Legal to own cpc that has potential over 12psi?

Hi all, i have had a spring break barrel HW 35 for years but looking to buy cpc gun. A mate has offered me an old Thoeben mk 1 i think rapid 7. It can be cranked up to whatever you like. If i was to keep it set sub 12psi can i legally own it without a licence? Or would i be safer looking for something tamper proof?

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Illiteracy!

As long as you are aware, that using a section 1 airgun without an FAC is worth 5 years.

the rapid was made in fac aswell as 12ft lbs, ive got one on fac, the cut out in the stock at the rear of the bolt was done at the manufacturing stage, most pcp`s can be tampered with. but as long as

i was told that if you can ajust the power up without striping the gun down it was illigal to own it??

only what i was told thow

chris

A tool is required but it is quick to do and no stripping down so sounds a bit dodgy, prefer there to be no grey area as not worth 5 years. Pity as it is one of the lightest most accurate guns i have used.

Thanks for the feedback.

i heard of a lad who had a gun that could if wanted be tweaked up in power using an alan key without stripping the gun down, and was told he has got done for it?

i would defo ask youre local gun shop to confirm this before buying mate

chris

Its scary Griff to know that rifles like these exist. Especially if, as Pipa said, it is illegal to own one with an appropriate FAC. If he wasn't your mate and sold it onto a stranger as a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle, even under chronograph, the innocent buyer could be in possession of an illegal air rilfe without even knowing it.

Its a very good question you've posted. Could you not ask your local firearms dept or, as Pipa said a registered Firearms Dealer. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I have a FAC and have phoned my local firearms dept for advice on numerous ocassions. They are very helpful people. Well! Mine were.. :)

At the end of it all, if you are still in any doubt Griff, I would either leave it alone. Are you interested in FAC air. If so, have you ever thought of applying for a certificate??

Its scary Griff to know that rifles like these exist. Especially if, as Pipa said, it is illegal to own one with an appropriate FAC. If he wasn't your mate and sold it onto a stranger as a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle, even under chronograph, the innocent buyer could be in possession of an illegal air rilfe without even knowing it.

Its a very good question you've posted. Could you not ask your local firearms dept or, as Pipa said a registered Firearms Dealer. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I have a FAC and have phoned my local firearms dept for advice on numerous ocassions. They are very helpful people. Well! Mine were.. :)

At the end of it all, if you are still in any doubt Griff, I would either leave it alone. Are you interested in FAC air. If so, have you ever thought of applying for a certificate??

Never realy thought abot or looked in to a FAC cert. What is involved and what is the cost? Is it a one off or a yearly renewal?

the mk1 rapdis can be turned up easy (as can may guns)there is a allen key at the rear near the bolt,,if the stocks been cut away then its a dead sign of it been

ing tamperd with....shall say no more..

the rapid was made in fac aswell as 12ft lbs, ive got one on fac, the cut out in the stock at the rear of the bolt was done at the manufacturing stage, most pcp`s can be tampered with. but as long as this rapid shows 12ft lbs or less on a chrono then its legal to own off fac. if you want, take it to a gun smith and get the adjuster blanked off and a certificate of power of him.
  • Like 1

the mk1 rapdis can be turned up easy (as can may guns)there is a allen key at the rear near the bolt,,if the stocks been cut away then its a dead sign of it been

the rapid was made in fac aswell as 12ft lbs, ive got one on fac, the cut out in the stock at the rear of the bolt was done at the manufacturing stage, most pcp`s can be tampered with. but as long as this rapid shows 12ft lbs or less on a chrono then its legal to own off fac. if you want, take it to a gun smith and get the adjuster blanked off and a certificate of power of him.

Sounds a bit of a mine field.

I see a mk 1 for sale at the moment on the listings page and they come up fairly regularly. What other guns should one avoid if there is to be no question as to whether it is a sub 12ft lbs?

If most pcp's can be tampered with what would the law look for in examining your gun? And more importantly what would you get nicked for?

Sounds a bit of a mine field.

I see a mk 1 for sale at the moment on the listings page and they come up fairly regularly. What other guns should one avoid if there is to be no question as to whether it is a sub 12ft lbs?

If most pcp's can be tampered with what would the law look for in examining your gun? And more importantly what would you get nicked for?

they would just test the power on a chronograph, you would get knicked for illigal possesion of a firearm.

If you can adjust it over 12 ftlbs it would need to be on a fac and remember if you take it into an rfd and it chronos over 12 he cannot legally return the gun to you Do NOT ask your police firearms dept. Ask your shooting association SACS/BASC etc they will tell you what the law is not what they want it to be as the police often do.