Hawke Varmint 3-12x44 sf Question

Hello chaps, Im using a Hawke Varmint 3-12x44 sf.. to be honest im not really happy with the scope as most my shooting i do at dusk and dawn. Iv just read a review on the scope and it says its designed for a .22 rifle...im using a HW100k Sporter .177. Im no expert on rifles or scopes so just woundering if some of you can help me out with why its designed for a .22.? Im a bit miffed at why the shop that sold me the rifle would advised me that the scope was compatable and a good buy to go with my HW100 Sporter .177.? :hmm:

Cheers

Marty.

is it a new model with the half mildot, if so it is absoluetly fine to use with an airrifle as with any mildot scopes the only ones which are more suited to rimfire are the standard 30/30 reticles

i had a hawke varmint 4-16x44 sf new model about a month ago but sent it back as the reticle is too thick for my taste

It was originally designed for Centre Fire and .22 Rimmies that are shot at greater distances than your average airgun.

It is fine for use on any airgun what ever calibre you use :yes:

As mentioned above, it appears to have a thicker ret than most airgun scopes and although I could be wrong, my guess is that the thickness is due (at least in part) to it being designed for Fire Arms rather than airgun.

Tony

Hi Marty.

If you havnt had the scope too long and the shop is willing to swop, have a look at one of these.

http://www.uttings.c...sf-rifle-scope/

Excellent scope from the Hawke stable, very good in low light conditions :thumbs:

One of the best Hawkes Ive owned, and I have had a few :yes:

Bill.

Edited by Sweeney-Todd

Umm I'm a bit confused with what you are saying here buddy.

Is the scope to dull for you at dawn and dusk or are you not getting the shooting results you require?

Regarding being too dull if this is the case, are you turning it down to between x3 and x6 mag? If not you should for best results and light gathering qualities.

I bought a Hawke Varmint SF 2.5 - 10 x 44 with half mildot and have it on my mrs Ultra.

Just set it up this morning first using CGP them shooting out any other error and it managed to be good enough to cut a twig at a lased 65 metres on x 10 mag.

The image is very clear on all mag settings when the correct parallax setting is set on the side wheel.

It will work on a .177 and a .22 just fine.

Maybe you are blaming the scope when actually it may be your rifle or your shooting mate?

Just a thought

Si.

Umm I'm a bit confused with what you are saying here buddy.

Is the scope to dull for you at dawn and dusk or are you not getting the shooting results you require?

Regarding being too dull if this is the case, are you turning it down to between x3 and x6 mag? If not you should for best results and light gathering qualities.

I bought a Hawke Varmint SF 2.5 - 10 x 44 with half mildot and have it on my mrs Ultra.

Just set it up this morning first using CGP them shooting out any other error and it managed to be good enough to cut a twig at a lased 65 metres on x 10 mag.

The image is very clear on all mag settings when the correct parallax setting is set on the side wheel.

It will work on a .177 and a .22 just fine.

Maybe you are blaming the scope when actually it may be your rifle or your shooting mate?

Just a thought

Si.

Its just the x44 rather than the x50 thats giving me low light issues. My shooting abilty is good and i have no problems shooting out to 55y and killing humainly. This is the first half mildot scope iv used and in low light i cant really see the dots an lines on the ret in low light. I alway Zero at 35y, my sife focus is always set on 35y and im always on 12x mag. My technical side of shooting is basic but im quite good when it comes to putting the pellet on the right spot and dispaching cleanly. The ret is really quite thin on this scope as to other scopes iv had.

Regards

Marty

Edited by Probuk

Thanks for the repyl's chap's, like i said im not big on the technical side of shooting. This is one of the reasons i came to this site..to learn a little bit more...Everyday is a school day.

Iv just worked out how to upload pictures to the site aswell so when im out il take a pictue or two and share a few moment's.

Thanks again

Marty.

i have a hawke pana ev x40 scope set on x6 mag and its very very clear right through the day till its too dark obviously , i had a x44 and a x50 scope and all were very marginal comparing to one another..either that or i have eyes like a hawke..boom boom haha!

Nice that you got it sorted pal.

Ive just got back from a shooting meet where i was taking a 40mm kill zone at 115 lased yards in a breeze with a Varmint SF scope and a sub 12 foot pound BSA Ultra in the day and Fire bird exploding targets at a lased 65 yards at night all on camera and witnessed.

Will put up the footage in a few days.

They are good scopes if used on the correct mag for the lighting conditions.

Si.

Edited by zini