Same as really,how long has she been sat hard on a empty nest? as if it's been a while i'd pull the nest down and her rebuilding might trigger the egg laying bit off for her.I rang my redpoll chicks today,well two of 4 as 2 were to big to ring and have to say the ringing bit has got to be the worse bit of keeping birds,hated every stressed out minuet of it and not sure if i can cope with that and am having a serious think about carrying on any more.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done what I set out to do, goldie mules, finally. My gloster that bred me my first linnet mule has produced my first goldie mule too. My little red hen I bred last year is on a clutch of them t

First siskin mules Agates bred from these

There's 3 chicks so far

Same as really,how long has she been sat hard on a empty nest? as if it's been a while i'd pull the nest down and her rebuilding might trigger the egg laying bit off for her.I rang my redpoll chicks today,well two of 4 as 2 were to big to ring and have to say the ringing bit has got to be the worse bit of keeping birds,hated every stressed out minuet of it and not sure if i can cope with that and am having a serious think about carrying on any more.

fireman one does not need to ring , the birds can be given but not sold or shown with out rings , do not become down hearted i have blind friend with the birds and he still gains great pleasure from the hobby . atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

You'll get the hang of it mate, I've only done a few and found it fiddly but not hard. Have a practice on some canaries or bigger mules with the bigger rings.

• Like 1

been sitiing tight for nearly a week mate.

Waiting on 5 Irish fancy eggs and 5 linnet mule eggs now. The goldie is in with a hen who's built up so hopefully he fills eggs this time, when she's layed he's going in with an Irish hen whos chicks have fledged and then if she lays everything spare is going in my aviary with the goldies (no canary cocks) in a last ditch attempt at goldie mules.

been sitiing tight for nearly a week mate.

Take the nest pan out for 3 or 4 days then replace it, she should then start laying again....

With regard to ringing your redpolls, they are probably the hardest natives to ring but in my opinion if you breed any natives be sure to ring them & keep breeding records, ie ring numbers of the parents, date they hatched, date they jumped the nest, ring numbers etc etc.

I agree the law in the uk does not require you ring your birds and you can not sell them or exhibit them if they are unrung but if you got a knock on the door and you had unrung natives and no breeding records it'd be difficult to explain them.

I dont know the law thoroughly but I have heard some horror stories about birdmen who have not rung genuine aviary bred birds.

The relevant authorities have this law on their side '' Burden of Proof'' it basically means you have to prove that the birds were aviary bred and without rings & breeding records this can cause problems.....

You are right Meroman and i do have all breeding records and any unrung birds i have the rung parents so if in the event i can dna proove all my birds are 1000% legal and aviary bred,have heard some horror stories myself and even birds dieing and being released before court cases ect have been heard.The redpolls i rung are doing all fine and i do admit to being a mincer with the ringing :icon_redface: but by god that was a stress out and i hope your right that it gets easier,but it was good to see both parents feeding them straight afterwards and no bother with them being chucked out the nest.

Sparrowhawk was back again today and just stood on the aviary roof and stared(like only spars do) as i banged like a man posessed on my window :censored: ,going to have to try the owl decoy on the roof to put if off but knowing my luck it'll bring in every rook, crow and magpie in the fecking county in instead. :laugh:

• Like 1

Some people hang cd's around their flights to deter sparrowhawks :huh: Never tried it myself but some swear by it :thumbs:

tried the CD disks on my release pens and they didnt help one bit...

how about strands of fishing line or even a slightly suspended sheet of netting?

Some people hang cd's around their flights to deter sparrowhawks :huh: Never tried it myself but some swear by it :thumbs:

tried the CD disks on my release pens and they didnt help one bit...

:yes: Ordered a 8 x 6 shed and same size flight for my garden :victory:

• Like 1

Some of this years young so far.

My lads first ever chicks,Lesser redpolls.

Picture1234.jpg

Picture1233.jpg

One of them a few weeks later

Picture1241.jpg

His second nest full(4 chicks)

Picture1240.jpg

Picture1233.jpg

One of his goldie x irish mules

Picture1238.jpg

and another

Picture1245.jpg

my greenie mule(and not the best pic)