.222 OR .22-250 best fox round

Hiya mate.

22-250 is a bit much really for fox unless you have large fields across large amounts of land. People think they need the bigger cartridge and faster velocities but really the small amounts of powder from say a .222 or .223 is more than enough to kill a fox at range mate.

If its a dedicated fox rifle then pick a the most common of the rounds like the .222 or .223. They will cater for you're needs and will be more than enough to kill a fox. !

• Like 1

Have the .22-250 and think it's a brilliant round, also use it for roe up here in Scotland, never had a .222 although I beleive it is a very capable round for fox with mild recoil.

ATB

Bob.

Edited by bob.243
  • Like 1

Everyone with a particular caliber will say theirs is best .

But lets look at it realisticly :- Night shooting 300m is a long shot and both calibers are easily up to the job.

Ammo what can YOU buy locally and for how much ?

Noise/Flash and recoil the .22-250 do's more than the .222 at all three !

Impact the .222 kills cleanly, the .22-250 makes big exits.

Balistic tip IS a holow point with a plastic insert to prevent damage to the bullet in mag and improve aero.

What would i recomend ? Well i have a .22-250 and a .17 fireball But for someone in your shoes it has to be .223 !!

Hi

I could have opted for 22-250 but chose to go 223 because I would be shooting fox this side of 200yds and knew that cal was well upto the job, the 22/250 is a beast and despite what the land check passed for I thought it was a bit ott,ive had no reason to dis the 223 as yet as it's doing what the other would do but with less recoil,less flash and less mess lol.don't get me wrong I was bloody tempted by the 22-250 but is wasn't necessary to be honest,

Atb

.222. Very accurate,I used Federal 40 grain ballistic tips, clean kills with no exit most of the time. No muzzle flip, no recoil. Whichever calibre you decide to get, put a sound moderator on it. Used the .222 for 3 yrs then changed to a .204. Both do a great job.

Have a 22-250 and my friend has a .223. Love the 22-250 very flat round. Was abit muzzle flipey when I got it but put a silencer on it now and it shoots real sweet! As for the friends .223 shes real accurate too but hes too tight to buy v-max for it and insists on shooting soft nose rounds. I've shoot a few definite rib busters with it that run on. I shoot soft nose from the 250 at the start also and didn't have the same problem. Id imagine V-max from the .223 would give you no problems. I wouldn't like to be hit with one anyway!! :thumbs: ATB Mark.

Got a 17 fireball had a 222 and had two 22/250s still got the one. All do the job imo living in the big hilly open fields of wales

The 22/250 would be best choice. 50 gain bullet out of them at 3800 fps very little holder over at longer ranges.

And that bit more stopping power. Noise never really worried about that. Yes the muzzle does flip abit more then 222.

But a good mod and a varmint barrel soon sorts that out

I have a gunsmith mate who uses 22-250 and a 22-4000 both custom made and he hand loads as well.

I have seen him shoot foxes and crows at incredible ranges with both.

He recently custom built a .20 for foxes was a superb rifle, very accurate and did the job.

My neighbour, who I go foxing with, has a Howa1500 in .223.

We have used both 55 grain and now 40 grain V max and both do well on fox.

In the past 7 months we have taken over 70 foxes with this combination so it must be OK?

Has anyone tried Privi Partisan in .223 ???

Edited by masmiffy