hi all we went out friday shot out a rookery we ended the day with 60 plus birds cant wait to get some more days like it will try put pics up later

you 'shot out' a rookery? Why the need to shoot so many rooks?

we shot both young and old birds mate .they was shot on reqeust from farmer obviously you aint seen rook damage to field or the things takin young bird or eggs .

• Like 1

Rooks in large numbers can cause more damage then woodies to a crop and crops arent the only thing on their hit list. Song bird populations suffer ground nesting birds will suffer they take eggs, chicks and take the eyes out of newborn lambs. rooks are not good in large numbers.

atb

• Like 1

Rooks in large numbers can cause more damage then woodies to a crop and crops arent the only thing on their hit list. Song bird populations suffer ground nesting birds will suffer they take eggs, chicks and take the eyes out of newborn lambs. rooks are not good in large numbers.

atb

Get your damn facts right!

Rooks are not predatory, they don't attack lambs and don't affect songbird populations.

They are an agricultural pest and do eat animal feeds and are known to take seeds.

They also eat a huge number of leather jackets (cranefly larvae) which are a pest to farmers.

• Like 4

atb

Get your damn facts right!

Rooks are not predatory, they don't attack lambs and don't affect songbird populations.

They are an agricultural pest and do eat animal feeds and are known to take seeds.

They also eat a huge number of leather jackets (cranefly larvae) which are a pest to farmers.

correct :thumbs:

so would you shoot them or not duncan as we can c your mad 4 the shooting.or have you never been ask by a farmer to sort a pest out i thought thats why they give permission

Im not saying you did wrong if thats what a farmer asked you to do...but.... rooks do not peck out lambs eyes, iv worked on and around one of the largest sheep farms in the north of England and iv never seen rooks do that, carrions yes, rooks no. Iv also seen rooks living quite happily on wild bird shoots, they dont have a 'massive' impact on ground nesting birds and are no threat to song birds. Rooks can cause problems on new drillings but its often evened out with the good they do. Once again if a farmer insisted then fair enough, iv controlled quite a few rooks both on drillings and landfill sites but as a pest controller you should, where possible, educate yourself so you can educate those you control pests for. Its just a shame to 'shoot out' a rookery when in a lot of areas rooks are declining, I know in my area the rookerys reduce in size every year and a few have disapeared, maybe its different in your area, it certainly sounds like it what with you having lamb worrying rooks.

No need to get all female about it though pal, people are allowed different opinions. :D

• Like 1

its surprising the amount of shooters/hunters that dont know the difference between rooks and crows,

• Like 1

so would you shoot them or not duncan as we can c your mad 4 the shooting.or have you never been ask by a farmer to sort a pest out i thought thats why they give permission

Damn right I shoot them - as I said they are an agricultural pest and I book brancher day off each year to do just that.

When I cook them, branchers taste better than fillet steak :)

I wasn't objecting to Rooks being shot, just the reasons given. A pest? yes. A criminal species akin to crows and magpies? No.

• Like 2

How do

One farmer i shoot for hates them and requests I deal with the orchard every year to reduce them ,yet another farmer loves them as they clear the fields of some kind of crawling pest,anyway I respect both their wishes though I tend to like shooting the orchard,I fully understand why he likes them shot because I lived at the farm for a while and to get some sleep with a hundred rooks squawking at 4 am was ni on impossible,and the young ones tast ok too,

Atb

How do

One farmer i shoot for hates them and requests I deal with the orchard every year to reduce them ,yet another farmer loves them as they clear the fields of some kind of crawling pest,anyway I respect both their wishes though I tend to like shooting the orchard,I fully understand why he likes them shot because I lived at the farm for a while and to get some sleep with a hundred rooks squawking at 4 am was ni on impossible,and the young ones tast ok too,

Atb

They can be noisy beggars lol!!!

Crawling pests he refers to are leatherjackets (cranefly or daddy longlegs larvae).

• Like 1

One permission ive got there just across the road from the house and the farmer said they dont notice them . I thought about thinning out a few as there supposed to be good eating but thats as far as it gets