.222 OR .22-250 best fox round

I have a gunsmith mate who uses 22-250 and a 22-4000 both custom made and he hand loads as well.

I have seen him shoot foxes and crows at incredible ranges with both.

He recently custom built a .20 for foxes was a superb rifle, very accurate and did the job.

My neighbour, who I go foxing with, has a Howa1500 in .223.

We have used both 55 grain and now 40 grain V max and both do well on fox.

In the past 7 months we have taken over 70 foxes with this combination so it must be OK?

Has anyone tried Privi Partisan in .223 ???

Tried Privi Partisan in .308 and it's spot on>

Hi mate I have tried a few now, for my money if you go for 22/250 you might as well go for 243 loaded down to 75 grain h/p, at least then should you venture into deer stalking a bullet. Weight change and you are sorted with one rifle, however my favourite for a long time has been 222, but for some reason I decided to change to 223 last season and I am pleased with it, 52 grn hollow point bullet very accurate, not done anything further than 200 yds with it yet, if it's one fox rifle you are after either 222 or 223 will serve you well, I would check amo availability in you area for for both then buy accordingly unless you are home loading in which case again 222 or 223 are both easy to load for good luck with your decision

I have a gunsmith mate who uses 22-250 and a 22-4000 both custom made and he hand loads as well.

He recently custom built a .20 for foxes was a superb rifle, very accurate and did the job.

In the past 7 months we have taken over 70 foxes with this combination so it must be OK?

Might be worth a punt seeing that it is half the price of Hornaday!

Might be worth a punt seeing that it is half the price of Hornaday!

Yeh never heard anything bad about them.

I think the best bit of advice on the thread so far is what does your closest ammunition stockist have in the store regularly :yes:

That will be the deciding factor, it was for me when I started but I reload now anyway.

My personal opinion being that in the hilly fields in say Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion where I shoot sometimes, a .223 is more than enough gun with plenty of ammunition around and doesn't cost as much as the .22-250.