Boar hunting in england

is there anywhere you can hunt boar in this country? and if so where? id love to try my dog on a boar, i reckon he'd fair pretty well, he aint the biggest of beasts but like the saying goes it aint the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog, and my neighbours red nose pit bull fairy with an attitude found that lesson out the hard way!

Edited by mancterrierman

just because your dog enjoys fighting other dogs, don't make it a big tough pigdog mate. your dog may only last one encounter with a boar as a dog that goes head to head with a boar has a limited lifespan or gets to know ya vet on a first name basis.

Well said Kiwi, it takes a lot more than just being dead game to make a good pigdog. Like brains, speed, strenght and nose just to name a few. Dogs that fight amongst themselves tend to be the first ones shot around here.

Stevemac

Well said Kiwi, it takes a lot more than just being dead game to make a good pigdog. Like brains, speed, strenght and nose just to name a few. Dogs that fight amongst themselves tend to be the first ones shot around here.

Stevemac

its easy getting a dog to lug up just about any bull breed will do it getting them to find to loose and to run on is the hard bit

just because your dog enjoys fighting other dogs, don't make it a big tough pigdog mate. your dog may only last one encounter with a boar as a dog that goes head to head with a boar has a limited lifespan or gets to know ya vet on a first name basis.

with that said, dont staffs usually make fair pig dogs?

in my experience,no. they do very well in crossbreds though. like boxers they are not the sharpest tools in the shed and can have issue's with other dogs, not good in a pack situation.

not dishing the breed at all, as they are real good mates.

{stabs dogs looked like they could be handy i might add}

is there anywhere you can hunt boar in this country? and if so where? id love to try my dog on a boar, i reckon he'd fair pretty well, he aint the biggest of beasts but like the saying goes it aint the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog, and my neighbours red nose pit bull fairy with an attitude found that lesson out the hard way!

if you value your dog at all dont try it.... ;)

if you value your dog at all dont try it.... ;)

Are you saying that pighunters don't value their dogs...or what?.

• 2 weeks later...
Putting a green dog on a boar would most likely get your dog killed!!

Do you mean an inexperianced dog straight on to big hog?? I'm fairly sure everyone on this site has more respect for their dog's. :big_boss:

Putting a green dog on a boar would most likely get your dog killed!!

I'm sure your saying that after years of pighunting experience with your own dogs. :hmm:

Kath, I've never had a young dog killed or hurt badly by a boar, hopefully the roll will continue.

Edited by Shanedog

Topper do you use dog's? if so what breed? What sort of weight is the average hog you are catching? 5 yrs ago i went to Texas to partake in a spot of hog hunting a real eye opener :icon_eek: I have 3 Ambull's myself aswell as a Bullx lurcher. I never thought i'd see the day folk were doing this in the U.K. :victory: