Harris hawk training

Jarrod

I have been reading up a lot of ways of feeding training a harris hawk bit what dose work best ?

Have the hh flying to the glove and throwing a bit of food on the floor ? Or have the hh flying to the glove and feeding from the glove ?

My goal is to have my hh hunting F/F but want her flying back to me and seeing me as a (pack buddy ) so she wants to come back to me i get her in july and want to kmow as many ways and the ones that have been tryed and tested that work

How do you do it ?

Get it hunting soon as possible mate, they get bored quickly on creane line, so once it coming back get it flying free on young gamer asap, always had mine come to the glove, but dont reward everytime, first few times out stick to one kill and let bird feed up on itthey see , the value in hunting then and give it there all, if lacking a kill still give a decemt reward for final return to glove, best of luck

Yep get them free sooner rather than later. Get them used to the ferrets and get them entered asap. As above let them feed up on first few kills, they will learn to keep hold of prey as well if left to a little struggle. Also if feeding on the glove to feed up I always pass the food from behind the birds tail and up to the glove keeping it covered by the hand and up to the back of the glove near the birds feet. If you pass it in front of the bird you will have a footy bird that strikes out!!!

With using ferrets you can normally garentee you bird will get your a slip and get entered.

All the best

Lee

As u say get it hunting as soon as its comeing back so u mean if she is comeing to me or a few days from like 40 yard then let her off ? And how would i train her to hunt fast ? Just take her to a game filled land ? Thanks for the advise takeing in as much as am given

Hi I have found that once the bird is coming back you normally find it is on it way to you before you can get away from it.

Get it following on glove with and with out tit bit so it can associate the glove not just as food area but a good place to land or just sit with you. Get them introduced to game and lots and lots of it that is why I recommend the ferrets. You can only kick up so much and the young and stupid easy catches soon learn to run and hide. This is when the ferrets come into there own as serving up game to your bird. As I said let them have a few struggles if the rabbit runs off so what, the bird will learn keep hold or loose it. Also that they can get back up and chase again it all comes with time let them have a feed up on the first few catches so they know it as a reward. I use a large piece of leather to cover the prey when removing the from the bird, cover ithe prey completely and place a small tit bit way from it so the bird has to jump off the kill to get it.also a carrier bag folded up over your hand and arm grab prey with this by legs and pull straight over it as this hides from the bird straight away. Remember to put food from behind bird to glove if it is sitting on it this defenatly helps to stop it being footy when feeding it up and putting equipment back on. If the bird is coming to you then off with the creance and let the fun being. I have an area near me that is an old railway line with an nice stretch of trees both sides with the canopy touching this acts a bit like a tunnel and is fantastic for getting the bird following on from tree to tree.

All the best Lee

Hi looking at you other post when training feed to bird away from the house so it does not associate you coming to get is as food on it's way or it may call every time it see you ie screaming bird try training jumps and all that away from the house.

All the best and good luck

Lee try to see if there are any clubs near you for mentor and advice.

I think it would be good for you to get out with others in the game, the bird needs to know that the ferrets are not prey by association. The ferrets are worth their weight in gold but are another thing to lean about. Housing and hunting etc. But once they become a team the bird will see the ferret as a hunting companion, When out we hold the ferrets up in the air to show the birds we are about to put them down the hole so the birds can ready themselfs. It is difficult to say it all online. If you were closer !!

It all comes with time invested in the bird.

Regards

Lee

I feed my ferrets by playing a certain song on my mobile! They always know food is there so when they're underground I can play it and out they scurry :)

an old man once told me that every time he fed his ferrets he used to shake a bunch of old keys [bANNED TEXT] he gave them the food and [bANNED TEXT] they were eating it and if wile he was out a ferret wouldnt come out of a set he would shake the keys at a hole and out it would come.never tryed it my self tho ;)

an old man once told me that every time he fed his ferrets he used to shake a bunch of old keys [bANNED TEXT] he gave them the food and [bANNED TEXT] they were eating it and if wile he was out a ferret wouldnt come out of a set he would shake the keys at a hole and out it would come.never tryed it my self tho ;)

:clapper::thumbs: Had the same thing said to me a good few years ago and did the same with the first set of kits I had, I couldn't say it worked 100% everytime when they had killed but I'm confident it worked for me other times.

a guy told me he brought some Kits on in a simular way but used his MK3 Finder each time to start bleeping each feed, sounded a strange way of doing it but I'm sure they have a association with things and noises at feeding time, what better than when they hear the finder bleeping to get them moving if it works :thumbs:

I just tut tut tut when feeding and tut tut tut when they come out of the holes to reasure them it's me. I my not sure if the are on the hunt or killing it makes much difference. I always use the collars and locator when out.

I have trained harris both ways to eat on fist and to throw food from out once the bird is just sitting on the fist. My male that I hae used this method of throwing food for him when he is sitting on the fist using me as a prech to hunt from has on numerous occasions flew with the food back to my fist to eat it. This method however was only done once I had him eating off the glove in the normal manner of presenting glove and then providing food on a variable schedule once happy on the glove I started throwing food out for him

So i am best to get a ferret for my hawk to hunt with and how much would a tracker set me back for a ferret and how much do ferrets cost ? Am also looking for a traker for a female harris hawk

And thanks agean for advise so u fed him on fost when he was feeding on the fist good u threw bits on the floor so he sees ur fist as a hunting perch