Liars or am I doing something wrong?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me you speak the most sense on this thread Paul. Thanks to the ignore facility, I'm missing the worst of it lol!

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the toleran

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least

Those that can should, those that cant shouldnt and those that just take pleasure in trying to just anoying those that can should get a life!.

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least :thumbs:
  • Like 2

Those that can should, those that cant shouldnt and those that just take pleasure in trying to just anoying those that can should get a life!.

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least :thumbs:

I dont think iam a boaster ol chap but hey as the other guy said there is alot of talkers on here that dont manage to get out of the chair or in some cases may not even own a gun you dont know me and i dont know you, but i have a real feeling that your would like to think you can do it better and maybe you can but i have my doubts because i know how darn good i am !!!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the decent people on here shoot their wares after some offers on here. It would be interesting to shoot their guns and see if there's a kit difference that makes the difference of a long range .22 group - maybe some barrels are tighter than others, or a key tolerance somewhere else?

I'm a very competent shot, nothing more or less, and if its not a kit difference, then I'd like to learn from someone who can extract more form the .22lr than I can. Maybe I've just had bad examples of rimfires?

It will be nice to see and take the empirical view.

Cheers

D.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the decent people on here shoot their wares after some offers on here. It would be interesting to shoot their guns and see if there's a kit difference that make the difference of a long range .22 group - maybe some barrels are tighter than others, or a key tolerance somewhere else?

I'm a very competent shot, nothing more or less, and if its not a kit difference, then I'd like to learn from someone who can extract more form the .22lr than I can. Maybe I've just had bad examples of rimfires?

Cheers

D.

I believe my offer of an outing was deleted after the site went down, however...

I'll post a video in the next few weeks of me shooting at 100 metres with my mates .22lr CZ. I believe he has both CCI subs and Remington subs (so not the best by mosts standards).

I'll shoot a number of 5 round groups, and the video will be unedited to show I'm not sneaking up and pushing a pencil into the target.

The video will be taken by an iPhone but if I can't upload it I'll gladly send it by mobile (pm).

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the decent people on here shoot their wares after some offers on here. It would be interesting to shoot their guns and see if there's a kit difference that make the difference of a long range .22 group - maybe some barrels are tighter than others, or a key tolerance somewhere else?

Cheers

D.

I believe my offer of an outing was deleted after the site went down, however...

I'll post a video in the next few weeks of me shooting at 100 metres with my mates .22lr CZ. I believe he has both CCI subs and Remington subs (so not the best by mosts standards).

I'll shoot a number of 5 round groups, and the video will be unedited to show I'm not sneaking up and pushing a pencil into the target.

The video will be taken by an iPhone but if I can't upload it I'll gladly send it by mobile (pm).

I appreciate your efforts - as said I'm looking forward to trying someones rig who can get very tight groups at 100 yards too. See if some rigs are just more inherently accurate than others and hopefully find out why.

ATB

D.

Cheers

D.

I appreciate your efforts - as said I'm looking forward to trying someones rig who can get very tight groups at 100 yards too. See if some rigs are just more inherently accurate than others and hopefully find out why.

ATB

D.

I believe that generally speaking, there are some rifles that seem more accurate 'Out of the box'... I'm unsure of the barrel length etc but I'll go through that on the video.

It's a bog standard CZ, nothing special. Plus it's left handed which I'm not. Also it's brand new and probably had less than 100 rounds through it, so I doubt it's as accurate as it will be when the barrel's shot in.

At this point, I'll say that anyone doing it consistently is reliant on a good batch of ammo, you can be the best shot but it makes no difference if you have strays everywhere.

Personally, I don't shoot at animals with a .22 at 100 metres regularly, but the fact is that a 1 inch group can be achieved at 100 yards.

My mate (who's a novice), didn't believe I'd hit it at 100 metres, so when I got a 10 round 1 1/4 inch group I think he's convinced I'm Jason Bourne :D

Give me a 'bad' batch and I probably won't repeat it.

I wasnt sure that , that posting actualy got read as it seemed to disapear when the site went down, its not your opinon that causes the problems its the way you act like a school boy and join in on the side of the bullies as soon as they arrive, i didnt put up with it at school and i am not going to now, so if you act like a cock expect to get called it mate.

I shoot a CZ shiloutte that is bog standard apart from i had the trigger played with when new but to be honest it didnt seem to make any difference just a bit of a waste of money!!.

I dont profess to shot tight groups with it at any distance, but i have confidence in my equipment an i know that a miss is down to me and not the rifle, i dont seem to have as much proplem with ammo as others do i very rarely get a round thats not the same as the one before. my CZ is a tool that i have to use a lot i keep every thing on it cheap because it gets a hard life. i dont think twice about shooting 100 yrds plus as round here we have some wide open ground and its about numbers in vermin control not spending 40 mins stalking a single rabbit, I dont need the practice in my field craft as i was taught it by the very best, i need to get enough rabbits to keep the farmers happy and get a return from the game dealer. on the other hand when out on foxes i wont take a long shot with the 223, 300yrds is my absolute max but fortunately most i shot seem to be around the 150 to 200 mark.

my invite is open to any of the doubters even you Duncan and i bet if you came i could help you gain your confidence at the longer range targets, if i can do it anyone can.

Interesting to hear the different opinions on this rather contentious subject. Several thoughts come to mind. First, are people relying on three rounds to confirm groups? As I am sure most are aware, three rounds are the absolute minimum required for a basic group, five rounds gives a better (but larger) idea of grouping and ten is better still. Most folks use three because it usually gives them the smallest group. The second thought is the type of stock on the musket and its fit. On my CZ the stock flexed like a fishing rod depending on where exactly I held the thing. Even at such short ranges this has a hugely detrimental affect on MPI. If you don’t believe me, hang three or four washers on your muzzle and fire three grouping rounds. Remove the washers and fire another three to the same point of aim.

A good stock is essential for accurate shooting no matter what range you intend to fire at and I suspect that what some folks are having problems with, assuming of course that their technique is OK, is a flexing stock.

For those that question the humble .22lr, in the right hands it is capable of good consistent groups out to approximately 100m, depending on the condition of the rifle, the ammo and of course the nut behind the butt. It is extensively used for training with some organisations as a short range snipers rifle precisely because it is so susceptible to windage and has a trajectory like the old 25 pounder.

The last thing to mention is practice. If you only put a couple of hundred through the rifle each year do not expect to be good. With the .22 I will often put five hundred through in a days training, and I train at least once a week, often more: and if you think that is spendy, try firing a a hundred or so .338LM a week, that's when the long haired CO starts to kick up!

After reading all that im not sure i want to tell of my shot last night! :laugh:

Ive been up to one farm quite a bit recently catching moles and metal detecting mostly but i saw the farmer and he asked me to shoot a few rabbits as the numbers were getting up. So i goes up last night with my rimmy (cz style) and was on fire, one of those nights that i just couldnt miss (which are few and far between for me) :icon_redface:

Anyway after an hour id easily shot 20, probably closer to 30 and im walking along a path and saw to young bunnies at the top of the field. Ow normally i wouldnt have tried as this is a LONG field but i though feck it, lets try. :victory: So i aimed just over the rabbit and pulled the trigger and could plainly see where the bullet hit as the ground was soaking and it splattered, it landed just under the rabbit but dead in line. So i aimed a few inch higher and pulled the trigger and fook me i dropped it stone dead!

I couldnt believe i shot it so decided to try to measure how far away it was. It was exactly 195 long strides away which i worked out to be roughly 150 yards.

So that was easy my best ever shot (well technically 2 shots). Will i do it again - doubt it , but thought id share. I guess there will be plenty doubting and i cant blame them and i cant prove it either. Luckily the rabbit was a young un so it just sat there as the first hit neaar its feet, an older rabbit would have scarpered.