11 months of my knife makeing (pics)

some of you have seen alot of these but i just want to show i dont just do laser cut 01 blanks . alot of these are hand forged by me , i dont know if folks know the differance between that and stock removal knife making but its huge , first and formost im a blade smith and thats not cutting shapes out of steel its forging with heat hammer and anvil . you will form the peice close as you can to the finnished blade . a blade smith and a knife maker are two very differant things , and i class my self as both but with biouse towards blade smith .

i rarly use grinders and most are worked with files and sand paper to there finnish , again something alot dont realise . its called hand made cos it is !

i hope you like this lot , its my first 11 months of work . the business is growing rapidly and there will be new aditions every week form now till i can no longer lift a hammer .

some of these are 100% made by hand including the handle materials . i hope to have entries in the uk blade show this year with knives made from scratch that includes the steel its made from as i want to add atleast one hand forge damascus/pattern weld blade .

this is an early blank , hand forged from the blade of a very old lawn shear .

pup001.jpg

pup002.jpg

this is also from the same shear it was an experiment with polymer clay as handle material

minibulls028.jpg

minibulls030.jpg

this is an old steel file forged to shape with scrap alluminum liners and hand made paper micarta handle . it found a home in austrial with a man that buys almost all my hand forged blades .

shed019.jpg

shed016.jpg

shed017.jpg

shed018.jpg

this is the same sort of thing . it was well recived as a display peice omongst my pears . but was later modifeid into part of my falconers set .

littleblue2002.jpg

littleblue2001.jpg

littleblue2010.jpg

littleblue2011.jpg

next up a customised EKA mora knife it was damaged from years of feild work. so was reborn into this , it now lives abroad .

somethingdifferant004.jpg

somethingdifferant002.jpg

somethingdifferant006.jpg

a hand forged hunter stick tang , made from a farriers file .

knifes002.jpg

knifes001.jpg

hand forged "canadian" knife , from file and ally , with my paper micarta . now in austria .

knifes019.jpg

knifes014.jpg

knifes022.jpg

knifes025.jpg

knifes015.jpg

knifes016.jpg

knifes020.jpg

the falconers set . featured in the country mans weekly . never sold given to my beautiful partner gemma for use with here peregrine at rooks .

knifes028.jpg

knifes030.jpg

bgh012.jpg

this is a demonstraighton of the knife cutting 200 pages of the phone book in one single slice !!

bgh009.jpg

bgh010.jpg

bgh011.jpg

a couple of hand forges file steel blanks .

knifes026.jpg

a re worked pat mitchel knife in stainless , owned by paulus from the hunting life

knifes024.jpg

knifes011.jpg

knifes010.jpg

the hellmando , this is the first it featured in the countrymans weekly , was was sent to london for a show of collectors .

hand forged from a farriers file on charcoal . and worked by hand . my own micarta handles ,this is my take on a camp /figher knife , a modern bowie !

falconersknifeandhellmando001.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando002.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando003.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando004.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando006.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando007.jpg

tapered tang , any body can grind one try forging one !!

falconersknifeandhellmando008.jpg

falconersknifeandhellmando010.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello lads , I enjoyed looking at all those knives . Interesting to me to see my work change as I went along . Ive not made a knife in a few years now . And only own two of my own (what an idiot , I

some of you have seen alot of these but i just want to show i dont just do laser cut 01 blanks . alot of these are hand forged by me , i dont know if folks know the differance between that and stock r

Our knives get a lot of use: anything from chopping brambles, skinning and butchering deer, to cutting up tripe. Brilliant knives which really keep their edge. As I said before, there's something a bi

this is the second hellmando, skycat from the the hunting life commisioned for her husband as a birthday gift . again hand forged and is as close as i could get to the original !!

same materials ,same aproach but i had to cut the steel more than forge it to get is so close .

i have a step by step photo work in progress for this if anybody wants to see it ? its long but documents the process well !

hellmando2051.jpg

hellmando2052.jpg

hellmando2053.jpg

hellmando2054.jpg

hellmando2055.jpg

hellmando2056.jpg

hellmando2057.jpg

hellmando2060.jpg

hellmando2059.jpg

and this is what it all began as !!!

just paper and files !!

hellmando2001.jpg

little and large , a greek copice (big fella) and my mother in laws walking knife . she wanted a pocket knife for her birthday and she got this . small one is file steel the big one is spring steel . both forged by me and finnished as they look leather bound and the other buffalo horn and ally . iv sold 2 small ones since this and 3 of the copice .

littleandlarge002.jpg

littleandlarge003.jpg

littleandlarge004.jpg

littleandlarge007.jpg

littleandlarge006.jpg

littleandlarge008.jpg

littleandlarge009.jpg

littleandlarge010.jpg

littleandlarge012.jpg

the motly crew, all made from leaf spring steel sold on here and gifted as xmass prseeis .

batchknives001.jpg

batchknives002.jpg

batchknives003.jpg

batchknives004.jpg

batchknives005.jpg

batchknives006.jpg

batchknives007.jpg

the middle one on the bottom row i kept and have been testing it to distruction . its cut up deer , done loads of carving etc and its still in beautiful condition , and takes any abuse throughn at it .!!

batchknives008.jpg

batchknives011.jpg

this one is a japaneese ainu makiri (native japanesse ) renowned bear hunters . owned by paulus from the hunting life .

file steel and buffalo , with hand forged makume gene (look that up ) its one of the most incredable materials and so so hard to make !!!

Ainu2.jpg

Ainu6.jpg

Ainu5.jpg

hellmakbush9.jpg

hellmakbush10.jpg

this is my first mini hellmando for skycat its hand forged from leaf spring steel . . it is mixed in with the ainu makiri and a bush craft knife . the bushy is in austria the mini hellmando is in cambridge and the jap knife is with paulus .

hellmakbush4.jpg

hellmakbush3.jpg

hellmakbush2.jpg

hellmakbush.jpg

hellmakbush5.jpg

hellmakbush6.jpg

hellmakbush7.jpg

hellmakbush8.jpg

hellmakbush11.jpg

my first damascus , small neck knife bought by a the hunting life member .

DSCF1234.jpg

DSCF1235.jpg

this is one of my 01 blanks that you lot dint buy ?

so i finnished it and sjt657 bought it last week . its got micarta handles . resin handled fire steel and kydex sheath , its nice to join in with you guys making the blanks into finnished knives .

2012_0228fireandneck0002.jpg

2012_0228fireandneck0008.jpg

can you see the pattern i etched in with acid ?

tiny neck knife sold with the above

2012_0228fireandneck0011.jpg

2012_0228fireandneck0033.jpg

there are more but i cant be bothered to load them all on to photobucket sorry .

i hope you enjoyed that ?

i have 5 mini hellmando blanks for sale this week and thats it !!!! they will never be available again . price aprox £40 posted , but you will have to wait until iv finnished them !!

all the best , matt.

Edited by midnight