deer prices

Stu, none of them over east plays pocket billiards. You don't have a sister and bark yourself, if you know what I mean. ;)

Obviously you havent seen the sisters around here Matt they are that ugly they could fritten a police horse and it takes a lot to fritten a police horse, they are well trained.

They always do well in the Egremont gurning comp though.

thats why most lads used 6 finger gloves. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

I us to butcher deer and sell it to the public and as much as you say the price is bad it really not I had to stop due to health after a while but it really does not make much unless you can sell it all which is very rare. Take a red of about 85kg the skin is about 10kg the rest of the waste is about 20kg so I have just thrown out 30kg in the bin which I have just paid for I now only got 50 55kg to make money on. the cost to dispose of waste is about £18 so the deer has cost me just shi of £300 the hunches way about 12kg with no bones stake them you lose about .5kg of meat in trimmings I was selling at £14kg, middle of the animal has loins and fillet and if it clean shot sausage meat weight of loins about 1.5kg sell at £16kg tender way about .5kg £18kg and sausage meat about 8kg if lucky £4kg minced up shoulder become stew meat or sausages and normally come with a lot of waste due to bullet place meant a good shoulder ways about 5kg each £8kg and neck turned to sausage 5kg £4kg. So I have now spent 2.5 hours cutting the thing up running so heavy duty fridges to keep them cold hired the machines to pack them all and lable every thing up. I do not export I sold to shops butchers and the public and for every 7 deer in I would lose a deer as it was not sold in time but if I did not by the deer that came my way I would lose my suppilers so that a catch 22 but one deer would make me with no over heads or my wage hunches £366 loin £48 fillets £9 sausage meat £52 shoulder if all good £80 so grand total of £555 but dont forget to take £300 off what I paid for the deer to make it more relistic times the deer by by 28 which is what I done a month = £15540-£8400=£7140 but I would lose about 4 so I now down to £5940 over heads of machines and refridgearation and rent was £1800 a month petrol was about £200 a month and pitch fees for the markets were between £10 and £14 plus 10% of takings I run 12 stool in a month minium £120 for the stool =£2120 the average stool took £200 so £20 went to the market that £240 so at the end of all this with out packaging cost which is 11p per packet and that would be about 150 per carcus= £462 I was making a max per month of £3118 now I would also have to pay a meat inspector to be on site to inspect the carcus £200 a week =£2318 I got to pay tax and all that at 20% = £1854 divid this by 4 gave me a weekly wage of £463 a week and believe me I was working 15 hour day some times 20 hours about 100 hours a week so that works out at a hourly rate of £4.63p now I cant see why people would say they dont get a fair price on there carcus ok I was a small out fit and if I was bigger I would of made a bit more but many dealer only make on volume and that extra 50p a kg you may want costs quite alot in the long run but they could do it I was giving £2.50 kg I will say reds have percentage to body mass more meat then other species so the amount of waste in other species to the amount of sale able meat is less to. hope this puts your minds at rest on where the money goes when you sell to a dealer.

I us to butcher deer and sell it to the public and as much as you say the price is bad it really not I had to stop due to health after a while but it really does not make much unless you can sell it all which is very rare. Take a red of about 85kg the skin is about 10kg the rest of the waste is about 20kg so I have just thrown out 30kg in the bin which I have just paid for I now only got 50 55kg to make money on. the cost to dispose of waste is about £18 so the deer has cost me just shi of £300 the hunches way about 12kg with no bones stake them you lose about .5kg of meat in trimmings I was selling at £14kg, middle of the animal has loins and fillet and if it clean shot sausage meat weight of loins about 1.5kg sell at £16kg tender way about .5kg £18kg and sausage meat about 8kg if lucky £4kg minced up shoulder become stew meat or sausages and normally come with a lot of waste due to bullet place meant a good shoulder ways about 5kg each £8kg and neck turned to sausage 5kg £4kg. So I have now spent 2.5 hours cutting the thing up running so heavy duty fridges to keep them cold hired the machines to pack them all and lable every thing up. I do not export I sold to shops butchers and the public and for every 7 deer in I would lose a deer as it was not sold in time but if I did not by the deer that came my way I would lose my suppilers so that a catch 22 but one deer would make me with no over heads or my wage hunches £366 loin £48 fillets £9 sausage meat £52 shoulder if all good £80 so grand total of £555 but dont forget to take £300 off what I paid for the deer to make it more relistic times the deer by by 28 which is what I done a month = £15540-£8400=£7140 but I would lose about 4 so I now down to £5940 over heads of machines and refridgearation and rent was £1800 a month petrol was about £200 a month and pitch fees for the markets were between £10 and £14 plus 10% of takings I run 12 stool in a month minium £120 for the stool =£2120 the average stool took £200 so £20 went to the market that £240 so at the end of all this with out packaging cost which is 11p per packet and that would be about 150 per carcus= £462 I was making a max per month of £3118 now I would also have to pay a meat inspector to be on site to inspect the carcus £200 a week =£2318 I got to pay tax and all that at 20% = £1854 divid this by 4 gave me a weekly wage of £463 a week and believe me I was working 15 hour day some times 20 hours about 100 hours a week so that works out at a hourly rate of £4.63p now I cant see why people would say they dont get a fair price on there carcus ok I was a small out fit and if I was bigger I would of made a bit more but many dealer only make on volume and that extra 50p a kg you may want costs quite alot in the long run but they could do it I was giving £2.50 kg I will say reds have percentage to body mass more meat then other species so the amount of waste in other species to the amount of sale able meat is less to. hope this puts your minds at rest on where the money goes when you sell to a dealer.

well said pal

I personally only shoot roe to fill my own freezer.I would rather let the deer run than sell them for the pittans that is paid for their carcass via the game dealers.it may be worth thinking about not shooting quite so many then the supply would dwindle and there is clearly demand so this might encourage dealers to pay more ......just a thought... :whistling:

I wonder how many stalkers would sh1t themselves if inland revenue got hold of the game dealers books ....remember if the tax man gets a sniff you are not paying tax on your earnings you will get shafted big time .....this is another reason I don't sell what I shoot....If it is your sole income he will expect 20% of your earnings if you have another income that uses up your allowance he will want 33% of your earnings :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Do you mean to say there are people out there who dont declare it,shocked i am .One chap puts the point across that some is exported well just to put that to bed ,most venison in this country is exported and it pays just a bit less than at home .Thats straight from the mouth of my dealer .The trouble with it is there is always someone who will sell it just to get rid instead of ringing round .I told one dealer he was getting no more from me unless he made it up by 10 p and he said ok but only takes mine if hes pushed .He does pay well on the hares though at £6.50 a piece .