rabbit closed season

well mate here goes! just kidding though as im old school and wont shoot a rabbit this season or maybe not this year! their numbers are at a shocking low around here and i for one wont shoot any until i think theres enough to pick a couple off

i would do the same thing if if weren't the fact that when the numbers had got up and others noticed it they would go poach you rabbits. so you would have wasted your time waiting.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It comes down to shooting for sport or shooting for vermin control again.   Rabbits are not too big a problem my way because of the terrain, with most problems coming from forestry, paddocks or larg

whats the opinion on a volountary close season for rabbits ? us old boys never hunted bunnies if there wasnt an R in the month ! all you hear is theres no rabbits anymore ,where have all the rabbits

in theory for sport i agree but rabbit is a pest species under the genral licence it doesnt stop eating crop or undermining hedgrows for 6 months of the year so its fair game all year for me ... term

Posted Images

well mate here goes! just kidding though as im old school and wont shoot a rabbit this season or maybe not this year! their numbers are at a shocking low around here and i for one wont shoot any until i think theres enough to pick a couple off

i would do the same thing if if weren't the fact that when the numbers had got up and others noticed it they would go poach you rabbits. so you would have wasted your time waiting.

excellent reply thats what happens
Guest scramble

On most of my permissions the landowners want the rabbits kept under tight control so the get hit all year round, shot,snared and ferreted. i have another permission where i shoot for sport only, i have not shot this ground for a year and a half to let the numbers rise again, was there at the weekend for a walk around and the numbers are looking fantastic. i'll be having some good sport in a few months time. :thumbs:

SCRAMBLE

my main permissions are backing onto a large national trust area so they are continually repopulated but i still leave em untill they are a half decent meal. only had one permission where they wanted rid totally.

Rabbit kits do pop up all year round. But there is definatly a main breeding season in the height of the summer. I have no issue what so ever with numbers being controlled all year round, in places where they cause serious damage. However i find that usually if you hit them hard enough over winter, there are too few survivers to do much damage, however in some places this isnt the case, with rabbits constantly moving in.

What really boild my piss, and its pretty commonly accepted, is that you get folk who harp on about having to shoot them to keep the farmer happy, and keep land etc,and yet you never see them out putting in the hours over winter, they prefer to lie in the sun whacking dumb kits, who will sit on the end of your rifle.

I pretty much never shoot rabbits, it seems a bit of a waste, i prefer to harvest them during winter in as large numbers as time allows.

• Like 2

Rabbit kits do pop up all year round. But there is definatly a main breeding season in the height of the summer. I have no issue what so ever with numbers being controlled all year round, in places where they cause serious damage. However i find that usually if you hit them hard enough over winter, there are too few survivers to do much damage, however in some places this isnt the case, with rabbits constantly moving in.

What really boild my piss, and its pretty commonly accepted, is that you get folk who harp on about having to shoot them to keep the farmer happy, and keep land etc,and yet you never see them out putting in the hours over winter, they prefer to lie in the sun whacking dumb kits, who will sit on the end of your rifle.

I pretty much never shoot rabbits, it seems a bit of a waste, i prefer to harvest them during winter in as large numbers as time allows.

same as the fox thread the other day if the aint causing no harm then theres no reason to bother them :thumbs:

same as the fox thread the other day if the aint causing no harm then theres no reason to bother them :thumbs:

Aye, too true. It's amazing how many folk shoot them in summer, and say they have to to keep the land, and yet shoot feck all, over winter. So their land owners, must be pretty relaxed about it all.

the word sporting is mentioned right through this topic :hmm: How many of you have sporting permission from the landowner? or are you just clearing the rabbits for a tennant which is pest control? there is a big difference :yes:

Y.I.S Leeview

well mate im with you on every point you just made i certainly woudnt brag about shooting kits as like you say you could pick the buggers up -plus there cute lol

There are many reasons for and against, we're all individuals, our circumstances different.

The majority of people here can think for themselves . . .

I won't be doing mutch but fishing and corvid bashing during the summer, however the dog will still try and turn every walk into a hunt :laugh:

I will shoot rabbits during the summer if specifically asked or even if i decide i want too, but I would rather ferret or run them during the winter :thumbs:

Each to there own.

• Like 1

In the last 4 months I've seen 8 rabbits ,were last year we were over run .I went out tonight walked about 4 miles and saw nothing .I don't no whats going on ,but it's starting to worry me. It's not as if I go out at the same time ,I've been out early and late but nothing.

In the last 4 months I've seen 8 rabbits ,were last year we were over run .I went out tonight walked about 4 miles and saw nothing .I don't no whats going on ,but it's starting to worry me. It's not as if I go out at the same time ,I've been out early and late but nothing.

Could be a whole host of things, from disease, ground vermin, winged vermin and just plain old weather/atmospheric conditions. etc

Some days around me I wont see many and then other days they are everywhere. I am sure it is the same most places over.

However if you are never seeing many, then that is not good.

Numbers are generally low, so I leave what I can to preserve my sport, but some places need as much taken as possible, horses for courses really.

I rarely shoot summer rabbits, but some places are breeding most of the year now so if it`s required it gets done.

This is January ,out with The One.

theone004.jpg

It depends on the owner's and the ground some of mine the farmers are happy just to let you ferret it and leave it the rest of the year but others want them killed on sight ,then you get a phone call from folk asking you to remove rabbits from garden etc they usually start in April .Im quite happy to leave them and to keep the ground i always say if your wanting any pest control doing on anything just give me a call

Its a nice idea, so that there are higher stocks of quarry for when you do shoot...

But i wont be participating, my permissions ask me to shoot as many as possible ( horse paddocks mainly ) as they damage the paddocks which could lead to a horse injury.

ATB

Adam

Ditto for me. I don't want to eradicate my source of food, but at the same time, if I don't do what i've said I would, I'll not be allowed to shoot them full stop. I choose to hammer one warren until I know there are only a breeding pair or two left, then move on. Looks good as then they are nervous and rarely seen by the owner, but keeps me in business... shhh I didn't say any of that KILL EM ALL I SAY!!! :hunter:

• Like 2