Liars or am I doing something wrong?

Rake aboot you are a pilock i have never said i can do that group at that range i think you may find that that the original post sugested that 22 lr is hopeless after 80yrds or something along those lines, i have never suggested that i can shoot that group, its not something that interests me, but i do know that i can shoot rabbits way past 100yrd consistanly, the post of mine that was in question was trying to convince someone that they would be surprised how well they can shoot with a bit of practice and yes i think those that can can and those that cant cant.

i doubt if i could get a 1" group consistantly at 100yrds, because its not my thing and i would not be interested in trying, as stated.

I think your problem is that you are too much of a play ground bully and just like to try and cause trouble or more likely that you were bullied and you try to get your own back on life by sitting behind your PC acting the Man while your nice and safe at home with mummy cooking your dinner, before you go sneaking off to your bedroom for a quick shake over some internet pawn or chat room. try and grow up a bit and stop being so angry with life, getting on with people is much more rewarding than trying to cause problems. xxx

:icon_eek: round and round it goes :laugh:

Strangely i find that i must agree small minds stop these threads developing to something useful.

Neil well done on that long shot that is way past my best fluke or not.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me you speak the most sense on this thread Paul. Thanks to the ignore facility, I'm missing the worst of it lol!

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the toleran

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least

I have done exactly what the fella with the range finder did from 20 meters out to 180 and stuck the results to my range finder only I only use them out to 100 because past 90 really is pot shots for me. And as for 180 meters the drop was such alot I ran out of mill dots so was completely guess work so I sacked it. The problem I think is most definitely the rounds, let's face it they're cheap and nasty how ever much you pay for them. Some of the cheapest rounds are infact made buy a company who make the most expensive just a different label and price baby!

By the way I ran out of mil dots at 180 only as I did it at a 50 meter zero, and before I get blasted with the killing capabilities I no it'd kill beyond 180 easy IF YOU COULD HIT IT.

Without banging on to much my personal opinion is grouping 5 rounds constantly at 100 meters in a 2 to 3 inch group cannot be done therefore killing at a 100 plus is more luck than judgment. That's not attacking anyone or capabilities but I continue to hear it and never have seen it. Going to meet up with someone I met in here and compare notes and maybe learn a thing or two.

Ps I use eley benchrest golds and standard hollow point eley subs and still reckon the 2 to 3" group at one hundred meters is a myth. Don't forget leamanneil@yahoo.co.uk for your free pint from me if you send me a genuine 2to3" group vid at 100 meters outside.

I have done exactly what the fella with the range finder did from 20 meters out to 180 and stuck the results to my range finder only I only use them out to 100 because past 90 really is pot shots for me. And as for 180 meters the drop was such alot I ran out of mill dots so was completely guess work so I sacked it. The problem I think is most definitely the rounds, let's face it they're cheap and nasty how ever much you pay for them. Some of the cheapest rounds are infact made buy a company who make the most expensive just a different label and price baby!

By the way I ran out of mil dots at 180 only as I did it at a 50 meter zero, and before I get blasted with the killing capabilities I no it'd kill beyond 180 easy IF YOU COULD HIT IT.

Without banging on to much my personal opinion is grouping 5 rounds constantly at 100 meters in a 2 to 3 inch group cannot be done therefore killing at a 100 plus is more luck than judgment. That's not attacking anyone or capabilities but I continue to hear it and never have seen it. Going to meet up with someone I met in here and compare notes and maybe learn a thing or two.

Ps I use eley benchrest golds and standard hollow point eley subs and still reckon the 2 to 3" group at one hundred meters is a myth. Don't forget leamanneil@yahoo.co.uk for your free pint from me if you send me a genuine 2to3" group vid at 100 meters outside.

I can say it not I am a target shooter I know in comps I us a heavy barrel but I still group within a inch I do get the odd flyer. I also use my hunting rifle on the same range prone with no rest and I normally group with in 2 inches with the odd flyer. most of what people are saying is the set up of the gun with ammo is I use remmington I can not group 3 inches at 100 yards I zero my rifle at 75 yards and shot out to about 150. if you want to know more about why your rifles do what they do you need to look at reloading topics I know you can not reload .22 but the science is the same. bullet weight, spin rate, barrel twist, quick burn slow burn. all this has an affect. although if you group within 1 inch at 80 yards you should be grouping at 2 inches at 100 yards. one thing lots of people over look is the pulling of the trigger and shoulder placement of the stock. just my 2 pence worth.

Sorry I forgot to say look at what you place your guns on if you sight your guns on a hard surface or a soft surface as the biggest mistake people make is changing the surface they shot on especially at long distance how many of you shoot a rabbit a 30 yards free hand a rabbit at 50 yards kneeling and a rabbit at 100yards off the side of a tree or on sticks all this will change the point of impact by loads but at a short range this is not so noticeable try it 40 yards a rifle can shoot inside a 10 pence piece now change the surface or hold the gun tight or lose and watch the group change.

I can say it not I am a target shooter I know in comps I us a heavy barrel but I still group within a inch I do get the odd flyer. I also use my hunting rifle on the same range prone with no rest and I normally group with in 2 inches with the odd flyer. most of what people are saying is the set up of the gun with ammo is I use remmington I can not group 3 inches at 100 yards I zero my rifle at 75 yards and shot out to about 150. if you want to know more about why your rifles do what they do you need to look at reloading topics I know you can not reload .22 but the science is the same. bullet weight, spin rate, barrel twist, quick burn slow burn. all this has an affect. although if you group within 1 inch at 80 yards you should be grouping at 2 inches at 100 yards. one thing lots of people over look is the pulling of the trigger and shoulder placement of the stock. just my 2 pence worth.

i have a question if spin drift is relative to barrel twist, distance, size and speed of a bullet when will it come into play with a .22lr round if at all.

right the good news is i found my camrea charger lead so i can film a u tube video of my FIRST 100y attempt shortly.

the bad new is 500 eley subs are now £49!!!! :cray: somthig about the lead price going up. nice gun dealer tho as he threw in a box of old cci velocitors to hold back the tears. thanks to the dealer in sheffield near hillsbourough. browns lock stock and barrel. nice guy and nice little shop.

the other good newsi'm in love! no not really, but the gun dealer has talked me into a nice .22-250 mannlicher with an oh so amazing trigger which you have to push forward for the hair trigger setting SWEET.

and a hmr is also certainly required if one of his customer can hit rabbit eyes at 200y with the hmr.

now i just have to sell a kidney to some doddgy southern bloke who speaks albanian. :blink:

with regard to the grouping thing. I THOUGH YOU JUST AIM FOR 1 SPOT FOR 5 SHOTS AND THEN MEASURE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO WIDEST SHOTS OF THAT 5 SHOT GROUP??!! IF THE 5 SHOTS ARE 'OFF TARGET' YOU THEN FIND THE CENTRE OF THE GROUP AND AJUST YOUR SCOPE SO THE CENTRE OF THE GROUP STRIKES THE SPOT YOU ORIGINALLY AIMED AT??!!

Edited by riflehunter583

this is a good question on a set distance on a open field the wind coming from left to right with a bullet spinning clock wise with a wind of about 10 mph it will come into play within a few meters of leaving the rifle but this is not really going to make any difference to some one shooting rabbits at 50 yards at 25 meters it will be about 1/2 a bullet off centre and at 50 meters just over a bullet at a hundred meters about inch and a half. if the wind is right to left with a bullet spinning clock wise the bullet will only be about half the measurements I have given this is on my guns set up as bullet weight and spin rate is probably different to many other guns what makes a lot of difference is how people hold there guns at different ranges closer shots are more relaxed at longer rangers people try to hold the gun tighter as the movement in the scope is more pronounced if people took the mag down on the scope this would help most people shoot better. I will upload a target I shoot at fifty yards you will see I shot nine bulls and the last shot I done i pushed my shoulder into the stock a little harder then on the other 9 shots nothing else changed that I was aware of this is all on open sights no scope.

Yes rich the cross wind has quite a pronounced affect on the elevation, and the stronger the wind the greater the affect. On the ranges we notice a bigger difference with the fast but lighter .223, than we do with the slower but heavier .308.

It is one of the biggest unexplained mysterys in elevation, if you are not aware of it.

Yes rich the cross wind has quite a pronounced affect on the elevation, and the stronger the wind the greater the affect. On the ranges we notice a bigger difference with the fast but lighter .223, than we do with the slower but heavier .308.

It is one of the biggest unexplained mysterys in elevation, if you are not aware of it.

so what would you estimate the effect to be on say the 22lr elevation in a full value 7-10mph wind at say 100yrd and lets say the rifle was already zero`d to that range?

I was taught that a tail and head wind will never have a value so they are 0 value but in practice i have found that with .22 the head wind tends to pick the bullet up slightly and the tail wind seems to drop them down a bit, have you encountered that

right the good news is i found my camrea charger lead so i can film a u tube video of my FIRST 100y attempt shortly.

the bad new is 500 eley subs are now £49!!!! :cray: somthig about the lead price going up. nice gun dealer tho as he threw in a box of old cci velocitors to hold back the tears. thanks to the dealer in sheffield near hillsbourough. browns lock stock and barrel. nice guy and nice little shop.

the other good newsi'm in love! no not really, but the gun dealer has talked me into a nice .22-250 mannlicher with an oh so amazing trigger which you have to push forward for the hair trigger setting SWEET.

and a hmr is also certainly required if one of his customer can hit rabbit eyes at 200y with the hmr.

now i just have to sell a kidney to some doddgy southern bloke who speaks albanian. :blink:

with regard to the grouping thing. I THOUGH YOU JUST AIM FOR 1 SPOT FOR 5 SHOTS AND THEN MEASURE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO WIDEST SHOTS OF THAT 5 SHOT GROUP??!! IF THE 5 SHOTS ARE 'OFF TARGET' YOU THEN FIND THE CENTRE OF THE GROUP AND AJUST YOUR SCOPE SO THE CENTRE OF THE GROUP STRIKES THE SPOT YOU ORIGINALLY AIMED AT??!!

that is right

so what would you estimate the effect to be on say the 22lr elevation in a full value 7-10mph wind at say 100yrd and lets say the rifle was already zero`d to that range?

I was taught that a tail and head wind will never have a value so they are 0 value but in practice i have found that with .22 the head wind tends to pick the bullet up slightly and the tail wind seems to drop them down a bit, have you encountered that

As to the affect of the cross wind you would have to experiment, as I know from experience that two identical rifles and ammunition will behave slightly differently, but at 100y it will be marginal, at those speeds and you wouldnt be shooting the .22 in very strong wind speeds at that range.

As to the head wind, tail wind situation, you are right that a head wind can raise the POI, but the reverse is also true, it just depends upon the angle of the shot. i.e. if you are shooting downhill into a head wind then the wind is likely to push the bullet low, because of the angle that the wind is now hitting the trajectory. On the other hand a head wind is also causing more resistance and slowing the bullet down a little, again causing the bullet to drop quicker. But oppositly you may try throwing a ball of paper into a head wind and you could find it goes high!

There are so many variables, and again shooting on the range, where it is flat, bears no resemblance to what happens in the hills of northern England, or anywhere else for that matter.

Where possible I train for every eventuallity, but I train with a purpose, and if I know I will be ambushing a vixen returning to its rock den, on a down hill shot, I will try during the day in another location to try and replicate that shot. Sad as it may sound, with unusual shots like that I then record that data for future use.

I know it not on subject but I just seen the bit 177 for rabbit I use this round over 22 any day as I just can not get on with the trajectory of the 22 pellet and i find it better as a all rounder like on pigeon as it seems to penetrate the feather better I only head shoot everything and I do not rely on the shock power to drop my quarry you can slate me if you like but this is what i like to use and take rabbit at 50 yards often with my best at 68 yards stone dead. Horses for courses

I know it not on subject but I just seen the bit 177 for rabbit I use this round over 22 any day as I just can not get on with the trajectory of the 22 pellet and i find it better as a all rounder like on pigeon as it seems to penetrate the feather better I only head shoot everything and I do not rely on the shock power to drop my quarry you can slate me if you like but this is what i like to use and take rabbit at 50 yards often with my best at 68 yards stone dead. Horses for courses

i think it personal pref on that i have never used it always 22 but i grew up being told that 177 was not the correct way to go because of the through and through shot, so when i had an air rifle it was always 22 for hunting and 177 for plinking in the garden.