Long range hunting with two foreign friends

zini

whats that to do with the price of bacon?

and ermm they do drop elk and boar with one shot 9mm airguns..a totally diferent subject of totaly diferent peramiters.

the reason no one discuses the top end of air gunning is because everybody throws a paddy and comes up with weird n wanderful idias and asimilies to rant with.

thats my last say on this matter lol... do yu HOME WORK lol. spend the cash on barrels n tune ups...get a set up, spend half yu life learning the skill, then listen to the weekenders preach bol..lox chopsin bu..ll sh..it.

night all sleep tight.

im not going to be able to sleep tonight knowing 30 odd years of shooting has been a waste of time :( damn you for being the authority on airrifles . lol

well ive said my bit . nice shot anyway zini

hi Chimp

I know you have to have your say,but you could of just simply said your last comment first :thumbs:

I know you like to come in the air gun section and rip in to us "and to be fair" some of it is quite funny! I get your humour.

but what I will say is Si is NO! way irresponsible,just like many other regulars in this section!

nice shooting Si :thumbs:

PS.good job you didn't put up the really long range footage we got :hmm: but we will keep that that footage for our self's :boogy:

Davy

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi lads,   Here is some long range shooting that I did with my 2 foreign friends Mr E and Mr W.   Not everyone will like this kind of shooting and at these ranges with a sub 12 ft / lb air rifle,

Hi Si, you will always get criticisms from those that are envious of your obvious shooting skill. Sir Slots -alot / Alan does long distance vermin control on Youtube with centrefires , he has had h

well you said you might get some stick zi mate but you wont get any from me thats for sure your a very resposible air gunner and you done your home work on last video fair play to you cracking shots

Posted Images

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SHOOT to your own Capability was what i was always taught whether it was 20 yrds or a 100 yrds,

And plenty of Practice to improve your capability as a Marksman to shoot further as you got better.

atvb Daz 7 " Also a long Shooter"

• Like 2

I thought that the post before the video said enough .

Its kinda sad that you always get shot down no matter what you do Si .

I felt the same when you were trying to give the lads some info on the Nite Hunter unit you were testing .

Damned if you do ,

Damned if you dont .

• Like 1

Reading this post and all the comments, i gather something has happened between chimp and zini. I don't know what has gone on and neither do i wish too, so this post of mine has no loyalty to either side and i will speak how i see things.

We air weapon users reach our limits way way before the gun reaches its.

Apart from davyt63 who i have seen shoot with Si on You-Tube, Si is the best (is it shot or shooter) person to get close to the guns limits. I would hazard a guess that Si has spent more time than most, if not all of us at the back of an air rifle. With time and effort he has managed to get as good as he is. With all his knowledge and experience of his gun/scope set-up allows him to even contemplate taking such shots.

What is everybody moaning about, is it because Si is and was able to take such shots. I could understand all the hoo-har over the shot if the bird was just injured, but it was a clean head shot kill. As the pellet still had energy to penetrate the pigeons skull, the gun had not reached its limit. Perhaps people now have to think again about listing a guns performance, maybe it should include the distance where the pellet has lost enough energy to kill?.

Please keep it up Si, not only do i enjoy watching you explore the guns limitation, it also shows me that i need to put pellets through barrel to inprove myself.

• Like 1

Reading this post and all the comments, i gather something has happened between chimp and zini. I don't know what has gone on and neither do i wish too, so this post of mine has no loyalty to either side and i will speak how i see things.

We air weapon users reach our limits way way before the gun reaches its.

Apart from davyt63 who i have seen shoot with Si on You-Tube, Si is the best (is it shot or shooter) person to get close to the guns limits. I would hazard a guess that Si has spent more time than most, if not all of us at the back of an air rifle. With time and effort he has managed to get as good as he is. With all his knowledge and experience of his gun/scope set-up allows him to even contemplate taking such shots.

What is everybody moaning about, is it because Si is and was able to take such shots. I could understand all the hoo-har over the shot if the bird was just injured, but it was a clean head shot kill. As the pellet still had energy to penetrate the pigeons skull, the gun had not reached its limit. Perhaps people now have to think again about listing a guns performance, maybe it should include the distance where the pellet has lost enough energy to kill?.

Please keep it up Si, not only do i enjoy watching you explore the guns limitation, it also shows me that i need to put pellets through barrel to inprove myself.

hi buddy

its only a weapon, when used in a act of violence! its an Air rifle :thumbs:

davy

• Like 1

Not going to dwell too heavily on the ethics of long range shooting whether capable or not but I will say this...the best practise for a 65 yard creature is a 25 yard stalk. We have all done the long range stuff, 40 years of practice for me but I still miss at those distances. I find it pays to keep these "memorable shots" to myself.

To the op a question; have you recorded a longe range shot where you have wounded your quarry or even missed?

Genuinly interested in hearing more about this so it'd be a shame to close the thread at this point.

Hi Davy, I,m so sorry for the error on my page but i meant it to cover both rifles, pistols and even the new air powered crossbows. I am totally on Si and your side, i subscribe to tour YouTube channel and am in awe of what the pair of you can do with an air rifle lol. In some ways i am glad that you live in Wiltshire and shoot around the Oxfordshire countryside because i know that i can sleep easy knowing that the pair of you are killing vermin, but in other ways i wish you weren't in MY Oxfordshire because i have to compete with you over permissions ;) . It's a good job the county is such a size that are paths don't cross or it might get ugly lol :victory: . Stay safe and well the pair of you. ATVB Roger

To Pink or Stink, If Si or anybody else would have posted the video request that you were after, (To the op a question; have you recorded a longe range shot where you have wounded your quarry or even missed?). If it was a miss nobody would give a flying fart about it, but if it was injured boy oh boy would that be a diffrent kettle of fish. Every anti would be jumping on the band wagon shouting that this should be banned and the shooter be burned at the stake.

In this video the man who shot the pigeon at that range took into account, the perfect weather and his ability gained over years of dedication shooting many tens if not hundreds of thousands of pellets through that gun before deciding on taking the shot. Can the same be said for the person who has stalked a rabbit, pigeon, squirell, or rat and then raised the gun in antisipation then as the trigger is being squeezed just at the last milli-second has the quarry moved. For without the years of training down at a range shooting targets (paper before we get into another arguement), we still pull the trigger. For we are convinced that we pulled the trigger before the target has moved the killing zone out of the pellets path, i know i have. Then when we realize that our target is injured and not dead as we had intended we as fast as we can move to dispatch it.

So let us change our view-point for a while can we. So you are out driving your family around the countryside the beautiful countryside that this country has to offer, when out of the blue a pheasant, rabbit or pigeon comes out of the hedgerow and before you know it. Your instincts take over and you flinch and try to duck out of the way if it has taken flight, or if the little furry bunny jumps out from the hedge if you can you swerve or brake. But its to late, you hear the terrible THUD of the impact. Now what do you do!, you stop the car then get out and go and find the animal to check that its ok. Your efforts in the search was worth it because you have found the animal, its laying there just on the roads edge kicking still trying to escape you. You stand over it and look, you can see that its injuries are too bad, now what. Do you pick it up, check it and take it to the car and pass this bleeding mess to the wife or kids who are in their best cloths. Do you dispatch it, do you even know how too? then have to go back to the car and explain to the kids your bloody hands. NO you drive on and leave the poor little thing to have to wait for hopfully the next car to come along to hit it, otherwise its going to have to wait for either the blood to leak out so it can die or the fox might smell it and we all knows what happens then don't we.

I could of used "smilies" all over this text but i'm taking this blog very seriously as i do my shooting as do Si, davy along with a great deat of others.

• Like 1

To Pink or Stink, If Si or anybody else would have posted the video request that you were after, (To the op a question; have you recorded a longe range shot where you have wounded your quarry or even missed?). If it was a miss nobody would give a flying fart about it, but if it was injured boy oh boy would that be a diffrent kettle of fish. Every anti would be jumping on the band wagon shouting that this should be banned and the shooter be burned at the stake.

In this video the man who shot the pigeon at that range took into account, the perfect weather and his ability gained over years of dedication shooting many tens if not hundreds of thousands of pellets through that gun before deciding on taking the shot. Can the same be said for the person who has stalked a rabbit, pigeon, squirell, or rat and then raised the gun in antisipation then as the trigger is being squeezed just at the last milli-second has the quarry moved. For without the years of training down at a range shooting targets (paper before we get into another arguement), we still pull the trigger. For we are convinced that we pulled the trigger before the target has moved the killing zone out of the pellets path, i know i have. Then when we realize that our target is injured and not dead as we had intended we as fast as we can move to dispatch it.

So let us change our view-point for a while can we. So you are out driving your family around the countryside the beautiful countryside that this country has to offer, when out of the blue a pheasant, rabbit or pigeon comes out of the hedgerow and before you know it. Your instincts take over and you flinch and try to duck out of the way if it has taken flight, or if the little furry bunny jumps out from the hedge if you can you swerve or brake. But its to late, you hear the terrible THUD of the impact. Now what do you do!, you stop the car then get out and go and find the animal to check that its ok. Your efforts in the search was worth it because you have found the animal, its laying there just on the roads edge kicking still trying to escape you. You stand over it and look, you can see that its injuries are too bad, now what. Do you pick it up, check it and take it to the car and pass this bleeding mess to the wife or kids who are in their best cloths. Do you dispatch it, do you even know how too? then have to go back to the car and explain to the kids your bloody hands. NO you drive on and leave the poor little thing to have to wait for hopfully the next car to come along to hit it, otherwise its going to have to wait for either the blood to leak out so it can die or the fox might smell it and we all knows what happens then don't we.

I could of used "smilies" all over this text but i'm taking this blog very seriously as i do my shooting as do Si, davy along with a great deat of others.

Well said mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well im one of the hated "lurcher boys" and i cant see the problem, if the kills are clean and not flukes and the shooter is confident of that before he takes the shot then why not? The same would apply to using air rifles for close range fox too, if the kill is clean and the shooter confident why not? Both are possible but pushing the limits of the rifle.

Personally I wouldnt do either but I wont judge those who do

• Like 2

Hi Pink,

All your points are taken on board buddy :thumbs: and I'm not in total disagreeance with you despite what you may well think.

I think that you are missing the point of the thread though and that is to answer some other threads with a video and show the potential of a sub 12.

As I said at the start of the first post the shots I took and filmed were the only shots I took and so I was very careful not to injure any animal.

I also haven't just thought to myself "oh yeah lets go and shoot long distance today for the channel".

I first spent almost 2 days of calibration, first on Chairgun with some very accurate data input followed by doing 2 registration shoots to take out the minute errors in my calibration of my rifles. I then spent the rest of the time practising at those ranges so I was happy that not only the rifle was on song and sweet as it could be but I was too. This together with the 25 years of shooting practice enabled me to achieve the shots mate.

What was interesting though and as yet no one as picked up on it. The only bird I missed was the bird at 30 metres due to the pellet clipping a unseen twig.

Just for the record though, I miss as many quarry species at normal ranges 10 to 35 yards as the next man. I also wound occasionally as does anyone hunting with a air rifle, if people say they dont I say they are a liar.

Last week I went ratting with 2 friends with ranges from mostly 5 yards to 25 yard at the very max. How many misses did I get, well probably 30 to 40 if I'm honest and I was the worst shot out of the 3 of them by far.

Does this mean my max range should be 4 yards? no of course it doesn't, it just simply illustrates a point that sitting on top of your quarry at 10 yards doesn't guarantee a clean kill either and that there is a lot more involved in the equation.

At the end of the day I know my own capabilities and I would not try and post on here what i couldn't achieve.

Regarding posting wounded quarry for people to see. I don't think so, that wont ever happen.

I like this section and the forum in general and do not wish to get banned for life for doing something that would really give antis the ammo and also bringing down the forum, but if i wanted to have done that and was crazy i could have posted a few clips from 5 and 10 yards rats that I had to shoot twice to humanely kill last week and would not of had to go right out to 70 yards.

I hope this answers some of your questions mate.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1