lamping

lamping on foot with an iar riffle is very hard , as a standing shot to the head of a rabbit at 30 yard is very hard.

if your on foot use a long hazel walking stick or two tied together like stalkers use.

but the best thing is just drive round in a vehicle and shoot out the window

dont do any lamping with airguns much no more but before i got into dogs i did a great deal and had some good bags,alot can do with the land you are lamping,if they lamped on a regular basis they not going to keep still for a shot,with todays airrifles being much lighter than the old wh 80s i used to use i have been out with a freind who has a rapid 17 and with the help of a red filter i have seen him shoot plenty of bunnys,if you know your ground well walk around to the area they are going to run to we use his method when lamping with dogs and we find if you place yourself in the area you know the rabbits want to get to so they have to run towards you they tend to squat and hope you walk over them,my mate uses my shoulder if it a 40 yard shot although i would prefer him to use a stick as i not allowed to breathe when he about to shoot,if still no luck get a lurcher it much more fun but each to there own ;)

Guest little_lloyd

In the late winter its all we used to do :D

Dont go out in the moonlight as you will stand out, Shine the lamp at em once they squat go for a decent head shot. If they beging to run a bit flash the lamp around and at them (this normaly gets them to stop again) And remember before you shoot make sure its a rabbit not someones pet cat your aiming at.

Also in the current shooting times magizine there is a free airgunning mag which has a good read on lamping with air rifles. Got to get it before tommorows issue tho :)

Edited by little_lloyd
nobodys mentioned filters, use a decent red filter and u can get close enough to hit em with the friggin gun,

ive lamped with air rifles for years,

with the help of a red filter i have seen him shoot plenty of bunnys

missed that bit but like you said you can walk right up to a rabbit with the help of a red fillter if the wind is right ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Tim; I'd always advise going out around noon, of a clear sunny day. Ye'll find the beam throws a hell of a lot further, mate. It also makes it easier when negotiating hedges and ditches too :yes:

THE OBVIOUS ADVICE MOST PEOPLE WILL GIVE IS USE THE WIND(IF ANY) AND CHECK THE MOON TABLE BEFORE YOU GO OUT,,IF YOUR A LITTLE HEAVY FOOTED OR YOU FEEL THAT YOU CANT GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO YOUR QUARRY FIND A SPOT THAT YOU KNOW THERE ARE RABBITS AND SIT QUIET FOR A WHILE FLICKING THE LAMP ON EVERY COUPLE OF MINS TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAS POPPED OUT..STILL USING THE WIND AND COVER YOU CAN CHANGE POSITION WHEN YOU WANT TO,IVE HAD SOME GOOD BAGS IN THE PAST DOING THIS,I FOUND IT GOOD A LAST LIGHT ASWELL WHEN THERES JUST ENOUGH LIGHT TO TAKE A SHOT WITHOUT THE LAMP,,

GOOD LUCK

SCOTTY

well its just the case of me and my mate, get to a fence have a scan with the lamp, then enter the feild, and walk very slowly to the rabbits, and as we get in range wip the lamp back on and they either already gone, or they run like hell [bANNED TEXT] the lamp comes on ! ! !, can any one recomend one of those scope mounted lamps ??? cheers

your spooking them . maybe lampshy .

what candle power lamp you using , it may be overpowering them ,

i use the deben tracer max with a red filter mounted on the scope . i really rate filters , if you cant buy one make one .

as already been said , wind direction is key , so are you noise wise and smell .

how many times are you lamping the same piece of land ???.