MINSHAW .....

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

Looking at old Rip he had plenty Curr dog in him. I think both Rip and Nipper had fairly dominant genes.

I would think there are very few Curr dogs left in Cumbria now and to tell the truth I am only guessing and picking from what I can remember talking to Victor (or simply Minshaw) as he was known.

Victors full name is "Victor Sproat Minshaw" quite a mouthful.

is it true toblue that nipper was bred by BORDERLAD and thats were minshaw got him from

I am not sure if this is another post that may be over my head :huh: But in answer to your question I do not know who BORDERLAND is or who anyone else is on this forum. To the best of my knowledge Victor bred Nipper, at least I know he owned the sire Old Rip.

Minshaw had a dog , 21-22" rough fawn called rusty , daytime dog more than a lamper and it had ' freak ' stamina and carried Kerry blue blood. rusty x collie/greyhound produced the invincible blue, over 80lb running weight. .. that's how the family ,or strain started. they favour collie /greyhounds but with more 'fire ' vary tough ,hardy dog's bred for ' wholesale ' lamping . know for their 'freak ' stamina .. you can pick a minshaw out at any show and their are plenty who still keep them with 5-6-7 lines to minshaws blue .

vic had an advert in the old shooting new's challenging any dog in the country to a night's lamping but no one took him up on the offer .. rumor as it that the only offer made was a dog called saxon which vic wouldn't race as it was out of blue .

the photo album of the original minshaws would stun most modern lad's ... they are the real deal ,kept by the' wild men' of Cumbria, i saw two at appleby last year , smaller than the old stock but nice ,well made dog's never the less.

what get's me with minshaw's is they are known for ' wholesale' lamping but are without doubt the slowest lurcher's ever bred !

the lad at appleby said too many people crossed them to bull crosses theseday's and this had changed the familiy. The old un-written law was out-cross a minshaw but put the pup's back to a minshaw ,too many of those crossing them to bull crosses are not putting them back to minshaws.

as i remember it rusty was kerry blue/greyhound x collie/greyhound , he then mated a collie/greyhound and produced blue .. the invincible . great strain kept by real character's who only kept them for work, also known as ' moody minshaw's , they wouldn't suit a lot of you ..too slow for many but top knotch strain , best for lamp work.

Lol,Blue wasn't out of Rusty x a Collie/Grey ..Like toblue said Blue was out of Nipper who was out of Rip & a bitch owned by Hento Logan and he out of Vic's father's racing Whippet Rag Lad,Blue's dam was a big dark brindle bitch called Darkie owned by R Jackson of Broughton Moor,the bitch "apparently" was collie/grey x deerhound/grey? But yes i heard MANY times from Vic that the dogs had Kerry Blue in them,i think now looking back he was just saying this as his dog was blue in colour haha..good craic though folks,i enjoy it ?

Edited to correct double wordings ffs

• Like 4

Handsome bitch that mate how old is she atb Flacko

7 in a couple month. Done everything from the rat to the biggest beast. Day or night she has excelled for us. 9AF16121-D50B-4627-8C0A-8F70DF9CDCF7_zps
Cracking looking bitch frankel.

And an excellent pic

As handsome as the bloke that bred her,,,,,,

• Like 2

7 in a couple month. Done everything from the rat to the biggest beast. Day or night she has excelled for us. 9AF16121-D50B-4627-8C0A-8F70DF9CDCF7_zps

And an excellent pic

Was that you tomo ?

And an excellent pic

Was that you tomo ?

That wasn't a breeding that was a drugged up date rape :laugh: ,,

• Like 3

And an excellent pic

Was that you tomo ?

Thought it was obviouse they look like the breeder,,,,massive shoulders ,,,lol