Advice please on how to kill off nettles...organically if possible.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glyphosate is Systemic, so it will kills roots... In certain agricultural applications soapy water is added to aid application, and ensure coverage. Some consumer brands contain surfactants to do the

get your thick leather gloves on, pull the buggers up by the roots, chances are theres been farmyard manure put on the raised beds at some point as sure as eggs is eggs, when yer puts shit on yer plot

It doesn't matter what the brand name is as long as the chemical within is glyphosate. I bought some in Homebase a couple of years ago and their cheapest bottle was half the price per litre than Round

Glyphosate is Systemic, so it will kills roots...

In certain agricultural applications soapy water is added to aid application, and ensure coverage. Some consumer brands contain surfactants to do the same thing.

Most likely cause of failure is emergence after application... (It is post emergence) or incorrect application..

Otherwise it is a good, safe chemical..

• Like 1

Glyphosate is Systemic, so it will kills roots...

In certain agricultural applications soapy water is added to aid application, and ensure coverage. Some consumer brands contain surfactants to do the same thing.

Most likely cause of failure is emergence after application... (It is post emergence) or incorrect application..

Otherwise it is a good, safe chemical..

.....ah, that makes sense now.

I've been digging over the last few days and turning the soil over...those roots go down so deep.

Will use roundup as soon as the shoots come through...is that right? Do I wait until some green shoots are up?

We were going to put some hens on there, but then we were told hens wouldn't touch nettles. I suppose the roundup way is quicker too.

Lots of nettles.......i'd bet my bottom dollar theres been hens or something similar on the patch before? You can get stuff called Grazon as well, it will kill the nettles but wont effect any grass that might be there. Obviously not organic but really the only way to do that is to pull them out... :thumbs:

Lots of nettles.......i'd bet my bottom dollar theres been hens or something similar on the patch before? You can get stuff called Grazon as well, it will kill the nettles but wont effect any grass that might be there. Obviously not organic but really the only way to do that is to pull them out... :thumbs:

Not sure about chickens being there before...maybe? There are four big raised beds, which are totally infested with nettles...the others aren't as bad. But the digging is a nightmare!

get your thick leather gloves on, pull the buggers up by the roots, chances are theres been farmyard manure put on the raised beds at some point as sure as eggs is eggs, when yer puts shit on yer plot, yer gets lots of nettles.

• Like 1

I dont think you can buy Roundup of the shelf now. Someone mentioned it already but the equilent to it now is Gallup and its just as good.