hare day

The pest control issue seems to have been missed by a certain ignoramous. How long would it take for lurchers to cull that many hares?

Here's a thought too. Before I was into dogs, I was purely a shooter, no more or less. I had no intention of hunting with dogs back then but still opposed the ban in every way I could. Why?

Because, united we stand. If we pick and choose which field sports we stand for, we risk losing our own hunting passion.

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had hare day last sat ! 371 hares shot all money from the day goes to charity pictures to follow

I wonder how many got back ended and ran on with broken leg's...i'm pretty open minded with all aspect's of hunting but i just can't get my head around shooting hare's especially with shot gun's..mayb

some of youse want to get a grip I don't shoot hare/woodcock or jay that's my choice if some one else wants to thats for their own conscience to pacify but to criticise some one for it smacks at hypoc

Good day by the sound of it,be nice to see a few pics of the day,not many hares where I shoot so I leave them be,but saying that the dog lads still try to see em off without success, to be fair the last dog I saw was about as fit as an asmatic pit pony so no wonder,I see why they have the drives where it's over populated areas, they must cause alot of damage,and the charity would appreciate the money,good on ya

Atb

The truth is, this shoot probably shoots this many hares every year, and probably has done for years. Like a lot of the east anglian hare shoots they are sustainable.

Where I am we have plenty of hare including loads of mountain hares, but not in those numbers.

I personally like to see the hares, and leave them well alone until asked to cull a few, and then it has to be done.

I just hate it when I am asked to shoot them, simply from keeping the lampers off the land.

Mate I aint no office worker ! Im a ful qualified. Pest controller and majority of guns out are beaters off the estate ! Al all beatets walked with guns so pretty much all hares were covered ! ! Tell you what mate with mindless threats u deserve never to own any type of fire arm imo ! awhat im doin aint illegal so get over your self !

• Like 1

I am a member of a shoot and i also run lurchers, but i find hare drives abhorrent, to say you need to be a good shot to kill driven hares is a joke any numpty can do it, a high fast pheasant is a different matter. The idea that it was all done in the name of charity seems to me to be a bit of a let out clause, why not just donate. Ive been invited on these sportless massacres and as a shot who prides myself on sporting values would certainly never attend.

• Like 2

some of youse want to get a grip I don't shoot hare/woodcock or jay that's my choice if some one else wants to thats for their own conscience to pacify but to criticise some one for it smacks at hypocrisy to me why folks can't do what they do and leave others to get on with theirs is beyond me To my way of thinking it makes folks no better than antis mithering on about something which frankly don't affect them.

• Like 3

Snow on the ground a few weeks ago ,driving to the woods to get ready for the roost shooting noticed a discovery spinning round the fields letting dogs out & coursing the hares( true sports men ) they set off & left a lurcher in the field with a dead hare ,when we caught up with them (on the travelers site near the estate) motor still running doors open & no one their,couple of young lads came out saying it had been dumped? told them to go & collect the dog in the field .(what can you do with theese people?) .Now ive been asked to go out & shoot as many hares as possible round the estate 46 so far its shame ,i used to ha ve lurchers years ago & enjoyed a good course. If they had walked the land & coursed the hares no one would have minded, its the damge theyve caused to the crops & land with their motors .(so hares are to be shot because of some mindles tossers),

if travellers shot like this shooting would be bnned its a disgrace,

edited to say and some people who lamp hares get shit,

honestly this is a disgrace anyone who takes part in one of these drives wants there gun beating around there f****n head,

Lurcher man by any chance?

A fair bet (mind isnt that illegal?)

I'll tell you one thing i'd rather hear of 300 being shot, dished out to the guns, beaters, pickers up at the end of the day and the rest go to the game dealers than 1 being caught by a dog and thrown in the nearest ditch.

lab how many of the hares on a shoot where 350 where shot got away after being shot at????

what did the beaters push through for the guns pity i not got a good lurcher it proberly would have a field day the day after picking easy wounded hares up all over the place,

Yes there's no doubt that a few hares on the day took a few pellets and unfortunately will die earlier on. That's part and parcel with shooting and probably the only downside too it. Every gun that pulls the trigger is hoping for a clean kill and anyone who isn't should stick the gun in there mouth.

I have a funny feeling it's nothing to do with the numbers being taken its a jealousy thing cause someone is getting to do it and your not. Well maybe I'd like to stand under driven pheasants 30 days a season but I ain't got the money but I don't abuse folk who can.

When there's very little hares left in the country I'll be right behind you in saying "stop these days" but when these numbers are being taken year in year out it seems to me the hare population is doing just fine!!!!

• Like 1