RTH Kite Training

JJ01

So iv been thinking about my first bird now :hmm:and im really starting to like the Red Tail Hawk which would probably be best! But i want to know can you kite train them? Iv read other forums and people say yes but others say no. what's your opinion? And if yes do you go the same way about it as you do falcons ?

Cheers JJ

So iv been thinking about my first bird now :hmm:and im really starting to like the Red Tail Hawk which would probably be best! But i want to know can you kite train them? Iv read other forums and people say yes but others say no. what's your opinion? And if yes do you go the same way about it as you do falcons ?

Cheers JJ

why would you bother redtails main quarry is ground game and pheasent, all of which dont need much height to take, if its for fitness then a lure would do the same :thumbs:

Being a broad wing, they are capable of soaring, if that's what you want to do, then you do it. There is however no need, but also no harm in doing it. Off the fist, a red tail will have a very successful season, i cant really comment in regards to soaring, but i would think you will catch quarry from flights you would not normally, but you may lose out on a lot, i.e. rabbits sat by warrens will see the bird and go in the warren. Its entirely up to you, benefits to both methods so its your decision, i have fancied trying similar with a Harris, but instead of kite training flying from the top of a hill, and flushing quarry when its soaring, therefore rewarding soaring...

Being a broad wing, they are capable of soaring, if that's what you want to do, then you do it. There is however no need, but also no harm in doing it. Off the fist, a red tail will have a very successful season, i cant really comment in regards to soaring, but i would think you will catch quarry from flights you would not normally, but you may lose out on a lot, i.e. rabbits sat by warrens will see the bird and go in the warren. Its entirely up to you, benefits to both methods so its your decision, i have fancied trying similar with a Harris, but instead of kite training flying from the top of a hill, and flushing quarry when its soaring, therefore rewarding soaring...

works well in old quarrys :thumbs:

Yh I think i will do it! :boogy: its just an amazing thing to watch them stoop down but i can think of many situations on the different land i hunt where waiting on can be devastating and i can flush rabbits out into the open fields as well as hunting off the glove !! The only decision now do i go male or female hmmmm?????

CHEERS JJ :D

I have a young redtail chick if your interested. I will be DNA sexing it soon. Would want a chat before hand, no disrespect, but has to go to good home. Experienced person or has support from experienced falconer.

The female hunts at 3lb and lamps, the male hunts at 2lb 6oz only hunted him in the day.

Pm me if your interested.

Cheers JJ

You could kite train a redtail if you wanted to, but in reality you don't really need to as it will soar naturally especially if there is a nice breeze to give it lift. My old female would soar high above me just like the wild common buzzards we have here. If she lost a squirrel high up in a tree, she would quite often take to the air, soaring above waiting for me to move it

I would say though that once high in the air, they can spot game a long way off and go for it, leaving you trying to track them down.

I would not hunt them from the soar all the time, but mix it up with some flying off the fist as well as following on flights.

If you have lots of game lying up in cover, your redtail will stick around you waiting for you to flush it. Its an awesome sight watching them fold up into a ''teardrop'' plunging down to the earth after quarry.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Dave