keeping dogs fit/lures

Watch galloping in summer on hard ground.You could do more harm.Is the dog over 15months? If not is growth plates arnt set and again more harm can be done.Steady walking or genral exercise will firm ligaments etc if its regular. You dont want to over train a dog in summer for it to be stale by autumn. Stallion gates in sheffield make good lure machines.

• Like 2

he's just coming up for 3. just had him what i'd say was the fittest he's been this winter even though he was injuryed first part. what would you expect an average lurcher to run when in full fittness. just this is my second lurcher and not the most clued up about it all, got a couple of books that i've read but don't tell you everything.

Edited by ghamilton14

he's just coming up for 3. just had him what i'd say was the fittest he's been this winter even though he was injuryed first part. what would you expect an average lurcher to run when in full fittness. just this is my second lurcher and not the most clued up about it all, got a couple of books that i've read but don't tell you everything.

Hes mature enough then,but hard ground can do a lot of harm to a dog.I would try and find a bone man in your area and have him checked now and then.It dont usually cost much,but a lot of injuries in dogs dont show but can effect performance.Every dog is diffrent.All you can do is keep him fit.Dont over work him and check for injury now and then.When you say full fitness,if you are talking about a peak of fitness. That will only last a short time before the dog needs resting.You wouldnt want the dog too fit in summer would you?

i'll try have a look and find someone give him a once over. when he was fit he was running 3 nights a week from when the i ifnished my pheasants and his injury was better.i'd suppose you woludn't want him fit over summer just get him stretching his legs. he's quite a canny dog so doesn't runn wild with labs or terriers also not very keen on swimming.will try chucking a tennis ball or a dummy see what he does.

i'll try have a look and find someone give him a once over. when he was fit he was running 3 nights a week from when the i ifnished my pheasants and his injury was better.i'd suppose you woludn't want him fit over summer just get him stretching his legs. he's quite a canny dog so doesn't runn wild with labs or terriers also not very keen on swimming.will try chucking a tennis ball or a dummy see what he does.

I know its difficult with mature dogs.They dont really want to play or gallop,and a lot wont chase balls and things. A gallop with you whistling him whilst someone holds him is useful, on some grass or field margain.I do this or like you have already done a steady canter behind the vehicle for 3,4 0r 500yds or let him run round in woodland.The smells usually get them going,but they can get into trouble or taken off by roe scent etc. I use a greyhound walker aswell,especially before the season to tighten toes and things up.It also encourages steady breathing.Start with 10mins once hes used to it and build up to half an hour uphill.Its also useful after injury to bring a dog steadily back.

what does a greyhound walker do? wasn't to keen letting him run about woods for the fact we have a lot of roe up here. will try running him up hill roads on the lead just now(cant let him run, grouse chicks on go) see how that goes. cheers for the advice. you have any lurchers? what kind?

oh right got told of a box you could put your dogs in and it keeps the muscles working via a current sent through it.awas good for toning and healing injury's. had different settings on it. was from a boy that was big into his coursing comps. when legal. kept them relaxed without getting stiff for the next run. anyone heard of this maybe not best discription right enough.