Ive just put my whippet on a raw meat diet and nothing else ie no biscuits or anything and i was wondering why ive heard of people putting supplements in it? She is getting different meat daily like chicken one day then tripe, heart, lamb and beef when the shop next get some in.

Imo there is a change for the better already as this bitch will never condition usually but looks good so far but only time will tell.

Any advice?

Cheers, Rob

Guest reload

Gnipper, it all depend on what you wanna do, some people feed 100% raw flesh and bone, personally i feed3/4 flesh,bone and 1/4 plain biscuit(laughing dog)some greenleaf veg and supplements such as a high quality Kelp Seaweed or a product called Keepers Mix always give Garlic tablets to prevent infection and parasites, the powder garlic and pearls are not worth bothering with IMHO as the quality is very poor. Supplementation can vary as to age of dog and what you are doing with the dog.

But one thing which is for sure is that fresh is superior to any dry complete :D

Im getting some bones for her this weekend, Is there not enough green stuff in the tripe? I have minced and big chunks and it feckin stinks.

The problem with this dog though is if i give it biscuit mixed with the meat it will pick the meat out and leave the rest even if its hungry and i reckon it'll do the same if i put veg or summat in. Ill see how i get on but if i was to not add greens or there was something lacking then what would be the symptoms?

Cheers

Guest reload

gnipper dont panic mate, it will be fine.

Tripe if its green is a good source of vitamins and the greens are not 100%essential. If you wanna try a biscuit soak it well and mix right into the meat. the other way if she leaves biscuit is save until next day and add a raw egg :)

I don't feed biscuit at all but feed a lot of raw bones with the raw meat, and I do feed green stuff. If I don't, they graze a lot and get it that way. So IMO if you give them plenty of access to grass etc and time to graze it, they should be okay.

Why mince their food? They've got F***ing great teeth. :11:

Guest baldie

I feed raw minced chicken, beef, lamb, and tripe, usually put chum mixer to it, for biscuit. Pointless feeding complete with meat, because you have instantly ruined the complete, by feeding it with meat, and you are overdosing on certain elements too.I have liqidised veg, and they eat it readily, but seem unable to absorb it, as it gets shit out, looking not a lot different, if you want a supplement, keepers mix etc is very good, and easier than pissing around with veg, and more readily absorbed. Mine are going on bones as well this week, as the pup is showing signs of tartar on his back teeth, the vet pointed it out, when he was having his booster[ i was so feckin ashamed] she said clean them with a brush :D a good bone will do the job better methinks.

gnipper dont panic mate, it will be fine.

Tripe if its green is a good source of vitamins and the greens are not 100%essential. If you wanna try a biscuit soak it well and mix  right into the meat. the other way if she leaves biscuit is save until next day and add a raw egg :)

or a dab of natural yoghurt on the biscuits goes down well

grated cheese may work too, i worm my dogs with tabs in cheese, it doesnt even hit the sides

gnipper i am thinking of getting a whippet soon for rabbits how do they do whith working other stuff like fox and hare as it should see a good amount of these the bull x will handle the fox but do you think the whippet will join in

It will have a go but is not the tool for the job, if you get a mad one like mine it will piss your terriers off if you have em coz it'll be jumping over them and catching the rat their after :D, will run hares and keep going and just be a general pain in the arse :rolleyes:

Guest reload

Leveller the bill's in the post mate, yer dog get's fruity after too much tripe, now that aint never right :D :D

Cheers gnipper for the offer of a swap mate but there too many whippets there for my liking already :D :11: :D

Hiya mate,

Glad to see you've finally gone ahead and changed to raw :good::clapper:

Don't worry about things so much matey, I know its easily done but think about it this way. When did you last worry whether your ferrets were getting enough minerals, vitamins, or whatnot?

You don't - you just do what's best and chuck them a mix of raw food/prey. Do the same for your dogs and you'll be laughing mate. I know she's a fussy bitch and then some, but stick with it. Just imagine a prey animal and feed her like that (that is - bone with meat, some offal, tripe, heart etc in about the same amounts over time as you'd find in a rabbit say).

I'm still waiting on that bloody meat supplier for some more chicken backs - they've had a rush on apparently - they're gonna ring me next time they have a few cases. Actually I'll ring THEM - lazy sods probably just couldn't be arsed lol

BTW mate I'm looking for a decent CO2 or other silent air rifle for me birthday - got some permish in Formby and it's lifting mate. Gonna shoot some off when we've finished ferreting and coursing the buggers :hunter: Any ideas on a decent rabbit dropper for around £100 - second hand would be fine.

Cheers,

Lee