New Land with Fallow

Shot Devon reds, roe, muntjac with .243, never an issue. The reds ran a few yards and then toppled over.

Shot deer in their heads, necks and engine room.

Never really notice much difference in the calibres but the recoil, but then I keep within the recommended distance for shooting deer and not 200 yards or further.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess the first thing that you need to understand is that your FAC is granted for a specific purpose, and that was vermin control (possibly target shooting?). Requesting authority for deer is like a

The police cannot demand dsc1 or anything else for that matter to grant a deer legal rifle,if they do speak to basc ect,unless of course you wish to do dsc,you have experience with a .223 so moving up

I have read this statement many times across forums and have always been interested but have never asked. What exactly is a well placed shot and what would a badly placed shot be? How would this diff

Just thought it was better to go to the horses mouth than everyone on here getting in a shouting match with each other, after all we are all owners of rifles and we want to know what we are doing night or day is legal with the right tools.Avon And Somerset is my Force as it will be for Foxdropper, but if other forces have different rules i can not say,best you all check your own forces if you are worried cos that's what i have done. Happy Days. :yes:

Its Wilts for me mate :huh::victory:

Funny how things vary isnt it

Just got off the phone with the Avon And Somerset Firearms Department at Bristol. And they told me as follows.If you have Fox on your Ticket for any caliber rifle then you may shoot Fox day or night Legally providing you have permission on that land to do so, and as far they are aware there is nothing in the pipeline that is going to change that. :boogy:

Oh no, what have you done? You really shouldn't go around putting ideas in their heads!

Seriously though, one FEO says that you can't another says "yeah, that's fine". Who should we believe?

My understanding is the same as A&S, but apparently Wilts see it differently. I can't see how their POV is tenable under the existing law, but why should we believe A&S over Wilts? It dovetails nicely with our belief, but we must beware of "confirmation bias" when seeking advice. Why believe the pov that backs up our own over one that opposes it?

You can see now how completely idiotic firearms legislation, and the enforcement of the licencing system, is.

Just got off the phone with the Avon And Somerset Firearms Department at Bristol. And they told me as follows.If you have Fox on your Ticket for any caliber rifle then you may shoot Fox day or night Legally providing you have permission on that land to do so, and as far they are aware there is nothing in the pipeline that is going to change that. :boogy:

Oh no, what have you done? You really shouldn't go around putting ideas in their heads!

Seriously though, one FEO says that you can't another says "yeah, that's fine". Who should we believe?

My understanding is the same as A&S, but apparently Wilts see it differently. I can't see how their POV is tenable under the existing law, but why should we believe A&S over Wilts? It dovetails nicely with our belief, but we must beware of "confirmation bias" when seeking advice. Why believe the pov that backs up our own over one that opposes it?

You can see now how completely idiotic firearms legislation, and the enforcement of the licencing system, is.

Seeing as all the responsibility has been deferred to local chief constables from the government, is it enforcement of the licensing system or enforcement on, ultimately, a Chief Constables point of view?

It's a dangerous state of affairs when experienced shooters who have held firearms for a number of years aren't even sure on the legalities of using them in certain situations. Things should be crystal clear yet we all ask what would seem the most basic questions as we are unsure!

I honestly believe it will take an accident/negligent incident whereby the perpetrator says ''But I thought such-and-such because that's what another force does'', before anyone puts their neck on the block and demands the collective finger gets pulled out :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sadly Jock I think you're right. Quick legislation, (and legislation written in response to an incident is almost by definition quick) is usually bad legislation. Look at the balls up over expanding ammunition post Hungerford!

The firearms legislation needs a complete re-write, to make it consistent and fair, so that people can understand it. I have to say I think the police would have serious trouble enforcing most conditions on FAC's, as a lot of them don't meet one or more of the tests (fairness, plain english, evidenced, reasonable, of demonstrable benefit to the public safety) that are set down for any conditions on an FAC.

Well 'im under Avon and Somerset so i have to do what they say.

Speak to BASC and get it sorted mate, they are talking absolute b-----ks, never heard such utter rubbish.