ft lbs kill ranges

Not sure what you mean by "accurately kill" - accuracy is based on pellet, rifle quality and operator alone. The power has little to do with accuracy. Unless you mean 'cleanly kill'. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that 5ftlb at impact is enough to kill a rabbit if you shoot it in the head. According to Chairgun, with a 28ftlb at muzzle, you've got 110 yards before the energy drops to 5ftlb.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by "accurately kill" - accuracy is based on pellet, rifle quality and operator alone. The power has little to do with accuracy. Unless you mean 'cleanly kill'. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that 5ftlb at impact is enough to kill a rabbit if you shoot it in the head. According to Chairgun, with a 28ftlb at muzzle, you've got 110 yards before the energy drops to 5ftlb.

i thought it was 3ftlbs? ether way your right in all you say,theres only one weak link and thats always the person behind it

• Like 1

Could well be 3ftlb, gives me the incentive to practice to push my sub-12ftlber even further!

Having done some further research (ie. searching around various airgun boards), 3-4ftlb seems to be the number people are going by.

Edited by AngryHan

It can actually take a lot less than that to kill a rabbit, if if you can deliver point four of a ft/lb of energy to the correct part of the nervous system, according to the scientists (the Cerebellum or 'little brain' the bit that keeps the heart/lungs etc functioning) the bunny will roll over and croak immediately.

Of course that little energy at the front or top of the head will do little more than give bug's a bump on the bonce and a bit of a headache!

Tony

Could well be 3ftlb, gives me the incentive to practice to push my sub-12ftlber even further!

Having done some further research (ie. searching around various airgun boards), 3-4ftlb seems to be the number people are going by.

Not your rifle buddy, you :yes: as mentioned elsewhere, the weak link (apart from early B2's and the like) is always the shooter :yes:

There are also many other variables to the equation! Air resistance (atmospheric pressure), humidity, wind, the surface of the pellet, daytime/nighttime temperatures etc....

Thats why you need to learn your ability to shoot under differing conditions.

Tony

The above answers are all of merit. Can you shoot to the limit of your rifle?

But really, if you need a rifle with power to kill at such long ranges, you should be looking at a Rimfire/Centrefire job on your FAC..

I can confidently hit a rabbit straight through it's head at 25 to 60+metre ranges, depending on weather/wind conditions, with an 11.5ft/lb .22 spring rifle. That's far enough variance distance away for me!

The target brain area starts to look awfully small once you get to 35-40+ metres distant.

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 2

Even assuming the availabilty of kit and ammo group under an inch at 100m (110yard as suggested by Angryhan) from a 12ft.lb rifle, and the triggerman who can do the kit justice, the 28ft.lb rifle isn't going to make a huge difference.

It might give you an extra 10-15 meters, but the bottom line is that air rifle pellets are far too ballistically inefficient to be any more stable at higher velocities. ie: just because you send it out there faster, doesn't mean it's gonna go where you expect it too - in fact, it's more likely the opposite is true.

If you could get a heavier, jacketed, boat tailed projectile and find the means to chamber it consistently, and get a consistent barrel seal with it, then maybe you could expect to see decent range benefits. However, in the absence of this, I think the only thing that the extra power will really allow you to do, is to send a heavier projectile downrange with the same initial velocity. This won't give you a whole lot more wrt to range, but it'll give you a more "persuasive" impact when it gets there. What range benefits you do get then, will be down to better velocity retention in the heavier projectile - but I reckon it's still gonna loose its spin and go unstable shortly beyond 100m no matter what you do.

If you can reach out to that range accurately with a springer, then kudos to you! :thumbs:

well aparently it would probably be 'easy' to most of these 'snipers' on here with there pree charged!!

im quuite happy getting in closer to stuff and going for an easier shot. less risky and a lot more respect is given to the quarry. plus its fun and a challenge.

better than setting up and waiting until something lands or pops its head up at long range then all you have to do is move your bipod slightly and squeese the trigger!

thats just my view though. each to their own i say. i like to be active when im out hunting. sneeking around slowly and stalking is more my cup of tea than the sit and wait approach