shotgun for deer

what about balistic tips ? limeted chance if any of pass through to upper rib cage from a downwards shot from a high seat !

some meat damage , so what its pest control , they need gone and loin and haunches will still be fine ?

you could as suggested put up feed stations with bales of wet straw as back stops to absorb any fragments that might pass through .

what about balistic tips ? limeted chance if any of pass through to upper rib cage from a downwards shot from a high seat !

some meat damage , so what its pest control , they need gone and loin and haunches will still be fine ?

you could as suggested put up feed stations with bales of wet straw as back stops to absorb any fragments that might pass through .

other then trapping which i do not think is legal that sounds like the best thing i have read so far I did not think of ballistic tips and i must say i have never used them how do they work compared expanding ammo which i do know how it works. not to worried about meat damage just need to get the job done.

here http://www.nosler.com/bullets/ballistic-tip.aspx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in all honesty put up a high seat and feed into a safe shootable position, job done

That person is wrong . Muntjack are called a pest by forresters. BUT are classed as Deer in Law and are covered by the Deer Act. If you are baiting then your claim of Damage is rocky to say the least

Mark you don't have to shout.

Only being Devils advocate, high seat makes a lot of difference as the deer would have to be along way out for your shot not to ground.

Do you reload ? Why not use the fastest lightest bullet for your 270 that way you will get a explosive round that will dissapate most of its energy and break up in the rib cage and less chance of bullet exiting. I hate to shoot deer and waste meat would rather it walk than waste it.

Any mates got a .223 ?

Why not as your FLO for his advice ? covers your back.

Mark you don't have to shout.

Only being Devils advocate, high seat makes a lot of difference as the deer would have to be along way out for your shot not to ground.

Do you reload ? Why not use the fastest lightest bullet for your 270 that way you will get a explosive round that will dissapate most of its energy and break up in the rib cage and less chance of bullet exiting. I hate to shoot deer and waste meat would rather it walk than waste it.

Any mates got a .223 ?

Why not as your FLO for his advice ? covers your back.

sound advice :thumbs:

got know mates that shoot with open ticket and there is know way the fao would say it clear to shoot a 223 I am unsure they would clear it for a .22. high site with straw sounds like a safe bet just been looking at different ammo the ballistic tips look good but the silver ones look better i doubt i will be shooting them more then 50 yards out how do ballistic tips work on ricochet if they miss or pass threw the animal.

got know mates that shoot with open ticket and there is know way the fao would say it clear to shoot a 223 I am unsure they would clear it for a .22. high site with straw sounds like a safe bet just been looking at different ammo the ballistic tips look good but the silver ones look better i doubt i will be shooting them more then 50 yards out how do ballistic tips work on ricochet if they miss or pass threw the animal.

in all honesty put up a high seat and feed into a safe shootable position, job done :thumbs:
  • Like 1

i will give this ago then but i would like to know if anyone can give me the answers to what i was asking in the first place just so i know for the future many thanks all

if you do what i say then theres no need to ask the question as long as you have an open ticket for your 270 :thumbs:

iv used my 12g on roe plenty of times when they have been in our orchard causing damage and i think instead of using aaa you should ask for slug on your ticket and the reason youve given for using your shotgun is the best but the law states if the land the deer are causing damage on is cultivated and crops or forestry are being damaged you are ok using your 12g and a crop could be a wheat field of 100 acres or your grandmothers strawberrys in her back garden its ok for you to use your shotgun just check with your feo that its 100 percent but i think you will be ok atb

As far as I'm aware Mark, the exemption for using a Shotgun for Deer is there to protect crops, trees and foodstuffs from damage.

They are used to great effect where a rifle just isn't suitable such as the orchard mentioned above, row after row of trees just isn't rifle territory really.

As to whether the exemption covers someone's plants I don't know. If they were growing crops in their veg garden I would say you are still very technically inside the law.

If you have a .270 which is conditioned for Deer and an Open FAC then I can't see the issue, other than noise, with using it with the above mentioned ballistic tips. The speed at which a .270 will throw a light ballistic tipped head would mean the expansion would likely be contained within the body and if you miss, the chances of ricochet are minimalised due to the very frangible bullet. They cannot ever be ruled out but reduced.

Large shotgun shot will ricochet the same as a rifle bullet if it hits hard ground, water or rocks.

at least the balistic tips will only heavily damage the vitals and some bony areas of the carcase . 50 yard balistic tip with back stop gotta be the way , god forbid something went wrong, you can document that all aspects of safety where considered and implimented before any shots where fired !!

id want balistic tips in a full bore over a slug in a 12g , iv talked to alot of guys who have shot boar etc with them and there not idea from the sound of it , there tragectory is rainbow like and they richoche like mad im told , one guy who is semi profesional stalker and guide , shot boar in italy and told me a story of him shooting at a yearling boar , the shot went well low hit a stone and the impact of the stone struck the pig on the side of the head and killed it !! more worringly the slug carried on screaming through the trees !!

from what else i have read there are a perfured choice for novice shots in the states in really heavy forest where there are many trees to absorb the slug , and they still use tree stands and high seats .

my thoughts are they are for 15/20 yard dangerouse game only ..

each to there own tho i supose .

Like I said I will be using ballistic tip with back stop but I have spoken with natural England/defra as I still wanted to know the answer to. The question and the answer is anyone that has permission in writing can shoot deer in season with a 12 gauge with a min of aaa shot if it I'd believed they are going too or have caused damage be it a field or a garden they consider a coppies of trees to be any thing more then one and damage can be anything such as a hedge plants, baiting is illegal if this is done for sport but used in a management plan is not and is seen as no different to a deer lawn in a wood or forest so now we all know the law o one other thing you still need to have deer on your certificate before you. Shoot one with. What ever gun you choice