Liars or am I doing something wrong?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me you speak the most sense on this thread Paul. Thanks to the ignore facility, I'm missing the worst of it lol!

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the toleran

and most of all, those that boast the most, normally do the least

Winchester super x subs have always been the most consistant I have used. They will hit out to silly distances but like all subs they will not do it regularly and with consistant accuracy, the tolerances are piss and they come smeared in wax ffs!!!! HV`s are shit,, target ammo will do mucho better but hunting ammo WILL NOT! hahahaha.

It`s like Jackanorry on here some nights,,armchair bullshitters bulding up a life they never had, lol

are you calling me a bullshitter rake aboot?

Nope, Rich is right, but make no mistake, I doubt anyone who says they shoot mahoosive distances with rimmy sub ammo,,accurately and regularly,, so if the hat fits

seems he did mean you too dan !. Nice spelling must be a local phrase.

Just finished reading all the comments in this thread and im astonished how many dissbelieving people are out there, yes 100m is a hard shot with a .22lr but its a do-able, i own a CZ 452 Silhoutte(Bolt)(20 inch) and use winchester Subs. I do pest control for many farms in my area and have my own 40 acre of land also, if you cant hit a bunny at 100m on a lamp or daytime then dont point your gun at it...i truely believe if you put in the time to practice and learn your own breathing tech that works for you , you should be able to kill shot at that distance (Head/Heart-lungs) . I also think we all have good and bad days..the ones where a barn can cross your path at 100m and you wont hit it for shit..dunno why but..we all know it happens..(be it eye strain from the day or just not in the right frame of mind.those times you call it a day and go home..not worth the gut shot you possibly will end up getting if you carry on..contaminated meat is a waste)..then there are days where you see the red reflexion on a rabbit eye under lamp at 100m and you hit the lil fecker pretty much between its eyes....in esscense..Practice, know your rifle..also..spend a lil extra getting a reliable scope of your choice as long as its true. i do think however the comment about...Paper targets dont run... well nore do rabbits with holes in their heads...Practicing on targets is the best way to keeping your eye in....oh yeah no midget here, 6ft 3inches so my stride is pretty much on the nail when it comes to finding distance. So to finish off with answering the question starting this thread..yes its possible..

I don't think anybody is saying it isn't possible because we all know it is, but from my point of view it is the fact that anybody can put a good group down with reasonable skill. A college of mine put down a 1cm group at 400m, with 5 shots from his .308, on a gallery range. Yes it can be done, but he was unable to keep putting down that group size, which then opened up to 4-5cm groups.

There is a big difference in putting a good group down in ideal conditions all of the time, and putting a good group down some of the time in the changing world exterior ballistics, with what in essence is nothing other than a lead slug.

Yes you can whack rabbits at 100, but to put down 1.5 inch groups at 150, time and time again, with a sporting rifle and cheapo slugs, for me is unrealistic. Unless injured rabbits are acceptable.

Tegater, i agree, totally unrealistic 1.5inch groups at 150m constantly with a .22lr and "Slugs"..constantly...no..i dont think anyone can constantly achieve that..but i do believe when shooting game you should know your limits and put all variations/conditions into the picture before you take the shot and at 100m with variations that you are used to, (Being that i go out in all weathers..Vermin control never stops huh) you can make a high percentage of those shots hit where you wanted them to. And as for injured rabbits or any other game, no its not acceptable, nore should it be common place. I enjoy the feeling of one shot ..one kill. I preffer Bolt action rather than semi because of this reason, but that being said..i dont know one hunter that has not missed a shot in their life..anyone says they havent..now thats a tall story. I still believe that the more you practice and get to know your equipment, the more you will pull off a shot that your going for....excluding the "ammo" consistancy...cant blame the shooter for the manufacturing and quality of a round. but over the years i have truely found that Winchester subsonics are the best for my rifle and type of hunting with the .22lr.

So You are 100% right about the constant grouping at those distances of 150m with a .22lr due to the reasons you stated, i must of miss read alot of the other comments and latched onto the.."cant hit a cow with a shovel over 60-80m" type of comments, and felt the need to stick up for one of my beloved rifles and its capabilities,but i think when hunting the single shot is a high percentage do-able shot at 100m with a .22lr . But that is only my opinion and from someone that goes out 2-3 nights/days a week minimum, maybe im just one of the lucky ones who gets alot of time/use with their equipment and real time hunting.

Used a box of eley and couldnt get on with them, not sure if i have the used too factor with the Win subs, but they have won me over in what i do. I get the odd one here and there that didnt want to go where i told it to, but on the whole i have nothing bad to say about them and true the expansion on the Win..nice spread. Punching power on 1 inch pine at 75m is incredible for such a small round. big exit cavity.

i to have found that in my rifle's barrel eley's and winchester subs are the best for consistency and accuracy.

if i had to choose it would be the eleys because my barrel likes them alot and the consistency seems a little better than the winchester super x.

but factory quality control and batches can alter slightly with either brand from time to time.

i think winchesters have a little more stopping power as stated above.

i also agree with the comment about having good days and bad days. i think it depends on things like frame of mind, amount of recent practice and for me personally sleep. had a few poor shooting days this week due to lack of sleep. but last night I got a good night’s sleep which has made a big difference to my hunting results today.

Winchester have always been best for me with the CZ, but still, I would never attempt a 110 yrd + zero due to the lack of consistancy. Long shots are perfectly possible, I have certainly never said otherwise. I have had a few nice long shots, but mega long zero in the hope of consistant tight groups is something I would never bother with due to the inherant issues with wax coated rimfire ammo. And a big pinch off salt taken with claims of long range genius with what is effectively crap ammo.

22lr sub is still carrying over 50 ftlbs of energy at 100 metres, easily done. of course, if you're shooting a semi that are notorious for poor accuracy then don't expect too much, i don't push my buckmark out much past 50 odd yards.

Winchester have always been best for me with the CZ, but still, I would never attempt a 110 yrd + zero due to the lack of consistancy. Long shots are perfectly possible, I have certainly never said otherwise. I have had a few nice long shots, but mega long zero in the hope of consistant tight groups is something I would never bother with due to the inherant issues with wax coated rimfire ammo. And a big pinch off salt taken with claims of long range genius with what is effectively crap ammo.

my zero on my .22lr is 50y rake aboot :yes:

I don`t doubt it, this goes back to earlier threads,with some claiming massive distances for zeroing, And someones just in the huff with me cause I neglect to forget the utter bullshit they posted when they first came on THL.

ATB bud

Rake

I don`t doubt it, this goes back to earlier threads,with some claiming massive distances for zeroing, And someones just in the huff with me cause I neglect to forget the utter bullshit they posted when they first came on THL.

ATB bud

Rake

well belive what you want you sound like a very anrgy man. my zero has always been 50 yards becuase you could not figure it out from my threads heres my ammo trajectory which has taken me months to perfect.

Y Mill Y Mill 10 -2.23 105 -2.7 15 -0.74 110 -3 20 -0.1 115 -3.3 25 0.19 120 -3.7 30 0.3 125 -4 35 0.31 130 -4.3 40 0.25 135 -4.6 45 0.14 140 -5 50 0 145 -5.4 55 -0.17 150 -5.75 60 -0.36 155 -6.1 65 -0.57 160 -6.4 70 -0.8 165 -6.8 75 -1.03 170 -7.1 80-1.29 175 -7.5 85 -1.55 180 7.9 90 -1.82 185 -8.2 95 -2.11 190 -8.5 100 -2.4 195 -8.8 200 -9.1

just becuse your kit cannot do it and you cannot shot like me does not mean i cannot do it.

today i managed a 1.1 inch groups at 125y with 3 shots off a cheap bn q table with tripod.

shot a 102 y magpie with my .22lr 2 days ago (INSTANT KILL WITH FIRST SHOT) and a 115y pigeon with my fac airgun yesterday.

both were hit centre mass with the first shot in a little wind left ti right.

today i hit my plastic magpie target at the other side of the field every time. TIME AFTER TIME after time at 145y with my airgun and every time with my .22lr at 125y.

i don't expect you to believe me, i'm not bothered either way now. i know i can do it the more you dibelive the more i feel good about my shooting.

atb