I'd agree with most in that IMO it is not only daft but dangerous for running dogs, especially sommat with the take off speed of a whippet. Skycats bob on too, its used on hounds because they pack, terriers because one may 'drop in' unnoticed and in both cases the youngster is usually of equal size and substance to its partner, simply no need to couple running dogs, I genuinly can't see what the'd 'learn' from it...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me mate that is screaming out injury fair enough walking them on couples but free running etc what of a rabbit pops up and dogs turn either way or whatever? Playing and turn either way? Pups with y

There is massive difference between fox hounds and running dogs, both physically and in temperament. I can see how it works with fox hounds, which must learn to operate as part of a pack, but they a

Hell yeah it has

Posted Images

I have thought about this before but think you need the pack mentallity and stronger bones. The bones in a whippets leg at 6 months is like the thickness of the bones in your finger. One wrong move and you are faced with a serious decision. My whippet snapped her front leg in half at 3 and a half months by crashing into my pointer. The insurance has paid out over £3k to get her fixed and it is now looking like it might come good a year later, EVERYONE I asked at the time said to just put her down.

what ever suits you do it, your the man that owns the dogs, Shepherds, do it couple there young stock to a an experienced, dog, ((( to many whiter than white dog handlers, (((( a Dog is a dog, its bred to work for the handler not the other way round the tail wagging the dog,

doesn,t a young running dog learn from older dogs anyway without the use of couples, absolutely no point in coupling whatsoever imo, and cruel as far as I can see, as rabbiting man said ( especialy in the second pic ) the older dog looks well pissed off

my point is if the man wishes to couple his dog and pup thats his busines, I have never done it, but that does not mean to say it cannot be done, my young dog 2 year old has never run with an other dog, at any time all is his capabilities, and can hunt hunt a field for his quarry and carry back, if it is possible, it is down to the individual, how he wishes to train his dog, and no one in there right mind would couple a pup to an adult, and then go rabbiting or coursing, but I could see a point

for recall, but really nothing else, (((((( this place is getting worse by the day,

• Like 1

what ever suits you do it, your the man that owns the dogs, Shepherds, do it couple there young stock to a an experienced, dog, ((( to many whiter than white dog handlers, (((( a Dog is a dog, its bred to work for the handler not the other way round the tail wagging the dog,

doesn,t a young running dog learn from older dogs anyway without the use of couples, absolutely no point in coupling whatsoever imo, and cruel as far as I can see, as rabbiting man said ( especialy in the second pic ) the older dog looks well pissed off

my point is if the man wishes to couple his dog and pup thats his busines, I have never done it, but that does not mean to say it cannot be done, my young dog 2 year old has never run with an other dog, at any time all is his capabilities, and can hunt hunt a field for his quarry and carry back, if it is possible, it is down to the individual, how he wishes to train his dog, and no one in there right mind would couple a pup to an adult, and then go rabbiting or coursing, but I could see a point

for recall, but really nothing else, (((((( this place is getting worse by the day,

aye each man to his own but still can,t see the point, you wake up wrong side of bed

I am out of my bed bright and early every morning, and out with the dog catching all those milky doe rabbits,,((((( but truth is some useless stupid b--tard is going around on a Quad bike, Lamping at this time of year, and then come the back end were has all the rabbits gone,,,, grass is 9" deep crops are coming on and yet these summer time hunters are a disgrace, never mind the fellow who wants couple his whippet,,,,,,,

I am out of my bed bright and early every morning, and out with the dog catching all those milky doe rabbits,,((((( but truth is some useless stupid b--tard is going around on a Quad bike, Lamping at this time of year, and then come the back end were has all the rabbits gone,,,, grass is 9" deep crops are coming on and yet these summer time hunters are a disgrace, never mind the fellow who wants couple his whippet,,,,,,,

aye I sympathise bud, can you no sort it ? and I don,t get the last sentance ?

To say its cruel just becouse youve never done it Is why hunting got banned. The chance of either dog getting injured is very remote,Neither dog can really get any speed up even if somthing dos get up. In saying that even the old hounds dont look happy being pulled around by a youngster so wouldnt do it to one of my running dogs.Dont really see why you would but hey thats americans.

• Like 1

Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

To say its cruel just becouse youve never done it Is why hunting got banned. The chance of either dog getting injured is very remote,Neither dog can really get any speed up even if somthing dos get up. In saying that even the old hounds dont look happy being pulled around by a youngster so wouldnt do it to one of my running dogs.Dont really see why you would but hey thats americans.

That first staements just daft, you can,t compare hunting to tethering two animals together

Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

so the solution to your inadequte training is to tether the pups :hmm:

• Like 1

That first staements just daft, you can,t compare hunting to tethering two animals together

The same way antis compare digging to baiting :hmm: