Advice please on how to kill off nettles...organically if possible.

Hi...we've recently bought an old farm/small holding which has a really good sized kitchen garden. The problem is the raised beds are full of very well established nettles. They've all died back now with the frost and snow, but in October when we bought the place, they were about 6' high...and thick.

We've had lots of different advice on how to get rid of them permanently. We strimmed them down in October, but obviously the roots are still in there.

Does anyone know how to eradicate them, so that we can use the raised beds this spring/summer? I'd like to use an organic method if at all possible.

Thanks...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glyphosate is Systemic, so it will kills roots... In certain agricultural applications soapy water is added to aid application, and ensure coverage. Some consumer brands contain surfactants to do the

get your thick leather gloves on, pull the buggers up by the roots, chances are theres been farmyard manure put on the raised beds at some point as sure as eggs is eggs, when yer puts shit on yer plot

It doesn't matter what the brand name is as long as the chemical within is glyphosate. I bought some in Homebase a couple of years ago and their cheapest bottle was half the price per litre than Round

Hi...we've recently bought an old farm/small holding which has a really good sized kitchen garden. The problem is the raised beds are full of very well established nettles. They've all died back now with the frost and snow, but in October when we bought the place, they were about 6' high...and thick.

We've had lots of different advice on how to get rid of them permanently. We strimmed them down in October, but obviously the roots are still in there.

Does anyone know how to eradicate them, so that we can use the raised beds this spring/summer? I'd like to use an organic method if at all possible.

Thanks...

round up. i know its not organic but it works.

Oh thanks.....if we use round up, does it mean we can't plant any veg in there for a while?

Another thought I had was to put a few chickens on there, but we weren't sure whether they would scratch up the roots...nettle roots are quite deep aren't they?

To be honest Ive not yet found a great method to get to get rid of nettles organically..

On areas in our wood we tend to hit them heavy a couple of times a year with the strimmer..

but the only cure is as stated glyphosate or equivalent.

But no, VEG can be planted quite quickly after application as it is a contact, post emergence, non selective herbicide, as appose to a residual herbicide.

Follow the advice on the packet, and you shouldnt go wrong.

Yes. That was of my main concerns actually, losing the butterflies....I'm leaving one big patch of nettles down at the bottom...I've just been out there now and there are lots of hibernating ladybirds in amongst them...hope they're the indigenous variety. We have Budleja and Alysum and other butterfly attracting plants and a huge lavender bed.. I do like to attract wildlife, in whatever form, into the garden.

I think the digging sounds the best bet, if not the easiest! If it weren't for the fact that they're monopolising the raised beds, I'd leave them be.

I have seen all sort's used on nettle's and the just keep coming back..the only sure fire way to reduce them is dig them out this time of the year before they start growing back and stinging the hand's of you..

Round up will deffinitely kill the top's of but not the root's..but like you say you can dig them out..the only thing with old established nettle patches is it is hard and slow work getting them out..and it will be a ongoing job for a couple of year's picking and stragler's up that are missed because they just keep rooting..

Dig the roots now. When the bits you miss start emerging spray them with glyphosate. As has been said glyphosate is a contact herbicide and breaks up in soil so you'll be fine planting this year. To totally rid your beds of nettles you'll need 2 or 3 applications though but you could spot treat the individual weeds as they come up.