got a few bits of meat in the freezer that im gona take out tmora mainly deer. just wondering what people prefair. iv got some fallow and roe there, some of my mates just dont like fallow, yet they love roe?

whats all that about?

me...i love it all?

Is there a big difference in the taste between the different types of deer?

When I've had venison I've no idea what kind of deer it came from. Does the word venison cover all kinds of deer like muntjac as well?

• 4 weeks later...

I just made some burgers with a mix from TONG MASTER it's venison and juniper berry. They are good. Mate of mine is a really good cook and recons they the best. I had 2 kilo's of belly and trims (venison) 2lb of pork belly about cup full of rusk ,minced and mixed. Left in fridge over night then sorted the next day. Spot on.

Only ever tasted Roe as thats all we have here. Heard that Red is alot stronger but most people i speak too say that Fallow is the best. I'd struggle to tell the difference i bet? To be fair if its cooked correctly its all delicious.... :yes:

ok here is a taste guide to the deer in britian the taste is also effected buy how long it is hung for I will start with the red/sika if hung for about 10 days about 4 degrees not over 5 will give a fairly strong game taste with quite a livery over tone the more it is hung the stronger the less it is hung the more it will taste like beef but still with a strong game over tone.

Fallow has a mild/strong game taste still a little on the livery side.

Roe has a mild game taste but is starting to taste more sweet then liver. I would not hang it for more then 5 days as you then start to get a stronger game taste which will over take the sweet taste

chinese water deer is a little like roe but a bit sweeter and should be treated in the same way.

Muntjac has very little in the way of a game taste is very sweet it is as close to eating lamb as you can get just alot sweeter. do not hang this for more then 3 days as the meat will start to taint. muntjac is my favourite and i love eating it raw cut finely like mince meat with lemon, chill sauce, salt, pepper and a little onion.

It is a real shame to here people say they can not taste the difference as this would indicate the meat they are eating has not been hung properly as in hung for to long. Just another note most people that do not like liver will not like red sika fallow roe or chiness and may not like munjac, the one that find liver ok will normally not like red or sika but be ok with fallow roe chinese and muntjac those that like liver will normally be ok with all species. I would always give someone that has not had game before muntjac and build up as the pallet normally needs time to adjust to the game taste. hope this helps

ok here is a taste guide to the deer in britian the taste is also effected buy how long it is hung for I will start with the red/sika if hung for about 10 days about 4 degrees not over 5 will give a fairly strong game taste with quite a livery over tone the more it is hung the stronger the less it is hung the more it will taste like beef but still with a strong game over tone.

Fallow has a mild/strong game taste still a little on the livery side.

Roe has a mild game taste but is starting to taste more sweet then liver. I would not hang it for more then 5 days as you then start to get a stronger game taste which will over take the sweet taste

chinese water deer is a little like roe but a bit sweeter and should be treated in the same way.

Muntjac has very little in the way of a game taste is very sweet it is as close to eating lamb as you can get just alot sweeter. do not hang this for more then 3 days as the meat will start to taint. muntjac is my favourite and i love eating it raw cut finely like mince meat with lemon, chill sauce, salt, pepper and a little onion.

It is a real shame to here people say they can not taste the difference as this would indicate the meat they are eating has not been hung properly as in hung for to long. Just another note most people that do not like liver will not like red sika fallow roe or chiness and may not like munjac, the one that find liver ok will normally not like red or sika but be ok with fallow roe chinese and muntjac those that like liver will normally be ok with all species. I would always give someone that has not had game before muntjac and build up as the pallet normally needs time to adjust to the game taste. hope this helps

Nice read that. I always like to know how long to hang any types of game for.... :thumbs: Only thing i would say is some folk have better sensing taste buds than others. There will be people out there that couldn't tell the difference from venison and beef never mind 2 different types of venison..... :thumbs:

You could get 100 responses to this and everyone will be different. Personaly its gotta be red first and fallow second. Never tasted a red that i considered strong or liver like in any way. Never tried roe or muntey cause we dont have them over here. The only other deer ive ate is sika and i wouldnt thank you for them but a few people i shoot with love them!! Atb Mark

if you have never eaten red with a game taste with a liver over tone it has not been hung for long enough, it has been hung for required time but at a to cold attemp or it farmed lol or your taste buds are shot. Most people eat red in a restaurants so it has probably come from farm and they dont hang them for to long 3 days at a push as most peoples taste buds can not handle the strong tastes but thanks for the comments. If you never eaten muntjac please try it it is the best meat out there.

i hate liver ,,, cant say as i have ever concidered it has a similar taste,,, i love muntys,, closly followed by roe

you say you hate liver looking at your favourite venison you agree with what i put as you like the 2 species I said have the least liver over tones. I not back tracking in what i said it just liver is the closes taste i know of to describe the over tone