Pondservation

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

Ok here it is We have a small woodland pond on the edge of the wood, attracts a fw mallard the drinking pheasant and deer. The pond is half in the wood and half not. On the half not in the wood i would like to grow more cover etc for nesting ducks and pheasants. One hazel is already growing here. Any pictures/ideas would be great.

Sorry admin this was meant to be on the gamekeeping&conservation page ! :yes:

And now it is :)

Edited by john b

Ok here it is We have a small woodland pond on the edge of the wood, attracts a fw mallard the drinking pheasant and deer. The pond is half in the wood and half not. On the half not in the wood i would like to grow more cover etc for nesting ducks and pheasants. One hazel is already growing here. Any pictures/ideas would be great.

Sorry admin this was meant to be on the gamekeeping&conservation page ! :yes:

willow would probably work

If its ducks for shooting you want to attract then dont plant anything which will get too high .Ducks like a clear view in and out on at least one side.A screen of hedge plants would be better ,planted at the end of next winter to catch the growing season , 2 rows ,18 inches apart.For shooting this winter an alternative is to grow a strip of maize round the plantings to act as a screen while the hedge whips grow .

Guest little_lloyd

A island is a very good idea :thumbs-up: and i would love to have one :D Just the pond is a bit too small for that lol, I will take some pictures to upload when i have accses to a scanner.

I probbaly will just plant a new plantation of hazel,beech,oak and holly next year!

on our shoot, we have a pond very similar to the kind you have. it is kind of seperated into 3 sections. one area is in cover from a willow tree with other trees sprouting out of the water. the visiting wildfowl enjoy being under here in the later evening. the next bit is a boggy marsh with some reeds. again this holds the wildfowl on the pond area well. finally is the open part of the pond, it is a clear open space, easy for the wildfowl to get on and off the pond, it is surrounded by a nice high grassy bank which they sun bathe on.

cheers james

will more than likely be out with the keeper tomoro if i can squeeze it round work so will try then. if not will get them asap. we have 2 ponds on our shoot which gives the wildfowl a variety of areas to travel too and from. at the far edge of our shoot, not too far from the pond i mentioned in the last post, the keeper keeps chickens and 1 mallard duck. the female mallard is very successfull at calling in pairs of mallard onto the pond which can only be a good thing :D .

cheers james