stripping terriers?

I've Lakeland/border x's and they've a very linty coat. I usually stripp them down about twice a year to get the dead hair out and tidy them up. Tried clippers and combs but i always end up plucking them when I'm out for a good dander over the fields. Atb

Edited by MUDD

If it is border type wire coat then the only way is hand strip - takes ages on my border and you hav to be patient. If you clip them they go all fluffy and look gay...maybe ok if you clip it regularly but not if you let the wirey stuff grow back fluffy.

You can get a stripping comb, they work on smaller dogs much better than a hacksaw blade, other than that its fingers, thumbs and a whole load of patience, taking care to strip back only small ammounts at each pluck. Stripping is a long flustrating task (for me it always was!!) but when done right, far better than shears for your dogs coat.

furminator.

or an old pair of electric hair clippers from car boot/junk shop.

get a screwdriver and undo the 2 bottom screws and there you have a furminator blade for free..run it through the dogs coats and watch it strip away..

• 2 weeks later...

Got a comb ordered, should be here this week. I'll give it a go and see what happens.I'll try take pics and load them up once it's done.

Dog is nine month old looking foward to working him, still real puppish though. Need to try see if can get a rat or two with him.

Edited by ghamilton14