Vitamin Supplements

JJ01

Hi JJ

There is no harm in feeding supplements in with your normal foods, it just guarantees that your bird is getting ALL the Vits & Minerals that she needs for a long and healthy life.

SA37 used to be the one I used but many on the market now, buy from falconry related site and you won't go wrong.

Dont over do it, once or twice over 7 days is plenty. ;)

Regards Alec

Alec surely there is a chance of causing more harm than good by feeding vitamins to a bird. In the wild there are no vitamins added to their feed so why would you want to add vitamins to a captive bred bird unless you are saying there is not enough nutrition in the foods being given to our birds. Although I did hear Neil Forbes saying that day old chicks with the yolk sack were a well balanced feed for birds. I feed these and throw in quail, rat, rabbit, pheasant and squirrel when I either catch or buy them from my supplier. Even tried guinea pig once but the birds were non too keen.

My concern with vitamins is that one they must be animal tested and that animal to make it a good comparison must be BOP SA37 I believe was actually dog and cat vitamins not specifically bird of prey.

Two some vitamins and minerals actually cause a decline in others in the body. Taking them could potentially cause an imbalance.

Vitamins for humans anyway are given at massive doses as the body does not absorb them as well as naturally occurring vitamins and minerals found in food

Used many different vitamins in the past from SA37 to A1 Raptor plus the Raptor Essentials stuff. the best bit is some of the vitamins I used in the past for Reptiles not associated with BOP was some of the best available and also alot cheaper, the funny thing is they also contained virtually the same ingredients.

I had a bird in the past that even though fed a good varied diet would lay soft shell eggs towards the nd of its clutch and second clutch, for some reason this bird needed a extra ordinary amount of calcium, it could have suffered with a inherited calcium defficiency I don't know but I do know that the only supplement that cured the problem was Nutrolbal which back then was a high calcium additive designed for reptiles.

Don't quote me on this but I think Philip Glasier mentioned in one of his books useing SA37 as a supplement? I should say back then there wasn't vitamins catered for the Bird Of Prey market such was the small pool of falconers and keepers, when I started which was a long while after Mr Glasier I certainly can't remember any general supplement designed for the BOP market.

Its a bit like Antibiotics, many of the antibitics we are prescribed have been tested on animals first anyway, we Humans obviously have much higher doses that would prove fatal to our birds but you only have to read the names on the labels to recognise they are also used in animal and birds care too.

most Raptor and carnivore vitamins are very simular if you match the needs of your birds with what it says on the label :thumbs:.

Used many different vitamins in the past from SA37 to A1 Raptor plus the Raptor Essentials stuff. the best bit is some of the vitamins I used in the past for Reptiles not associated with BOP was some of the best available and also alot cheaper, the funny thing is they also contained virtually the same ingredients.

I had a bird in the past that even though fed a good varied diet would lay soft shell eggs towards the nd of its clutch and second clutch, for some reason this bird needed a extra ordinary amount of calcium, it could have suffered with a inherited calcium defficiency I don't know but I do know that the only supplement that cured the problem was Nutrolbal which back then was a high calcium additive designed for reptiles.

Don't quote me on this but I think Philip Glasier mentioned in one of his books useing SA37 as a supplement? I should say back then there wasn't vitamins catered for the Bird Of Prey market such was the small pool of falconers and keepers, when I started which was a long while after Mr Glasier I certainly can't remember any general supplement designed for the BOP market.

Its a bit like Antibiotics, many of the antibitics we are prescribed have been tested on animals first anyway, we Humans obviously have much higher doses that would prove fatal to our birds but you only have to read the names on the labels to recognise they are also used in animal and birds care too.

most Raptor and carnivore vitamins are very simular if you match the needs of your birds with what it says on the label :thumbs:.

i think your correct it was mr Glasier mentioned sa37 and your correct that there was no other comercial suppliments for bop, there was also no day old chicks, no A.I, no books so to speak of, social imprinting hadn`t been thought off, infact imprinting was seen as afilure on the part of the falconer. breeding wise people were still using turkey hormone implants in the male birds :laugh: my god im getting old :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't give me the "I'm getting old" bit. You are a old Fossil dating back before the internal combustion engine :laugh:

The guy you knew in Lutterworth who bred Goshawks way back in the 70's certainly didn't have any supplement designed expecially for BOP.

a good diet was everything but crshed egg shells was used back then and even heard of cuttle fish ground to powder used to up the calcium content :thumbs:. Vitamins certainly aren't a replacenent for a good diet but boy can they help expecially if a particular bird or animal is lacking in somthing which may well be medicaly related.

Don't give me the "I'm getting old" bit. You are a old Fossil dating back before the internal combustion engine :laugh:

The guy you knew in Lutterworth who bred Goshawks way back in the 70's certainly didn't have any supplement designed expecially for BOP.

a good diet was everything but crshed egg shells was used back then and even heard of cuttle fish ground to powder used to up the calcium content :thumbs:. Vitamins certainly aren't a replacenent for a good diet but boy can they help expecially if a particular bird or animal is lacking in somthing which may well be medicaly related.

:laugh: i swear a hormone that was put under the skin to make male turkeys more fertile was put into a jack merlin you ask bob he will know who im on about :laugh: i was thinking in the car earlier, if you wanted anything you either made it yourself or someone you new made it for you. how times change :laugh:

What I was saying was it doesn't do them any harm in moderation, your just making sure they get ALL vits & minerals that may not be in your chosen raptor food, I have been using vits for donkies years and all my birds have been problem free and very healthy.

Dont forget the one thats very important, vitamin D from the sun

For years they were saying about DOCS, remove egg sack as not good now they saying it does good occasionally fed whole.

Feed raptor specific vits but dont over do it .... 2-3 times in 7 days plenty, too too too much and you could poison your bird ... :cray:

Alec