GPS / Tracking collars.

its not in any great detail very basic but does the job im near sure you can buy up grades for it but to tell you the truth you dont look at the map that offten your more dependent on the compass system as thats the one that tells you the direction and distance to head in

robert

Thanks for the info mate, would you say there is much advantage in the newer model, other than the marking down point thing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know the aussies and kiwis use them on their pig dogs,as they can end up miles away, but I can't see much use for them on running dogs here in the UK.   Cheers.

Simo - that would be good mate, cheers!   Chart - Sorry, wasn't meant to be so cryptic. An example of their use would be, before the ban, running large quarry such as deer, with a dog in the daytime

red dawn, it was called loc8tor pet, it was no good for ferreting the thing didn't work underground lol i will dig it out put post up mate

Get a horn there cheaper and if it cant back track to ye it wants pokeing in the eye anyway :laugh:

It wasn't about hounds mate, and not really about situations in which you can blow a horn, or really much use it it back tracks to you. If that makes any sense? It was initially stuck in the lurcher section.

Get a horn there cheaper and if it cant back track to ye it wants pokeing in the eye anyway :laugh:

It wasn't about hounds mate, and not really about situations in which you can blow a horn, or really much use it it back tracks to you. If that makes any sense? It was initially stuck in the lurcher section.

Ah right i wouldnt really like my lurcher's going on that far that i would need a tracking collar they do go on abit sometimes with the hounds but usualy come looking for me after 10 min's if they have missed :thumbs:

Ah right i wouldnt really like my lurcher's going on that far that i would need a tracking collar they do go on abit sometimes with the hounds but usualy come looking for me after 10 min's if they have missed :thumbs:

I think its when they have gone on a bit but not missed that hes concerned about :thumbs:

I think its when they have gone on a bit but not missed that hes concerned about :thumbs:

i dont usualy have that problem the hound's make enough racket and are easy to find :laugh:

Yer, I meant more like, before the ban, daytime, when a dog does one into large forestry type blocks, after something, and catches it, but its too large to retrieve, and no one has a fecking clue where it is. Might be handy in such situations to have a magic box? Just wondered if anyone had used one in the past and if so what.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

out of curiosity does anyone know if such gps locators would work below ground?

it does work below ground as seen many a hound go to ground and this the only way they have been located

robert

hi robert

I think the 200 series r ok for working underground (as in hound marking but like body lenght in, but 200 ain't gps,) the 300 series garmin doesn't it loses it's gps also in thick woodland it loses it's gps, and when yr dog/hound is in 1 place long enough it says tree'd. this is what i've heard from lads who use them in u.k

ATB

Wheaten

Edited by wheaten

out of curiosity does anyone know if such gps locators would work below ground?

it does work below ground as seen many a hound go to ground and this the only way they have been located

robert

hi robert

I think the 200 series r ok for working underground (as in hound marking but like body lenght in, but 200 ain't gps,) the 300 series garmin doesn't it loses it's gps also in thick woodland it loses it's gps, and when yr dog/hound is in 1 place long enough it says tree'd. this is what i've heard from lads who use them in u.k

ATB

Wheaten

hi mate the 220 astro does work under ground to a depth of 5 foot all lest as we dug a hound out last season it does have a down side as you say if your hound is not moveing for a bit it will say tree but loseing gps i have not came across it so far with the 220 im gonna buy the 320 before the start of the season for are own hounds just hope it not a let down as the 220 you can buy for next to nothing now

robert