rabbit closed season

This seems to me to be rather a strange topic. If the hunter is finding that the rabbit/squirell are in a shortage then surely its up to the hunter to bring it up with land owner. If the owner has an opinion on the matter i.e. Horse paddock or farmer being eaten out of a profit, then they might want the problem cleared of all. But the land owner with the big garden or the gardener with the alotment may want a few but only a few left, then its different.

After all said and done, we have to ask permission to hunt the land. It's the landowners choice, you bring it up with them. But at the end of the day, you either pull the trigger or not. YOUR CHOICE

ATVB

Roger

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.   Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or larg

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits

in theory for sport i agree but rabbit is a pest species under the genral licence it doesnt stop eating crop or undermining hedgrows for 6 months of the year so its fair game all year for me ... term

Posted Images

thanks lads for a decent discussion here ,it seems most if not all are sensible experienced hunters who obviously know the game , a lot of my land borders national trust land when has huge pops of rabbits ,b ut the farmer is a nature lover & i dont shoot only when he tells me too clear some ,i like to leave plenty for my ferreting forays ,he is happy i am happy ,some of my other pals shoot 100s each week they have to as there are 1000s on the land they control , so each to his own as you say , as i said before sensible replies from experienced lads thanks :thumbs:

All my permission land owner's have no mercy on rabbit's AT ALL.!! One of my permissions is a golf course and when i started shooting it there was two other blokes shootig it aswell but they wouldnt shoot them this time of year...Hence they dont have that permission anymore and i souley have it to myself now ;) I dont wipe them out but CONTROL them..I know exactly whats there and where..If it couses damage it goes. Just recenty i killed the last buck on there and left 2 doe's with young...But one of the doe's has started to dig up the greens for young fresh shoots..anymore and she'll be going as the young are old enough to be without her. When they piss on the greens it burn's the grass leaving big brown mark's and the owner spends hours up on hours making them good. Vermin control is Essential anytime of the year and its totalyt pointless going out for permission and only doing what you want..Its not your land there damaging. Ask yourself this...You have a nice garden and five rabbits in it causing damage...what will you do.? Your a farmer...your land is your livleyhood.. What do you do if you have a vermin infestation.? Wait for them to breed.? Or control.? The reasons theres no rabbits is down to so many people without permission, such as people with dogs and guns that think its a buzz just going round doing as they please... I know this is a fact because there was nobody worse than me for it from the age of 11 till i was well into my late 20's. I didnt give a toss about anything or anyone or anything i did, but eventually I learnt that i got more permission and respect if i did a good job controling vermin within the law. It takes time but it pays off in the end.

Do a good job and you keep your permission... and gain more permission :thumbs:

Atb

Marty.

Edited by Probuk
  • Like 2

all well said but this keeping farmer -landowner happy and killing all the pesky rabbits ends up with so few rabbits on YOUR permission that it ends up a waste of time traveling to and from said permission ,i wont travel long distances for 3 or 4 rabbits .

fair replies lads ,i have some permissions that require that ,but do we all not secretly leave the little ones for a bit later :whistling:

Although I would love to leave em to grow and for the future all my permissions are erradication jobs. I am hoping that eventually I get a decent sized perm with a "Control the numbers" clause rather than the erradicate the lot.

Tony

all well said but this keeping farmer -landowner happy and killing all the pesky rabbits ends up with so few rabbits on YOUR permission that it ends up a waste of time traveling to and from said permission ,i wont travel long distances for 3 or 4 rabbits .

Thats a good point in one way i guess..Im lucky, All my permission is only a few minutes drive away from my home.

Atb

Marty

This seems to me to be rather a strange topic. If the hunter is finding that the rabbit/squirell are in a shortage then surely its up to the hunter to bring it up with land owner. If the owner has an opinion on the matter i.e. Horse paddock or farmer being eaten out of a profit, then they might want the problem cleared of all. But the land owner with the big garden or the gardener with the alotment may want a few but only a few left, then its different.

After all said and done, we have to ask permission to hunt the land. It's the landowners choice, you bring it up with them. But at the end of the day, you either pull the trigger or not. YOUR CHOICE

ATVB

Roger

True..the golf course owner i shoot for always comes out of his house to have a look around at the new damage they'v caused. Irecenly mensioned about young there and asked him what he would like me to do. His reply was kill them on sight :icon_eek:

But when it came to doing it, it was harder than i first thought for two reasons.. 1. they dont cause as much damage as the adults and 2. I like rabbit pie and i wont get many of them off this land if i kill them now.

So yep there still there for another day.

If however he mentions them again then they go :cray: It's not easy trying to keep us both happy and it is after all his buisiness and living.

Marty

ATVB

Roger

True..the golf course owner i shoot for always comes out of his house to have a look around at the new damage they'v caused. Irecenly mensioned about young there and asked him what he would like me to do. His reply was kill them on sight :icon_eek:

But when it came to doing it, it was harder than i first thought for two reasons.. 1. they dont cause as much damage as the adults and 2. I like rabbit pie and i wont get many of them off this land if i kill them now.

So yep there still there for another day.

If however he mentions them again then they go :cray: It's not easy trying to keep us both happy and it is after all his buisiness and living.

Marty

reread your earlier post Marty "if you dont do it someone will come along and do it" 2 lads lost the permission when you came along because they were n't doing the job required by the owner :yes:

Last night I asked wether anyone had sporting permission or pest control :hmm: not one reply?

This about clearing rabbits out? the reason rabbits(or any animal for that matter) breeds depends on how much food is available to sustain a certain number, they dont breed to produce competitors for what food is there if the food is in short supply but will produce large numbers of youngsters when the crops are coming up and food is plentiful for all that are in the warren. If that does n't make sense go watch a warren any warm evening and watch the heirarchy chasing and seeing of rabbits encroaching on their space :yes:

Y.I.S Leeview

its all about management .. we still go out but we dont shoot the young ,,we used to but it just knacks you up for next season manage your permissions well and you should never run out

atb gary

festa has just hit the nail on the head lads! manage your permission ! dont eradicate it so that its pointless having it because why would we want permission to shoot nowt? -billy

For those areas that are not getting real rabbit problems I believe a good break is only fair and right or your following years stock will fall low. I try not to shoot kits at all if I can help it unless instructed to. As of last year I decided that there was no real enjoyment in shooting them so I gave up. Anyone can shoot a kit at 10 metres, but the reward in regards to meat and self pleasure is negligible. I haven't shot a rabbit now for about 4 or 5 weeks since reviewing that Nite - Hunter NV kit and I probably won't again till later in the Summer when the bunnies have bred or until I visit one of my permissions again where rabbit numbers are very high and the property owners want them thinning a bit. Even then its just a case of taking 4 or 5 each visit and not personally targeting kits.

I like shooting the corvids at this time of year and the magpies and crows around my permissions are getting hit at the moment really hard. They are the 2 species I will shoot all year around young or old.

Si.

• Like 2

plague numbers my arse! why do people over re-act when they see a few dozen rabbits running about im one of the fortunate ones that has seen good numbers of rabbits but theres not the same ammount around today and i think thats a fact -billy

plague numbers my arse! why do people over re-act when they see a few dozen rabbits running about im one of the fortunate ones that has seen good numbers of rabbits but theres not the same ammount around today and i think thats a fact -billy

Sells paper dunnit!