Im a professional huntsman for a pack of hounds and have always trained the foxhound pups with couples, for those of you who dont know what im talking about i'll give you a quick rundown, the younger hound is put on a couple ( similar but bigger to a terrier couple) with an older experienced hound and when a command is given to the old hound the pups is dragged along and the pup learns from association, so....... to get to my point, ive kept back two whippet puppies from a litter i bred and have decided to try this out with them. keeping two pups back is difficult because they tend to gang up and piss off in the opposite direction, this way they are not able to do that but are still getting out a lot without the fear of them getting into trouble, so far it seems to be working, i suppose a lot of it depends on the tollerance levels of the dog the pup is coupled to.

7170853918_938efd5b40_b.jpg

LMP31959 by foxhound51, on Flickr

7170850334_7410bcf7d9_b.jpg

LMP31948 by foxhound51, on Flickr

7170857172_a59257224f_b.jpg

LMP32010 by foxhound51, on Flickr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me mate that is screaming out injury fair enough walking them on couples but free running etc what of a rabbit pops up and dogs turn either way or whatever? Playing and turn either way? Pups with y

There is massive difference between fox hounds and running dogs, both physically and in temperament. I can see how it works with fox hounds, which must learn to operate as part of a pack, but they a

Hell yeah it has

Posted Images

To me mate that is screaming out injury fair enough walking them on couples but free running etc what of a rabbit pops up and dogs turn either way or whatever? Playing and turn either way? Pups with young bones coupled with adult dogs like I said for me your playing with fire hounds are well boned slower animals whippets are thin boned speed machines 1 wrong move and your up shit creek.

• Like 16

There is massive difference between fox hounds and running dogs, both physically and in temperament. I can see how it works with fox hounds, which must learn to operate as part of a pack, but they are so much slower and more robust than sight hound. Even if a sight hound pup and adult are not exercised where there is live game to chase, it is a recipe for injury: damage to neck and back joints if the adult takes off suddenly, not to mention the constant yanks that the adult must suffer with a pup leaping about all the time: they'd get pretty pissed off very fast.

I'm sure you know what your'e doing with hounds, but with Whippets? Well, I'd never risk such a course of action with any lurcher or running dog. Besides which, pups need to run about free to exercise their growing bodies and minds. Just my opinion.

• Like 11

what ever suits you do it, your the man that owns the dogs, Shepherds, do it couple there young stock to a an experienced, dog, ((( to many whiter than white dog handlers, (((( a Dog is a dog, its bred to work for the handler not the other way round the tail wagging the dog,

Hmmm; It probably works for 'Hounds as they are a pack animal, but sight hounds, running dogs, more usualy work alone. I wouldn't do it for the reasons allready mentioned, if the adult took off after a hare, I'd hate to think of the consequences for the pup !

Cheers.

what ever suits you do it, your the man that owns the dogs, Shepherds, do it couple there young stock to a an experienced, dog, ((( to many whiter than white dog handlers, (((( a Dog is a dog, its bred to work for the handler not the other way round the tail wagging the dog,

doesn,t a young running dog learn from older dogs anyway without the use of couples, absolutely no point in coupling whatsoever imo, and cruel as far as I can see, as rabbiting man said ( especialy in the second pic ) the older dog looks well pissed off