Red kite ?

beany

Coming home from London today on the M40 around or just before high wycombe and in the sky over the motorway must have been around a dozen of them or they looked very much like em.

Has anybody seen em or am I totaly wrong they were not buzzards

They were released at Stokenchurch just outside High Wycombe around 25 year ago, at that time there were only around 8 Red Kites in Mid Wales, the plan was for them to breed and disperse .... the breeding worked but the locals find it interesting to feed them in their gardens so why should they disperse if they are being fed !!!!!

Now they have an over population of them down there and there is talk of CULLING them ......

Kites are not hunting birds, they are scavengers ......................

Lovely to see them, have flown Red kites, Black Kites and Brahminy Kites, they are very light on the wing.

Regards Alec

They were released at Stokenchurch just outside High Wycombe around 25 year ago, at that time there were only around 8 Red Kites in Mid Wales, the plan was for them to breed and disperse .... the breeding worked but the locals find it interesting to feed them in their gardens so why should they disperse if they are being fed !!!!!

Now they have an over population of them down there and there is talk of CULLING them ......

Lovely to see them, have flown Red kites, Black Kites and Brahminy Kites, they are very light on the wing.

Regards Alec

They reckon they were more numerous than crows in the cities during the middle ages. :yes: Would have been some sight to see flocks of those hanging about the place!

Regards Alec

:laugh: ..................just like buzzards eh!!!

• Like 1

Are they better scavengers than buzzards ? As in more aggressive will happily eat together ? If so will the numbers of kites increase to a level that the buzzard will start to become endangered ? If so then perhaps a cull will be needed ............

don't know the answer to that one Socks, but we have plenty of buzzards and red kites here in North Bucks, very numerous in the last few years. I have seen a lot less kestrels around since they turned up. Inter-guild predation?

Are they better scavengers than buzzards ? As in more aggressive will happily eat together ? If so will the numbers of kites increase to a level that the buzzard will start to become endangered ? If so then perhaps a cull will be needed ............

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they reached a balance, there's loads of buzzards about round here these days.. They're both native birds so they did exist side by side together at one point.. :thumbs:

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they reached a balance, there's loads of buzzards about round here these days.. They're both native birds so they did exist side by side together at one point.. :thumbs:

We got plenty up here

post-17796-0-81474900-1336168960_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-63812600-1336168974_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

we had a few coming into the garden probably attracted to the noise of my birds. I made the big mistake of feeding them by chucking some Day Old Chick up on the house roof for them, they soon tagged on and started coming back for a feed.

I packed it in when they started upsetting my breeding birds, its a shame as I reckon I would have had them coming in pretty close in the end...