fenn traps only half catching

on the subject of fenns jumping, i dont believe they were ever intended to do it as a design feature but rather a consiquence of the spring design, the tunnel i believe was added as an aid to protect against non target species later on, when things had to be seen to be more humane, the same with lockable and chained rat bait stations and the like.

This is simply not true - I can safely say that the Fenn trap WAS designed to jump, it was the not first trap made in UK to do so either. The tunnel was part of the planned design back in the late 1940's.

OTC

Edited by OldTrapCollector

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes they will ive caught rats in mk4`s placed on bare concrete inside the door of a building where the rats were climbing in through a gap in the door.

Did that with one of the lengths of garden cane I use to limit the entrance. Trap broke it and dont have any more canes. Still got nine more fingers to go!

Posted Images

on the subject of fenns jumping, i dont believe they were ever intended to do it as a design feature but rather a consiquence of the spring design, the tunnel i believe was added as an aid to protect against non target species later on, when things had to be seen to be more humane, the same with lockable and chained rat bait stations and the like.

This is simply not true - I can safely say that the Fenn trap WAS designed to jump, it was the not first trap made in UK to do so either. The tunnel was part of the planned design back in the late 1940's.

OTC

i thought fenn traps were designed in the 1950`s after legghold traps were banned under the (pests act) 1954. the bit i dont understand if it was designed to jump, why then the need to restrict that jump by the height of the tunnel surely this would you lead you to believe that the height of the tunnel would have to be higher than the trap jumps :hmm:

over the years i have caught a lot of rabbits in Fenn 6s i find them OK for adult rabbits in tight burrows ,for me the problems start with young [small] rabbits on the railway embankments,if the trap has to much play or is not alligned at the same angle as the roof of the tunnel you will have a leg catch,the trap can allmost throw off the small rabbit but still catch it by the upper part of the leg [ and we all know what that means ] if the trap is set at a bad angle, in some instances this can lead to a head catch which is not to good either, a fenn in a cubby usally works how its intended ,too a fenn with to much space around it ,often does not .

over the years i have caught a lot of rabbits in Fenn 6s i find them OK for adult rabbits in tight burrows ,for me the problems start with young [small] rabbits on the railway embankments,if the trap has to much play or is not alligned at the same angle as the roof of the tunnel you will have a leg catch,the trap can allmost throw off the small rabbit but still catch it by the upper part of the leg [ and we all know what that means ] if the trap is set at a bad angle, in some instances this can lead to a head catch which is not to good either, a fenn in a cubby usally works how its intended ,too a fenn with to much space around it ,often does not .

again as ive said in the post above if they where designed to jump why then the need to restrict the movement :hmm:

i thought fenn traps were designed in the 1950`s after legghold traps were banned under the (pests act) 1954. the bit i dont understand if it was designed to jump, why then the need to restrict that jump by the height of the tunnel surely this would you lead you to believe that the height of the tunnel would have to be higher than the trap jumps :hmm:

The original 'Humane Spring Traps' were designed prior to the 1954 Act being considered, they could not ban the gin until a suitable replacement had been thoroughly tested, hence the Act was drawn up in 1954 but the gin was not actually banned until July 1958 to give trappers chance to purchase new traps. The traps that were finally approved were invented long before then!!

The tunnel IS PART OF the trap - to work successfully it must meet with an upper surface which ensure that the captive is held humanely where intended, and not allow it to jump into free space, often at a contorted angle which allows for poor captures or no capture at all. Unlike the recent DOC trap which bizarrely insists that you must use a specially made wooden tunnel manufactured by the retailer of the DOC trap, the legislation in the 1950's credited the trapper with being able to fabricate a suitable tunnel himself.

OTC

The original 'Humane Spring Traps' were designed prior to the 1954 Act being considered, they could not ban the gin until a suitable replacement had been thoroughly tested, hence the Act was drawn up in 1954 but the gin was not actually banned until July 1958 to give trappers chance to purchase new traps. The traps that were finally approved were invented long before then!!

The tunnel IS PART OF the trap - to work successfully it must meet with an upper surface which ensure that the captive is held humanely where intended, and not allow it to jump into free space, often at a contorted angle which allows for poor captures or no capture at all. Unlike the recent DOC trap which bizarrely insists that you must use a specially made wooden tunnel manufactured by the retailer of the DOC trap, the legislation in the 1950's credited the trapper with being able to fabricate a suitable tunnel himself.

OTC

the trap jumps because of the kinetic energy stored in the springs being released when the trap is sprung. if that trap then hits an obsticle some of that energy will be transfered to that object, so in theory the the strenght of the springs is to great for the trap. :hmm: i understand the need to control any twisting, however i dont understand the why design a trap that jumps, only then to restrict this feature. unless it was an after modification. it would be a little bit like designing a wheel and then fitting a square tyre to stop it rolling :laugh:

So you do not check your traps within each and every 24 hours? This is a legally mandated necessity

You're quite correct............ if using live catch traps. Fenns are a 'kill' trap, thus there is no legal requirement to check them at least once in every 24 hour period (though I personally do if possible, and always advise this practice, for ethical reasons and the fact that if a trap has a catch, it's redundant, and efficiency is reduced). It should be remembered that best practice guidelines, and legal requirement quite often differ. This is a law I'd like to see changed, making it a legal requirement for all traps.

:hmm: I think that you need to have a read of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Ac and its amendments if you think that it is not a legal requirement to check spring traps daily ...

OTC

So you do not check your traps within each and every 24 hours? This is a legally mandated necessity

You're quite correct............ if using live catch traps. Fenns are a 'kill' trap, thus there is no legal requirement to check them at least once in every 24 hour period (though I personally do if possible, and always advise this practice, for ethical reasons and the fact that if a trap has a catch, it's redundant, and efficiency is reduced). It should be remembered that best practice guidelines, and legal requirement quite often differ. This is a law I'd like to see changed, making it a legal requirement for all traps.

:hmm: I think that you need to have a read of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Ac and its amendments if you think that it is not a legal requirement to check spring traps daily ...

OTC

You're wrong again!

Regarding your advice on my reading the Wildlife & countryside act and it's subsequent amendments, I do so on an almost daily basis, and I happen to be very familiar with it. Enough to be classed as an expert by the many agencies and bodies who pay for my advice and guidance in it and its workings.

My interpretation of this particular point is good enough for all, including the statutary nature conservation agencies, but not good enough for the old trap collector!

I find it very odd that throughout your postings on this thread you've constantly quoted from other peoples writings and claims, I may be wrong but I don't recall you speaking about any personal experience.

No matter how many times I've pointed out your missunderstandings, you just don't seem able to comprehend certain facts. You certainly don't seem to have any malice, but are just a little naive in certain matters.

It is a requirement to set a fenn in a tunnel when trapping outside of buildings where there is a possibility of non target species.

You are allowed to use them inside a building without a tunnel if it is deemed secure to everything unless the deemed target.

Personally I find them best in a tunnel, but setting them in the open in a closed garage or shed isn't illegal.

Regarding your advice on my reading the Wildlife & countryside act and it's subsequent amendments, I do so on an almost daily basis, and I happen to be very familiar with it. Enough to be classed as an expert by the many agencies and bodies who pay for my advice and guidance in it and its workings. My interpretation of this particular point is good enough for all

OK perhaps I am wrong - would you mind telling me where in the Act it tells you that it is not necessary to check Spring Traps on a daily basis please? Could you please give me the quote that dictates that it is ok for someone to set and then fail to check a spring trap within 24 hours in the UK?

OTC

As modern trappers, it is our duty to minimise the suffering, of our chosen target species, be it a rat or a rabbit..

In my opinion,.the particular style of killing traps that we are talking about,.are best checked DAILY :yes:

I dont think Kenny is disputing that but since he sounds like he is well informed in what the legalities are then you'd be silly to doubt him. In fairness i would like to know 100% the legal and not the moral situation myself?... :thumbs:

As modern trappers, it is our duty to minimise the suffering, of our chosen target species, be it a rat or a rabbit..

In my opinion,.the particular style of killing traps that we are talking about,.are best checked DAILY :yes:

:thumbs:

I lagree with you, and as I stated in one of my earlier replies, I believe it should be made a legal requirement.

:thumbs:

I lagree with you, and as I stated in one of my earlier replies, I believe it should be made a legal requirement.

Fair play, goodonya... :thumbs: