washing and lubeing pellets?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't see why washing and lubing pellets is not worth doing, apart from those that say it doesn't make any difference or its a waists of time.   I wouldn't say its a ritual either when people do

Thinking about it, this weekend it will be a good test of the pellet weight theory as we are not setting the course up to standard HFT rules (unless Davy has changed his mind) so we will be shooting f

Roughly the same for nappy's eh Buster.

Hi Skot,

I do a lot of competition shooting and mainly shoot straight from the tin. Dont get me wrong many wash, lube, weigh size etc, but I am more than happy with my groupings at full distance. I shoot 30 pellets in a comp and just give them a damned good looking at! Check for skirt and head damage. If im not happy it gets binned. Im pretty sure if I miss its down to me and not my equipment (unfortunately no excuses to fall back on!).

Kindest Regards,

Mikey.

• Like 1
Im pretty sure if I miss its down to me and not my equipment (unfortunately no excuses to fall back on!).

Kindest Regards,

Mikey.

And AMEN to that :yes::notworthy:

If I miss, thats my reason and not an excuse :yes:

My baby will outshoot me even if I live to be a thousand years old!

Tony

• Like 1

Weighing, washing and lubing pellets is best done when you are shooting at distant targets.

A pellet that is lighter or heavier by only a bit at close range (10 to 25 metres) is hardly noticed unless you mess up yourself, but you fire the same pellet at 30 to 55 metres and see the difference.

A pellet that travels faster than normal by say 10 to 12 fps at range will impact higher than you expect it to and a pellet travelling slower by the same will impact lower than you expect it to.

You now aim at a small kill zone and watch what happens.

You shoot a rat or a rabbit at 25 metres and you will see no difference.

What you have to do is think to yourself why do all world champion HFT and FT shooters weigh, wash and lube their pellets?

Si.

Hi Si,

When I brought my current batch of JSB's I weighed a tin of pellets and they ranged from 8.2gn to 8.6gn. I shot a ten shot group of five of the lighter and five of the heavier. It was at 45yds, I cant remember the group size but it wasnt noticeably distinguishable from the others! Maybe if it was increased to 55yds it would probably open up. As I shoot HFT, 45yds is the max I shoot out to. Each to their own I guess!!

Mikey.

Totally agree with You on that one Si,

about the Top FT and HFT Lads washing and lubeing sorting and weighing their pellets :yes:

But Me being a mere Mortal i shoot HFT once a year at the THL Meet, I hardly touch

paper targets and just tend to shoot at a club to zero now and again, As i tend to do a quick check on

at the Permission. Also i shoot with only My Rapid and 2 types of pellets the Li's and Biz mags as

at Present one Air Rifle and the Benelli M2 Semi Auto 12g Shotgun is all i need.

atvb Daz 7.

Edited by Daz 7

What you have to do is think to yourself why do all world champion HFT and FT shooters weigh, wash and lube their pellets?

Si.

Cuz they got more time on their hands and they is all target tarts :haha:

Looking forward to seeing you soon buddy :notworthy:

Tony

Hi Si,

When I brought my current batch of JSB's I weighed a tin of pellets and they ranged from 8.2gn to 8.6gn. I shot a ten shot group of five of the lighter and five of the heavier. It was at 45yds, I cant remember the group size but it wasnt noticeably distinguishable from the others! Maybe if it was increased to 55yds it would probably open up. As I shoot HFT, 45yds is the max I shoot out to. Each to their own I guess!!

Mikey.

True mate each to their own.

Si.

Cuz they got more time on their hands and they is all target tarts :haha:

Looking forward to seeing you soon buddy :notworthy:

Tony

Ha ha :laugh: :laugh: :tongue2: See at the Meet Tony bud :thumbs::drinks::cheers::bye:

atvb Daz 7.

Thinking about it, this weekend it will be a good test of the pellet weight theory as we are not setting the course up to standard HFT rules (unless Davy has changed his mind) so we will be shooting further than normal and at smaller kill zone that what you are allowed in proper HFT.

What we can do is shoot at a 10 or 15 mm kill zone at 45 to 70 yards and see what a difference the weight difference makes in POI.

Will make for interesting channel footage.

Si.

• Like 2

45 to 70 yards :notworthy: I best keep the balance between alcoholand fresh ground coffee then cus an inbalance of either will chuck my aim out!

Were you serious Si when you said Zero at 70 yards? cuz I'm up for it :yes: :yes: :yes:

Tony

Hi Tony, yes very serious pal.

It's just something different pal for people to push themselfs to.

The Si Pittaway challenge is at 75 metres anyway and that's one of the comps.

It's just a bit of fun.

Si.

• Like 1

Are you both serious when you say shoot a target at 75 mtrs!!!!!!!!!! I have enough trouble walking 75 mtrs. I can see its going to be a dual to the death between you two. :toast:

ATVB see you on Friday (send me post code please)

Roger

hi

if you are going to wash and lube your pellets,please!please! chrono your air rifle afterwards,you may have a fright?

it can put at least to 1ft/lbs on what your putting out. so be careful :thumbs:

Regards

Davy