last morning flight of the 2011/12 fowling season

well this was the last morning flight for me today as i have work in the morning ,

i had been out lamping till 2.30 am and when the alarm went off this morning the thought was there at the back of my mind should i , should i not!! but no i slung the quilt back and got my old aching bones out my pit got dressed and down to put the kettle on and get my kit ready , it was 10 past five when i left the house, it's about 10 minute run to the particular marsh i was shooting this morning ...

i got to the car park and to my suprise there was no other fowlers down so i got kitted up and set off to my chosen spot , it was just breaking light when i got to my spot there is not much cover where i was, so i got in on the side of the river on a cliff ledge with the dog at the side of me , i loaded the auto up and was sat waiting when there was a single grey come up the river but he went to wide for a decent shot ...

another 20 minutes past and i could hear some canadas on the move , i got tucked right in as i could hear them getting closer. i had a quick look and could see they were going to be just wide of me , with that my chance was on..... i pulled onto the last bird of the outside of the skeen as it would be the closest , i hit him with my first but he carried on, i gave him a second shot and rolled him over mid air but no! he was still not finished he picked himself up and dropped to about 2ft of the water and was banking left back towards me , i stayed on him and he was heading straight back towards me , i dropped my gun and pulled back onto him and took him clean out straight over my head and he dropped behind me the dog was straight onto him ..

after about 5 minutes , i thought the dog was taking his time, so i went over to have a look where he was and i could see him trying to drag it out a little ankle snapper , it was quite funny to watch but with a bit of encouragement he did drag it back by it's head ..

when he got it back to me i could see the reason why he struggled it was one big mother of a canada , we got back in and sat there for another hour and seeing just 3 golden eye go up the middle of the river to far out for a shot i decided to head for home , i put the big mother in my rucksack and onto my shoulders and i thought **** i can see why you struggled lad with it, also i was pleased there was not more to carry off ..

well all in all it was a good flight with a nice sunrise plenty of waders about with some great sounds too ..

080.jpg

078.jpg

077.jpg