i should look at? Would maybe stretch the scope budget a little to buy something better/more suitable but probably couldn't manage much more.

As i said before will be used for rabbits, also i'm not really a fan of Illuminated scopes.

I would recomend having a look at the Redfield range, its made by Leupold in the same factory as their scopes and you get the same amazing warranty. The warranty is worth having, trust me I had an issue with a Leupold scope sent it back to them and they fixed it and sent it back free of charge.

I have a 3-9x50 Redfield on my Weihrauch .22 and its a cracker.

As for rings and mounts on a rimmy you wont go far wrong with Sportsmatch rings.

ATB

Jonno

Have the Leupold VX1 3-9x50 on my BRNO .22 and the Leupold VX11 3-9x50 on my CZ .17 HMR, great rifles and scopes, I think you will get both scopes like these second hand easy for under £500.

Best of luck with your choice lets know how you get on.

ATB

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, was not sure what to purchase..... Eventualy i went for a HW60J, amazing rifle.... each to your own i suppose.

i do like the bolt action, and the build quality is what you would expect from Germany.. shoots like a german made bit of kit should do.

My only advise would be try if you can before you buy, and i do think buy cheap = buy twice...

Having said all that, as long as your happy with your purchase who care's !!!

Happy bunny thumping... :thumbs:

Edited by jmj121
  • Like 1

CZ are ok, but IMHO basic. Couldn't live with one myself (and yes I did try, twice!!)

Have a look on guntrader how many secondhand rimmies are up for sale and do the same for Weihrauch ;)

Tin helmet now donned, and retreating to a safe distance :laugh::thumbs:

Thanks for the comments guys, ended up getting a pair of CZ 452 styles, Lower one has the 16'' barrel in .22 with sak mod and bushnell 3-9x40 and the one above is the 22'' barrel in .17HMR with A-tec mod, harris bipod and nikko sterling nighteater 4-16x50

IMG_1249.jpg

Had the .22 out, i've found it to be a really nice accurate rifle, cant wait to zero in the HMR this weekend!

RR.

• Like 1