my borders ate rat poison

my borders ate quite a lot of rat poison ,got him to the vets within 2 hours ,whats his chances ,or will it have a lasting effect ,ie his lungs or anything else thanks carl.

be kidneys,liver and stomach mate, they should be giving him vitamin k to counteract the anti coagulant, i hope all goes well for you and the dog, all poison should be inside bait stations and perferably in the block form so as to minimise accidents.
  • Like 2

Rat and mouse bait blocks are slow acting anti-coagulant: they are not designed to kill immediately and rely on the animal ingesting the bait over a period of time. I've had terriers eat rat bait when I used to do pest control, and I didn't even realise they had done so until a fox bite wouldn't stop bleeding! Yes, I was younger and more ignorant at the time and didn't believe that a dog would be stupid enough to eat rat bait. One lives and learns.

A course of Vitamin K injections, as has already been stated, will sort out the problem. A lurcher I knew, not mine, ate a massive amount of rat bait, and was on Vit K injections for several months afterwards: she is absolutely fine, even though the owner hadn't realised she'd eaten the bait until several weeks afterwards.

Post edited for opening mouth and spouting off without thinking it through properly :icon_redface:

Edited by skycat

The dog won't need a blood transfusion: people shouldn't write posts like this unless they know exactly what they are talking about.

Rat and mouse bait blocks are slow acting anti-coagulant: they are not designed to kill immediately and rely on the animal ingesting the bait over a period of time. I've had terriers eat rat bait when I used to do pest control, and I didn't even realise they had done so until a fox bite wouldn't stop bleeding! Yes, I was younger and more ignorant at the time and didn't believe that a dog would be stupid enough to eat rat bait. One lives and learns.

A course of Vitamin K injections, as has already been stated, will sort out the problem. A lurcher I knew, not mine, ate a massive amount of rat bait, and was on Vit K injections for several months afterwards: she is absolutely fine, even though the owner hadn't realised she'd eaten the bait for until several days afterwards.

Well know it all they vet gave my dog a blood transfusion so going of what my vey did

• Like 1

People shouldn't write posts like this unless they know exactly what they are talking about

Your not alway right skycat even tho you think you are

http://veterinaryeme...com/blood-bank/

http://www.dailymail...wfoundland.html

http://yourownvet.com/?tag=will-my-dog-eat-rat-poison

Read skycat you might learn somthing

• Like 1

I don't always think I'm right at all: or I wouldn't be able to learn something new nearly every day. I am only going on what two vets have said: one was my own vet who treated my terriers many years ago. At the time, I asked whether or not the terrier would need a blood transfusion, and I was told that the dog would have needed to eat practically its own body weight in poison to need a transfusion, and for that to have happened several days before the dog was seen by a vet and severe organ damage to have occurred.

The lurcher,which belonged to someone I knew, had ingested an unknown, but obviously large amount of poison as she was losing weight rapidly and becoming lethargic before he even noticed she was ill! :icon_eek: Even then, his vet never advised blood transfusion, but she was on Vit K for several months afterwards until the blood tests showed that her system was clear of the poison.

I've read those links, and obviously in some very severe cases, blood transfusions are necessary, but I do wonder if a transfusion is a bit of a giant reaction in some cases; a case of taking the most extreme measure to counteract the possible effects of the poison............................ just in case.

I admit I was only talking about the blue rodenticide blocks which destroy Vit K in the body, so I apologise for making a blanket statement without mentioning that there are different types of poison on the market, which need different treatments.........no more than you should have done either :laugh: We're none of us infallible :thumbs:

I don't always think I'm right at all: or I wouldn't be able to learn something new nearly every day. I am only going on what two vets have said: one was my own vet who treated my terriers many years ago. At the time, I asked whether or not the terrier would need a blood transfusion, and I was told that the dog would have needed to eat practically its own body weight in poison to need a transfusion, and for that to have happened several days before the dog was seen by a vet and severe organ damage to have occurred.

The lurcher,which belonged to someone I knew, had ingested an unknown, but obviously large amount of poison as she was losing weight rapidly and becoming lethargic before he even noticed she was ill! :icon_eek: Even then, his vet never advised blood transfusion, but she was on Vit K for several months afterwards until the blood tests showed that her system was clear of the poison.

I've read those links, and obviously in some very severe cases, blood transfusions are necessary, but I do wonder if a transfusion is a bit of a giant reaction in some cases; a case of taking the most extreme measure to counteract the possible effects of the poison............................ just in case.

I admit I was only talking about the blue rodenticide blocks which destroy Vit K in the body, so I apologise for making a blanket statement without mentioning that there are different types of poison on the market, which need different treatments.........no more than you should have done either :laugh: We're none of us infallible :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Skycats post seemed reasonable to me.

In answer to the original post……Treatment will depend on the type of poison if known or blood tests if not, a blood transfusion will be required to replace blood loss through haemorrhaging rather than a blood transfusion in all cases, so will depend on type off and amount of chemical ingested. Different blood products may also be suggested.

Good link here

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/821038-treatment#aw2aab6b6b2

PS Skycat Vit K solution is absorbed very well sublingually, under the tongue, for future ref if any daily injections are suggested

Edited by sandymere

firstly thanks for the replies i picked him up at 5pm ,hed been there since 9am,the vet said he seemed okay and that he thought id took him there early enough so i was happy but still wary.the dog seemed no differant in himself,tail going a hundred to the dozen .he gave me a course of tablets to give him over a period of 2 weeks ,vk1.i have to take him back first thing after weekend,for a blood test,obviously look for signs ,white gums blood in the whites of his eyes ,etc.rest him cause even turning over can(if its the worse case)start him bleeding on the inside.so its a fecking wait im on pins.ill be better prepared if it happens again,and have a bottle of water with pepper in waiting in the barn,but hopefully itll never be used.i work or shoot with him every day,but it goes to show never be complacent.anyway thanks for youre help ill let you all know what happens.you all have a good weekend atb carl