Judges for Ballywalter Game Fair

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old shows are a good days craic...   Im waiting always waiting on the antique, arthritic, held together by pins rabbit class. But they haven't made one yet. When they do, we might be in for a ch

jaysus lads give the girl a break....i mean seriously does rosettes mean that much to yous ...just go and enjoy the show lads and if you dont like the judge dont show but jaysus give the weee girl a b

I have known Albert, Seamus and matt for coming on 35 years....all my days in lurchers...they have organised, showed and held events all over the country to let every lurcher, terrier and whippet man

Posted Images

to all the moaners out there try running and organising a show yourself you wouldnt beso quick to critisise then i bet. organisers do a great job and thousands of people enjoy their days out every summer at the shows and gamefairs so they got to be doing something right otherwise people wouldnt pay to go .

• Like 2

i have seen rose judge lurchers before and yes she done a good job an im sure she will do a good job at ballywalter, but i have to agree with the critics, there are alot of working lurcher men about the north plenty capable of judging one of the mane gamefairs of the summer, rose has been thrown to the lions

Personally if I were running a show I wouldn't publicise the judges prior to the event, they get enough of a slating on here afterwards, never mind before they judge!! However, folk on here have been asking who's judging and the names have been given. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about any comments on this thread so far, but I'd be interested to hear who you guys/gals would respect as a judge of working dogs, terriers. lurchers and whippets? It's very easy to criticise, but I always believe if you have a problem then come up with a solution!

LJ,

A post of reason! We had several requests about who was judging. On balance we decided to post as it gives the person who wants to avoid a judge the chance to do so without having the expense of travelling. Under KC shows this is the system - I personally when I showed dogs went under everyone because I used showing as a form of relaxation rather than having to try to win all the times. I actually stopped showing when I had three dogs just a couple of gstars off their full title ( they all had their working qualification) when I happened to win virtually everything at the Club CH show and the bad sportmanship was so evident that it took any fun out of showing for me.

I moved more into working dogs that were better for shooting,or running them in tests and trials, having the relaxation of training them and occasionally showing them at club shows where I don't expect to win with them because they are working dogs! It is after all a show which is bty definition based on looks rather than working ability.

I too would like to hear from people as to who they would think should be judging together with the person's qualifications for judging. Suggestions welcome and pmed to me or given in a call to Matt/Shane. We don't want other people slagged off or trial by internet! We have UK Lurcher & Whippet judges for Shanes confirmed but there are slots for Terrier judges for both Shanes & Birr and A whippet judge for Birr and three lurcher judges to be selected.

Now I wouldn't dream of asking someone who works their gundogs badly, or a little or says they work their gundogs , or who has really ugly, ill conformed, poor condition dogs to judge a gundog show so 'qualifications such as 'works their dog' while desirable must be supported by some other suggestions about why they would be a good judge.

Judges have to start somewhere and usually only please one person - the winner! . I have spent more time than I should on this topic - not defending myself because abuse or criticism on this forum doesn't worry me - I do take cognisance of it, if relevant, and ignore the rest- but I do think it appalling that Rose has been put under immense pressure by people 'pre-judging' what she can do. I am annoyed that they are reluctant to give her a chance. You can see why so many people who might make good judges are reluctant to judge.

Many of you might not know that Barrie Wade played a pivotal role in getting terriers included in docking exemptions here in NI. All the organisations and I have to say our own magazine had concentrated on gundog exemptions when Barrie contacted me and offered a superbly written paper defending the docking of terriers. I emailed it to all of the committee members at Stormont and largely through the good offices of Francie Molloy, who pushed the issue - terriers were included. We intend to make Barrie a presentation of one of our magazine's Lifetime commitment awards - not only for this but a lifetime of important work for terriers in the UK and elsewhere. Barrie has judged all over the world and I trust the working dog owners in Ireland will give him a big welcome at Ballywalter.

This is me now finished on the topic of judging at Ballywalter unless someone asks me a direct question of relevance and not just posts some criticism of the judges or me. Our judges have been selected I am confident they will do a good and FAIR job. People who object to a particular judge do not have to show under them. I will listen to suggestions for judges and discuss them with Matt & Shane and we will then consider them when we are appointing judges for our other shows this year and next year.

Albertj

• Like 1

To judge a working whippet lurcher or terrier on its appearance alone is in my opinion completely pointless for the following reasons,

1. When anyone buys a working dog they take it for a trial, when some one buys a pup they want evidence of how it parents work and if the pup is likely to suit the work they need it for.

2 Racing is not work for a lurcher or a greyhound for that matter a lurcher is a hunting dog which came about because a commoner was not allowed to own a pure greyhound as it was a hunting dog.

2. Terriers have a diverse number of roles across all the breeds and the reason for working trials was that years ago men recognised that looks alone were not grounds to judge a dog though i suspect working trials will remain in the past.

A Lurcher Whippet or terrier judge has the job as I see it to Judge a dog on its health, character, cleanliness and how it stands and walks on the day. ON that basis I think that the lurcher and terrier judge selected for Ballywalter will do a good job and here is why.

1. I have visited both yards for various reasons at short notice of Kieran Young and Rose McCoy, I have never seen so much as a drop of shit or encountered a bad smell, every dog form pup to pensioner was in mint condition and healthy clean and happy.

2. Kieran Young has enjoyed success at showing lurchers and done a good job judging them, most importantly judging from the lead down, something I could not do, He is humble when winning and honest when judging, a lot of judges I have encountered could not do the same.

3. Rose McCoy is a decent person , she always has her dogs in mint order and has had huge success racing, this tells me she know what a healthy dog looks like, and there are plenty which arrive at shows covered in their own shite.

4. A judge’s decision is their choice the dog they would like to take home so it can never be wrong in my opinion, what baffles me more is when the same dogs win over and over.

Dog shows are not really about working lurchers any more and i suspect that showing of entered terriers will see a big drop this summer given recent events.

finally Albert whilst I commend you dedication to this branch of the game fair, I feel that you do not understand the nature of working terriers or running dogs and would recommend you experience it, I have some knowledge of gun dogs myself though not enough to make sweeping statements about what constitutes a working standard of say a golden retriever which if I am correct is you favored breed. Whilst at this time it is vital country sports people stand together, it is also a good time for us to gain a greater understanding of what each others passion is. Best of luck with your Game Fairs and I give my full support to the judges that have been selected for Lurcher and Whippets

Credit due where credit is due Rose does well at the racing with her dogs But maybe the credit should be going to dear old pop. Could he be the unsung hero in the McCoy racing sucess Pehaps he would have been a better choice to judge is this not a time for change why the people are vinited to judge ?. My point ito judge a dog fit for pupose you neeed to have been involved in that purpose Lurchers were bred to chase catch and kill quarry not race in a straight line after a bag .

Edited by pigsy
Guest Sorley Boys clan

Personally if I were running a show I wouldn't publicise the judges prior to the event, they get enough of a slating on here afterwards, never mind before they judge!! However, folk on here have been asking who's judging and the names have been given. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about any comments on this thread so far, but I'd be interested to hear who you guys/gals would respect as a judge of working dogs, terriers. lurchers and whippets? It's very easy to criticise, but I always believe if you have a problem then come up with a solution!

LJ,

A post of reason! We had several requests about who was judging. On balance we decided to post as it gives the person who wants to avoid a judge the chance to do so without having the expense of travelling. Under KC shows this is the system - I personally when I showed dogs went under everyone because I used showing as a form of relaxation rather than having to try to win all the times. I actually stopped showing when I had three dogs just a couple of gstars off their full title ( they all had their working qualification) when I happened to win virtually everything at the Club CH show and the bad sportmanship was so evident that it took any fun out of showing for me.

I moved more into working dogs that were better for shooting,or running them in tests and trials, having the relaxation of training them and occasionally showing them at club shows where I don't expect to win with them because they are working dogs! It is after all a show which is bty definition based on looks rather than working ability.

I too would like to hear from people as to who they would think should be judging together with the person's qualifications for judging. Suggestions welcome and pmed to me or given in a call to Matt/Shane. We don't want other people slagged off or trial by internet! We have UK Lurcher & Whippet judges for Shanes confirmed but there are slots for Terrier judges for both Shanes & Birr and A whippet judge for Birr and three lurcher judges to be selected.

Now I wouldn't dream of asking someone who works their gundogs badly, or a little or says they work their gundogs , or who has really ugly, ill conformed, poor condition dogs to judge a gundog show so 'qualifications such as 'works their dog' while desirable must be supported by some other suggestions about why they would be a good judge.

Judges have to start somewhere and usually only please one person - the winner! . I have spent more time than I should on this topic - not defending myself because abuse or criticism on this forum doesn't worry me - I do take cognisance of it, if relevant, and ignore the rest- but I do think it appalling that Rose has been put under immense pressure by people 'pre-judging' what she can do. I am annoyed that they are reluctant to give her a chance. You can see why so many people who might make good judges are reluctant to judge.

Many of you might not know that Barrie Wade played a pivotal role in getting terriers included in docking exemptions here in NI. All the organisations and I have to say our own magazine had concentrated on gundog exemptions when Barrie contacted me and offered a superbly written paper defending the docking of terriers. I emailed it to all of the committee members at Stormont and largely through the good offices of Francie Molloy, who pushed the issue - terriers were included. We intend to make Barrie a presentation of one of our magazine's Lifetime commitment awards - not only for this but a lifetime of important work for terriers in the UK and elsewhere. Barrie has judged all over the world and I trust the working dog owners in Ireland will give him a big welcome at Ballywalter.

This is me now finished on the topic of judging at Ballywalter unless someone asks me a direct question of relevance and not just posts some criticism of the judges or me. Our judges have been selected I am confident they will do a good and FAIR job. People who object to a particular judge do not have to show under them. I will listen to suggestions for judges and discuss them with Matt & Shane and we will then consider them when we are appointing judges for our other shows this year and next year.

Albertj

this is a direct question of relevence Albert is a judge aloud to judge friends an familys dogs because i know a man who was very succesful at showing terriers won the all ireland and he walked out of the ring because he had gifted a friend a terrier ornament an when the showing started the same man was the judge Edited by Sorley Boys clan

Good man Danny, working man judging at a show, would I enter my dog if you were the judge,, answer is YES , and would I respect your assessment of my dog regardless of your verdict, yes I would, we need more honest working men that know dogs and who are willing to bring about change at some shows. AJ just look at Kevins show, I know its hard to please all, but its worth thinking about....

Good luck to Rose at Ballywater.

Edited by Irish Lurcher

LJ,

Albertj

this is a direct question of relevence Albert is a judge aloud to judge friends an familys dogs because i know a man who was very succesful at showing terriers won the all ireland and he walked out of the ring because he had gifted a friend a terrier ornament an when the showing started the same man was the judge

SB,

Difficult one and one for the clubs running the event and the judges. . Obviously we would not expect family members to show under the judge - friends are a little bit more difficult.

Personally when I was showing dogs under KC rules I didn't show under close friends because I felt it put them in an untenable position. If I had the best dog and they put me up then it devalued their judging in some peoples mind and therefore devalued the win. In fact I went the other way and showed under a lady with whom I had a very serious falling out - it was fun to watch her struggle in a 2 dog class with my young dog which had just won a green Star and a grossly inferior dog. It totally devalued her judging when she put up the other dog and led to some justified criticism of her fairness - it did more for my own reputation than had I not shown under her! However there is nothing in KC rules about not judging friend's dogs and where would you draw the line at closeness of friend? As I say a really close friend should probably not put a judge in that position but I don't think we can legislate against it. All we can do overall is to select judges who we think will be fair and leave it to them.

Albertj

Albertj suggests I was “pivotal in getting terriers included in the docking exemptions in NI”, but there’s much more that he does not say.

The reality is that once we heard of the situation in N.I. and the likelihood that gundogs were to be exempted from the tail docking ban and terriers were not, and having already fought that particular battle on the mainland we tried to establish some form of contact in N.I. to see if the NWTF could assist in any way.

We tried contacting various organizations, open postings on these forums and PM’s to different members, but it was only when someone put us in touch with Albert that we actually found someone prepared to pick up the baton and run with it.

His comments about me are generous, but also overly kind. If any one person deserves credit for reversing the situation on tail docking in N.I., then it is Albert himself. The NWTF may have supplied the ammunition, but without Albert’s input and contacts it would have fallen on stony ground and another of our freedoms could so easily have been lost forever.

I was always brought up to judge a man by his actions and not by what he claims for himself. I’ve never met Albert and very much look forward to doing so. Although he may not keep terriers or lurchers himself, in my view by his actions to date (not just empty words), he’s already shown he has their best interests at heart. For me that’s a sharp contrast to some who may lay claim to be “working dog men”, but have yet to step up to the mark.

In all honesty, if I had to put up with this kind of thing each year before Ragley, I would have given up a long time ago…. we really are our own worst enemy at times.

J.M.H.O. – Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 3

LJ,

Albertj

this is a direct question of relevence Albert is a judge aloud to judge friends an familys dogs because i know a man who was very succesful at showing terriers won the all ireland and he walked out of the ring because he had gifted a friend a terrier ornament an when the showing started the same man was the judge

SB,

Difficult one and one for the clubs running the event and the judges. . Obviously we would not expect family members to show under the judge - friends are a little bit more difficult.

Personally when I was showing dogs under KC rules I didn't show under close friends because I felt it put them in an untenable position. If I had the best dog and they put me up then it devalued their judging in some peoples mind and therefore devalued the win. In fact I went the other way and showed under a lady with whom I had a very serious falling out - it was fun to watch her struggle in a 2 dog class with my young dog which had just won a green Star and a grossly inferior dog. It totally devalued her judging when she put up the other dog and led to some justified criticism of her fairness - it did more for my own reputation than had I not shown under her! However there is nothing in KC rules about not judging friend's dogs and where would you draw the line at closeness of friend? As I say a really close friend should probably not put a judge in that position but I don't think we can legislate against it. All we can do overall is to select judges who we think will be fair and leave it to them.

Albertj

Albert

Further to the ongoing discussion re judges at Irish Game Fairs. I would like to lend my support towards Danny as a judge at one of your shows. The lad is well respected among working dog men and would be a great addition to your team in bringing about much needed change to the problem that obviously exists among the working dog man of Ireland.

I can’t put it any clearer, working dog men want working dog men to judge their dogs, simple. I hope you take this on board. I did try to pm you this text but your in-box is full

Best Regards

John

Edited by Irish Lurcher
  • Like 2

LJ,

Albertj

SB,

Albertj

Albert

Further to the ongoing discussion re judges at Irish Game Fairs. I would like to lend my support towards Danny as a judge at one of your shows. The lad is well respected among working dog men and would be a great addition to your team in bringing about much needed change to the problem that obviously exists among the working dog man of Ireland.

I can’t put it any clearer, working dog men want working dog men to judge their dogs, simple. I hope you take this on board. I did try to pm you this text but your in-box is full

Best Regards

John

Tried to pm you but your box is full.

Can I say to you or anyone suggesting judges for us to consider that we are willing to consider suggestions but need to have some justification for selecting a judge other than you claim 'he works his dogs'.

As a former chairman now President of the Ulster Golden Retriever Club I have had an input into selecting show, working test and Field Trial judges. I wouldn't think of supporting a show judge on the basis of 'he works his dogs' AND bear in mind such a person would have had the work of his dogs demonstrated through actual tests or trials not just on the basis of someone claiming that he worked his dogs. Obviously dogs in the field trial or working classes have the certificates to prove it so a show judge is fairly competent to judge them whereas in the breed classes I would doubt that a working judge would necessarily be competent to judge the 'beauty' stakes and make no mistake that is what by definition any show is. I would need the person to have supporting qualifications such as preferably that they had judged before and if not, that their dogs had had some show success.

Albertj

all your heads are cut the lot of you sitting behind screens hammering the shite out of a couple of people willing to stand in the centre of the ring and do a bit,its the same 4 or 5 of ya all the time,why not stick your real names to the posts your slagging people of in.one minute the shows are a bit of craic then the next your moanin cause you got beat by a dog that the owner put some effort into,i support some of the shows but i dont win shite all ever but i dont care it is only abit of craic to me,danny how will you prove the dogs you pick to win are working ill surely go to see a hunting life dog legend judging lol

• Like 1