rabbit closed season

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.   Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or larg

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits

in theory for sport i agree but rabbit is a pest species under the genral licence it doesnt stop eating crop or undermining hedgrows for 6 months of the year so its fair game all year for me ... term

Posted Images

:laugh: :laugh: Why would they publish a load of crap, whats to gain?

Can you honestly say an article like this will sell more papers????.....I think not :no:

Mixy isnt as prodominant as it was years ago ( Thank God ), and natural predators are not there in numbers anymore.

The figures talked about covers the whole country, not selected areas.

Granted some areas are hammered, but you wont get them all. you may think you have.

Warmer winters and climate are aiding the breeding no end.

At the moment mixy is rife around my way, I shot one a couple of days ago right outside my caravan. Nearly all the land i go on has got it on there it's GUTTING.!

so why is it that most lads on here have noticed a big decline in thier numbers ?not an argument or owt just an opinion-billy

I think this all depens on where you are and how many people are doing the rabbits. Around here theres two wildfouler clubs or the girls clubs as i call them..there both full of bitches that bitch over whos got what land or whos shooting all the rabbits Pheasnts. Then you get the dog lads and around here most dont have permission or even a car, they leave dead rabbits and deer in dykes.!! Yes if your reading this you know who you are.!! What a waist.
  • 3 weeks later...

This seems to me to be rather a strange topic. If the hunter is finding that the rabbit/squirell are in a shortage then surely its up to the hunter to bring it up with land owner. If the owner has an opinion on the matter i.e. Horse paddock or farmer being eaten out of a profit, then they might want the problem cleared of all. But the land owner with the big garden or the gardener with the alotment may want a few but only a few left, then its different.

After all said and done, we have to ask permission to hunt the land. It's the landowners choice, you bring it up with them. But at the end of the day, you either pull the trigger or not. YOUR CHOICE

ATVB

Roger

True..the golf course owner i shoot for always comes out of his house to have a look around at the new damage they'v caused. Irecenly mensioned about young there and asked him what he would like me to do. His reply was kill them on sight :icon_eek:

But when it came to doing it, it was harder than i first thought for two reasons.. 1. they dont cause as much damage as the adults and 2. I like rabbit pie and i wont get many of them off this land if i kill them now.

So yep there still there for another day.

If however he mentions them again then they go :cray: It's not easy trying to keep us both happy and it is after all his buisiness and living.

Marty

reread your earlier post Marty "if you dont do it someone will come along and do it" 2 lads lost the permission when you came along because they were n't doing the job required by the owner :yes:

Last night I asked wether anyone had sporting permission or pest control :hmm: not one reply?

This about clearing rabbits out? the reason rabbits(or any animal for that matter) breeds depends on how much food is available to sustain a certain number, they dont breed to produce competitors for what food is there if the food is in short supply but will produce large numbers of youngsters when the crops are coming up and food is plentiful for all that are in the warren. If that does n't make sense go watch a warren any warm evening and watch the heirarchy chasing and seeing of rabbits encroaching on their space :yes:

Y.I.S Leeview

Rabbits will breed whatever the situation imo. To say rabbits will only breed where there is only enough food is nonsense. I meen come on theres a real shortage of grass isnt there??

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits gone ! well the poor feckers are hunted ,shot ferreted lamped snared hawked longnetted you name it , they have it , in our times there was no NV THERE WAS MIXI BUT STILL 10000S OF RABBITS so how can they survive if they dont have time to breed ???? right lads feel free to abuse me ,i expect it :angel: .them who know the countyrside & proper fieldcraft what do you think :thumbs:

I keep shooting them but they just keep coming :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At least the blasted thing's are under control today....If it live's on MY Permission..It live's because I want it to live.!! Now that's control... :thumbs:

Atb

Marty :victory:

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits gone ! well the poor feckers are hunted ,shot ferreted lamped snared hawked longnetted you name it , they have it , in our times there was no NV THERE WAS MIXI BUT STILL 10000S OF RABBITS so how can they survive if they dont have time to breed ???? right lads feel free to abuse me ,i expect it :angel: .them who know the countyrside & proper fieldcraft what do you think :thumbs:

Very valid point, all I do if I fancy a bunny for supper, is sit and watch them and shoot the buck as he chases the doe around, in fact that is exactly what I did last night,but was shooting with my .22rf so I accept it is slightly easier than with an air rifle,but still possible with patience.

I normally shot or hunt rabbits in the winter and take a few in the summer for ferret food and the pot but last autumn the numbers just dropped loads in the summer time and I did not shoot that many then they where gone took until janurary before they started turning up again done a bit of ferreting and pretty much every warren had dead rabbits in. I can not remember what the disease is called but it will kill a rabbit with in 3 days the only thing it does not kill is the young ones as there emuin system is not developed enough for this disease to attach it but they then become emuin to this disease I know it was introduced into Australia some time back and within a few months it had killed over 8000000 rabbits you can find out about it on the web it been here for a few years now but only seems to pop its head up when it is hot this may answer why some of you are not seeing any rabbits.

these man made diseases are a pain in the ass when theres plenty of responsible lads /lasses out there that would gladly keep them under control and give them a humane death instead of them suffering for days at a time -billy

these man made diseases are a pain in the ass when theres plenty of responsible lads /lasses out there that would gladly keep them under control and give them a humane death instead of them suffering for days at a time -billy

:thumbs:

I dont think this was a man made disease but it was introduced to different countries on purpose by man I know new zealand was going to let it be introduced there but when they saw how out of control it was else where they band rabbit being brought in from certain countries.

To us folk shooting trapping rabbits is a day out,to the farmer getting them off his land can mean extra income from his crops,they let me on there land for one reason only and that is to control the rabbits,leave them alone long enough and they will build back up in numbers to a problem level,so I change tack through out the year to keep the population at a level the farmer is happy with.Keep them happy and they keep you happy.

I tend to leave them for a few months.....but we got plenty on my perms.....we not had any mixi for few years and never had VHD as far as i can remember....yet 20 -30 miles down road VHD has devostated the bunnie pop...one perm of my mates has had no rabbits for nearly 2 years.

But leaving them alone for a few months is a good idea but not in all circumstances ie horse paddocks,crops if pops are high

i shoot rabbits whenever i see em ,lol. i have a few spots in north yorks that i have noticed over the last couple a years numbers have dropped. still a few about though. i also have a HUGE permission on the pennines' which is absoloutly heaving with rabbits' i love walkin the fell sides up with me shotgun

shooting any rabbits that get up. i shot 21 a few weeks back and me mate shot 18.just walkin about wit shotties. i'm back up there sunday. i shoot the fells year round aswell winter and summer . i'm no fair weather hunter. weather is very changeable on the fells' sometimes you get all 4 seasons in an hour.

VHD that the one I could not think of what it was called when righting my other post on here I dont believe it was man made can you tell and the others I had it come through my shooting land last year pretty much wiped out all the adults but it must have came when the young where still young enough for it not to effect them and old enough for them to survive as they are back in quite large numbers good for me but not for the land owners

VHD that the one I could not think of what it was called when righting my other post on here I dont believe it was man made can you tell and the others I had it come through my shooting land last year pretty much wiped out all the adults but it must have came when the young where still young enough for it not to effect them and old enough for them to survive as they are back in quite large numbers good for me but not for the land owners

VHD is not man made made your correct.....it kills in 48 hours but does not kill rabbits under 4 weeks old....but as it can last in ground for half a year or more with no host when the young mature they to in turn will also get the virus and bye bye bunnie