Some Lurchers n Ferts - brining pup on

Headed over to Hedgey's to give him a hand on the burrows. It was a warm morning so not the most comfortable of ferreting days and we expected to be plagued by small conies, but i had expressed that it was better than sitting at home, and i was keen to continue Roxy's development.

We set up nets in the normal fashion, and i placed a few purse nets as i have previously to let Roxy experience these tools of the trade.

Ferts went in and straigh off, the rabbits started bolting clear of the hedges. These are clearly the deserters of the coney race... :lol: .....as once they had gone, the ferts were left to chase the small conies around, killing as they went in most cases or providing some mini bolters for the dogs.

It was a frustrating morning for myself. Roxy was fine with the nets as per usual, but certainly first thing, she was very much sitting near me, holding away from the warrens, or staring elsewhere.

The rabbits we initially caught, she would pick up and run off with, only to dump them across the fields or sit next to them.....in a display i have seen alot over recent months. There were spells of good ferreting action from her......short lived, but some spells....then she put the icing on the cake when she stole a baby coney from my rabbit stash and proceeded to eat the dam thing.....every time i tried to get close to her, she would feck off further...wolfing the meat down... :twisted: :twisted: I gave up in the end as i didnt want to make too much noise and was clearly not going to win this one, plus the ferts were still to ground and there was other stuff to focus on. As soon as her belly was full, she trotted over as if nothing had happened and continued to watch the net lines..... :lol: love em or hate em????

Hedgey then said his dog was marking an adjacent hedgerow, so we upped nets, re set and got on with the next warren.

Same as before , lots of good size bunnies bolting initially, then the babes, then the lay ups...... Roxy, however, was far more settled. :D We were on the higher side to the hedge, and she had to stand closer to it all to see the bulk of the action on the lower side, the advantage now with regards her experience building was that the rabbits were bolting close to her. :D One large bunny she was able to capture before it got overly tangled in the web, and all the baby rabbits she caught before they hit the nets or holes.

As is normal, she carrys her catch fine, then does the laps of honour and then dumps her kill, however, on the new hedge, she reluctanly, but knowingly, brought in her first live to hand bunny, nice full size (it was almost as if it clicked to her that giving it to me was easier than running around with the wriggling lump of fur)....and then shortly after she caught a babe, that again, the reluctanly brought in :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

With the nets up, we sorted out the two lie ups, and set for home.

We bagged a nice clean 13 full growns, half a dozen youngsters and probably left more squeekers below ground. Might sound harsh, but then the farmer wants the rabbt numbers dropped, and thats two hedges cleared in a mornings work.....happy days :D

The squeekers were also ideal for roxy's confidence. ;) She caught one randomly in the open field, and three or four on the hedge bottoms...which should have helped accelerate her experience levels......well i hope so.

There is a slide show below of all the images i took, click the link

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v491/delbertio/Feb%2011%20Ferts/?albumview=slideshow

I managed plenty of pics whilst i lay in wait mid field, basking in the sun with a T-shirt on...these are the ones i liked with some comments.

feb12ivans064.jpg

The spot

feb12ivans092.jpg

The double hedges

feb12ivans006.jpg

"the apprintice"..... Lord Sugar

feb12ivans002.jpg

The Rebel......

feb12ivans003.jpg

Without a cause.....

feb12ivans012.jpg

More chinanigoons...

feb12ivans007.jpg

spells of focus.....

feb12ivans018.jpg

feb12ivans028.jpg

feb12ivans033.jpg

Some odd stances......

feb12ivans053.jpg

To stop the deserters.....

feb12ivans065.jpg

feb12ivans066.jpg

feb12ivans068.jpg

bagged

feb12ivans050.jpg

feb12ivans069.jpg

feb12ivans071.jpg

feb12ivans072.jpg

feb12ivans073.jpg

feb12ivans075.jpg

feb12ivans085.jpg

steady as they come

feb12ivans096.jpg

mid morning

feb12ivans103.jpg

the next hedge

feb12ivans106.jpg

more in tune..... (full belly)

feb12ivans112.jpg

feb12ivans113.jpg

nabbed from within

.....and eventually first retrieve....

feb12ivans114.jpg

feb12ivans115.jpg

feb12ivans116.jpg

feb12ivans119.jpg

training aids......

feb12ivans124.jpg

Paw up markers....... :D

feb12ivans127.jpg

feb12ivans129.jpg

then the retrieve....eventually

feb12ivans132.jpg

feb12ivans134.jpg

feb12ivans140.jpg

un sung hero

feb12ivans150.jpg

have also established she is not one for the end of day........ :)

• Like 2

nice one mate looks like a cracking day,, and more experiance for the pup,,,

you cetainly took some photos,, must be nice to have the time to sit back and just click away with the camera :tongue2: does that mean hedgy was doing all the work :whistling:

nice one mate looks like a cracking day,, and more experiance for the pup,,,

you cetainly took some photos,, must be nice to have the time to sit back and just click away with the camera :tongue2: does that mean hedgy was doing all the work :whistling:

TOMO, i spent most of the session lying in the grass snapping away....... and let thedog do the work. old hegey has his own sie to worry about ;)

we dont all have a net man or bag carrier ...... so i did have a few sprint moments....i call it rabbit bolt circuit training, almost like a blep test ;)

Good pics and write up Rob :thumbs:

If you can scrape a Wednesday off fairly soon, your welcome to come down and

show off your long netting skills and give me another lesson :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers, D.

dave.... i just been off all week! back on monady till end of march.

might have to book a wednesday

• Like 1